TDI Repair or Pass On

ulysses

TDI
BEETLE, BLUE, XENON, LTHR
I am a long time TDI owner...continuously since 2000.
My BEW 2004 Beetle with about 186K is due for it's second timing belt operation.
On the fence whether or not I want to do it unless I find someone I can trust in my area to do the work.

Escaped Northern VA recently and don't have repair options here east of Richmond, unless I want to be fleeced by a dealer.

Car is in decent condition overall but could use a bit or reconditioning....

Car is out of inspection since Spring 2020 and I just use it like a FARM USE vehicle...shuttling between my house and the local marina.
Nothing I know of at this point that will prevent passing inspection.

SO....LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS ON FAIR AND KNOWLEDGABLE TDI REPAIR FACILITY IN THE CENTRAL VA REGION (metro Richmond and East/SE).

If I cannot find one I will be putting it up for sale.
Dark Blue, Leather, Sunroof, Xenon, Manual, no stereo in it. Good tires with plenty of life left. Single penny size ding in pass door, no other damage.
Original owner. Always garage kept. Always Motul 501 (due). Runs fine, always starts, always has started.
Can't think of anything other than stereo that isn't functional, though cruise control is intermittent at times and key fobs are shot (manual lock only).

I will be making my decision within the next couple of weeks.

Richard,
N Prince George, VA

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Have you thought about replacing the belt yourself? Not that difficult and far cheaper then a shop

ulysses

TDI
Have you thought about replacing the belt yourself? Not that difficult and far cheaper then a shop
Holy crap, no!

Tools. Patience. F-bombs and band-aids. I leave that sort of stuff to trained pros, or those that know *** they're doing.

I'm sure I'd screw it up, then what?

ulysses

TDI
Hi

How about using a guru? How far are you able / willing to drive?
Probably willing to drive 1.5hrs, but will need references for guru.
Would have to wait no way to get back.
No luck in past with guru list here on club...no response to inquiries.
Car has not driven far in a couple of years, prefer a lot closer.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Probably willing to drive 1.5hrs, but will need references for guru.
Would have to wait no way to get back.
No luck in past with guru list here on club...no response to inquiries.
Car has not driven far in a couple of years, prefer a lot closer.
HI,

I would recommend TDI guru Tom here on the forum .... he goes by ninedee_golf_tdi I believe but he is in Stafford VA which is only about an hour from you (FWIW - He's about 2 hours from me but worth the drive ! .... I even have to get a ride back since I often get several things done at once BUT with planning and an early start I could have just waited there but I didn't want to rush him or pressure him with me being there , plus I had to work anyways so I just dropped off but you can possibly wait while he works)

He works on my TDI and does really good work at reasonable prices ... I have had him do everything from timing belts to injection pumps to exhaust work.... I have nearly 393K on my car now and Tom has been very helpful (I learned later he even worked on the car for the previous owner (I bought the car in Manassas) .

You may want to reach out to him while he is in the area and I don'y know if it helps or not but you can mention that I referred you to him if that helps.

If you can't reach him through the forum, I can try calling him for you but I don't want to just give out his number without at least me at least asking him if it's ok but I imagine it would be since I think he is on the list of gurus anyways.

Andrew

Last edited:

ulysses

TDI
Thanks for the information. I have decided to sell the car. Look for the listing on this site shortly.