TDI Sportswagen Emissions Warranty: Flexibility with VW?

tdi.moto

TDI
2012 Sportswagen TDI
Hello TDI Club.
This is my first post. I own a 2012 Jetta Sportswagen TDI that was part of Dieselgate.
I recently called to check in on my warranty because I've been getting P2002 and P4010 codes. My "proof of correction" slip from VW states that the car was inspected with 90,620 miles on it.
According to VW, I wouldn't qualfy for the 10-year or 120k miles coverage, however, I am 200 miles off of the 4 year or 48k miles coverages stated on page 12 here: https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Automatic_Final.pdf
My question:
Has anyone been able to convince a VW dealer to be flexible with this warranty? According to page 12, if I were to add 48k miles to the 90,620 miles on the car when it was corrected, I would be ~200 miles over the limit.
Explaining that I am JUST 200 miles off which could be the difference in a covered EGR + DPF versus $3,000+ out of pocket is a huge deal for me.
Thank you in anticipation and welcome all tips.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All you can do is try. If you know your dealer they may stand up for you. But you also have to understand they want out from under these cars and will probably refuse any goodwill. If your dealer refuses try calling the 1-800 VW number and try and get them on board. Have you already spoken to the dealer and been refused?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Expect ZERO flexibility. Get the diagnostic done at the dealer before the mileage is up. If that means not driving it (at all) until you can get a service appointment, don't drive it. If it's two miles to the dealer and there's one mile left on warranty ... get it towed there so that there's one mile left on warranty as it sits on the dealer's lot with the "check engine" light on.

Expect that if it is one metre past the covered distance or one hour past the covered time ... that it's not covered.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Hello TDI Club.
This is my first post. I own a 2012 Jetta Sportswagen TDI that was part of Dieselgate.
I recently called to check in on my warranty because I've been getting P2002 and P4010 codes. My "proof of correction" slip from VW states that the car was inspected with 90,620 miles on it.
According to VW, I wouldn't qualfy for the 10-year or 120k miles coverage, however, I am 200 miles off of the 4 year or 48k miles coverages stated on page 12 here: https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen2_Automatic_Final.pdf
My question:
Has anyone been able to convince a VW dealer to be flexible with this warranty? According to page 12, if I were to add 48k miles to the 90,620 miles on the car when it was corrected, I would be ~200 miles over the limit.
Explaining that I am JUST 200 miles off which could be the difference in a covered EGR + DPF versus $3,000+ out of pocket is a huge deal for me.
Thank you in anticipation and welcome all tips.
That doc says 51k miles after the fix. I would check coverage again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I thought the dieselgate warranty was 11 years/162K miles from the original inservice date or 4/48 from sale, whichever was greater. If I'm right abouth the 11/162 you're still OK. I don't have my warranty paperwork handy so I can't check, but that's what I recall.

tdi.moto

TDI
2012 Sportswagen TDI
That doc says 51k miles after the fix. I would check coverage again.
Here's what I'm seeing when I type in my VIN to https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

''Extended Emissions Warranty Information*:
The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Aug 31, 2017 and 90,620 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.''

This might've been for Gen2 TDI: https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen2_Automatic_Final.pdf

:/

tdi.moto

TDI
2012 Sportswagen TDI
All you can do is try. If you know your dealer they may stand up for you. But you also have to understand they want out from under these cars and will probably refuse any goodwill. If your dealer refuses try calling the 1-800 VW number and try and get them on board. Have you already spoken to the dealer and been refused?
I spoke to someone on the 1-800 VW number, they actually said I should be able to get the EGR costs reimbursed even though I went through a 3rd party mechanic... I'll know more about the car on Monday.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
If I read your post correctly, you have a DSG Generation 1 with 138,820 miles? The warranty is whichever works best for the customer, so a 14 with 50,000 miles modified 9/17.... best option is the 10 year 120,000 miles (4 years /48,000 would run out in 2021 or 98,000 miles). In your car’s case the 4 years /48,000 is best as it runs out at 138,620 miles instead of 120,000 miles. Unfortunately when the mileage is over the limit, it’s over, warranty is out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We just had a customer get denied a warranty claim because the car was 18 DAYS past expiration. So yeah, if you are out, you are out.

tdi.moto

TDI
2012 Sportswagen TDI
Update: It's at the shop, they're going to cover the cost of the EGR even though it was done through a 3rd party. They're test driving to replicate the CEL because it went off but they said they're going to attempt to do a "Good Will" replacement.