TDI shaking and shuttering under load

matthew delfunt

TDI
04 vw passat diesel
Good afternoon I am reaching out because I’ve exhausted all my other resources with trying to get my 05 Jetta 1.9 tdi not to shake and shutter under a hard pull. It’s a mid 05 mk5 body style Jetta 5 speed. Some mk4s from my understanding were also made in early 05. I’ve removed/deleted the egr valve/cooler and intake valve and installed race pipe that came with egr delete kit. Has a 2 1/2 hood stack exhaust no cat. Mind y’all it still shuttered and shaking before these mods. Does it need a tune? I’m not sure if it’s being told not to inject more or less fuel/air from the changes I’ve made. Thank you

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Describe the shake and stutter?.is it only when taking off or any time you pull a hill at any speed or anything? Does it smoke at the same time?

matthew delfunt

TDI
04 vw passat diesel
what tune do I need? Not to familiar with tuning vws. I do have VCDS. It does it in any gear and is worse when at high speeds and low rpms and you get on it. Starts to shake real bad like it’s loosing fuel or something. I’ve also noticed a weird noise coming from my transmission when in 1st or reverse. Sounds like metal teeth skipping across one another. I figured maybe a cv? I jacked the car up and put it in gear and listened and it sounded the worse where the passenger cv enters the trans.

matthew delfunt

TDI
04 vw passat diesel
what tune do I need? Not to familiar with tuning vws. I do have VCDS. It does it in any gear and is worse when at high speeds and low rpms and you get on it. Starts to shake real bad like it’s loosing fuel or something. I’ve also noticed a weird noise coming from my transmission when in 1st or reverse. Sounds like metal teeth skipping across one another. I figured maybe a cv? I jacked the car up and put it in gear and listened and it sounded the worse where the passenger cv enters the trans.
I also know I need engine/trans mounts. I can rock the whole engine/trans back and forth an inch or so.

matthew delfunt

TDI
04 vw passat diesel
It smokes way more when this happens too. Normally it’s in 1st it’ll act like it has no turbo and blow a ton of smoke and then the turbo seems to spool up and everything’s normal. It doesn’t happen every time either.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It smokes way more when this happens too. Normally it’s in 1st it’ll act like it has no turbo and blow a ton of smoke and then the turbo seems to spool up and everything’s normal. It doesn’t happen every time either.
Sounds very much like the stop screw adjustment problem. Its very common with them, but often the stop screw isn't adjustable anymore due to rust. Check this thread out and test it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Good afternoon I am reaching out because I’ve exhausted all my other resources with trying to get my 05 Jetta 1.9 tdi not to shake and shutter under a hard pull. It’s a mid 05 mk5 body style Jetta 5 speed. Some mk4s from my understanding were also made in early 05. I’ve removed/deleted the egr valve/cooler and intake valve and installed race pipe that came with egr delete kit. Has a 2 1/2 hood stack exhaust no cat. Mind y’all it still shuttered and shaking before these mods. Does it need a tune? I’m not sure if it’s being told not to inject more or less fuel/air from the changes I’ve made. Thank you
Did the prior owner do any 'modifications' before you got it? Can you provide a video of the shuddering / shaking?

Steve