Tdi purchase

Mrbblue801

TDI
Jetta tdi
I found 3 jetta tdi for 12,900 all 3 have between 89,000 to 91,000 miles. 2012 2013 and 2014. Are these good years? And what should I ask about them? Like has the timing belt been replaced or anything I should be looking for. There is a dealer that sells them. Looks like all their inventory is TDI. Sorry new to these vehicles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You want to do some serious reading about those, great cars, like most have issues that if known about can be taken care of or avoided or warranted etc....
Im not big on the newer ones like those but anything pre 2016 is going to be your best shot at pre emissions era mandate stuff.
IMO for the money they are nice. Make sure you have them pre inspected by a TDI mechanic on our list BEFORE YOU BUY. If you know these cars then thats not a big deal but since you are new, and are looking to spend about $15,000 on a car (with tax and what not to get it on the road) spend the few hundred bucks on a TDI mechanic to do your pre purchase inspection.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
incorrect. IMO the 2015 is the best newest TDI you can get. After that ... different ball game with DEF
Unless you have the $, the newest car is always going to be safer...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Im not big on the newer ones like those but anything pre 2016 is going to be your best shot at pre emissions era mandate stuff.
English is not my native tongue, so perhaps it's my English that's the problem.....

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
You want to do some serious reading about those, great cars, like most have issues that if known about can be taken care of or avoided or warranted etc....
IMO for the money they are nice. Make sure you have them pre inspected by a TDI mechanic on our list BEFORE YOU BUY. If you know these cars then thats not a big deal but since you are new, and are looking to spend about $15,000 on a car (with tax and what not to get it on the road) spend the few hundred bucks on a TDI mechanic to do your pre purchase inspection.
I own a 2013 JSW TDI, which I purchased from a VW dealership in 2019 after the car had been reprogrammed as a result of what is colloquially called "Dieselgate." Model years 2009-2015 were affected by the recall and were required to be reprogrammed or considered unroadworthy.
When you say: "anything pre 2016 is going to be your best shot at pre emissions era mandate stuff," I scratch my head b/c I thought anything pre 2016 is considered to be the prime suspect years of the emissions era (2009-2015) mandate.

Perhaps you'll do me (and others- or at least one other) a favor by clarifying what you mean since I too consider the years prior to the need to reprogram the ECM to be more truthful/accurate wrt emissions data. That would be pre-2006. (2007-08 are not under consideration b/c they weren't imported into the USA.)

I'm of limited knowledge about the Dieselgate fiasco, just hoping to gain some enlightenment and appreciate your help.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i said NOTHING of diesel gate. what i mean by pre emissions mandate era is DPF vs DEF cars. anyone who knows, these cars can be reprogrammed to be NOT stupid again and with modern safty stuff they are by far the best compared with emisisons on the owners side of maintenance.
want the best car, the newest is always the best due to safety stuff.