TDI Porsche conversion

moT1

TDI
A4 Jetta, 2000, blue, A6 Jetta, Red
I don't check this site very often, but this thread caught my eye. I investigated this very swap for several years before deciding to go another way. While I'm sure it can be done, it will not be easy with a 4 cylinder engine due to the bell housing issues. Listen to Pat from Saskatchewan (above), he was giving me good advice years ago, so he has been researching this stuff for a long time.

It all depends on what one want to do, but you might find (like I did) that it was easier to swap a VW diesel into an aircooled Porsche. I know the 924's (and even 944's) can be had for real short money, but so can 914's and even 911/912's. With the aircooled cars all you need is a Kennedy adapter kit and any of the 4 bangers (TDI or IDI) will bolt right up. What you might look for is one of those cars that has already been converted to a V8 or V6 engine. Sometimes those projects go badly and wind up being sold cheap, and as a plus some of the cooling issue work may be already done for you.

For me, I had an old 356 in my barn so it got the nod. As a plus, it can drive old time Porsche fundimentalists right around the bend just to mention it!

Here's a couple of pictures --

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
:eek: That must be tons-o-fun to have as a play toy!

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I love it moT1!!! I bet the "purists" had a fit when they say that V-dub engine in there!! What kind of fuel mileage are you getting? I want to put a TDI in 911....when I find one missing an engine and cheap enough!

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Wow. Nice little 356! Some completely out of the ordinary. I like the outlaw treatment too. Thanks for sharing.

moT1

TDI
vdubdezl said:
I love it moT1!!! I bet the "purists" had a fit when they say that V-dub engine in there!! What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
I got between 45 and 50 mpg highway last year, but this winter's project is to fit a custom type 1 VW box from Rancho. With these gears I'll get 70 mph at only about 2300 rpm, not 3600 as before, much more like it! I would like to see 60 mpg this year, time will tell --

It's quick too, when the VNT gets on boil it pins you back in the seat pretty well :D

I want to put a TDI in 911....when I find one missing an engine and cheap enough!
Good on ya! Go for it, that's a swap that needs doing --

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
what kind of transmission is in the 356 now?? how much is the rancho vw type 1 transmission??

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
914 would be awesome.... but...

What happend to the OP? He hasn't posted since January. I own a broken old 924 I could take apart and take pictures if it would help....

kafer65

Veteran Member
TDI
Early '06 Jetta 5M
Looks like you can get a real nice one at Rancho trans for 1k or less today. Mine was more but the quaife diff added a lot of the cost. This was maybe 12 years ago. Its butter smooth and handles the 200hp no problem with a Moore mount and respectful launches:cool:

moT1

TDI
vdubdezl said:
what kind of transmission is in the 356 now?? how much is the rancho vw type 1 transmission??
It's a Rancho "Pro Street", it's got the welded gears and hockey stick, and the 4 spider diff. Those tranys start at about $650, but as you add goodies, they get more spendy.

For my application, we went with "standard/no extra charge" first and second ratios, 3.78/2.06. Third and forth were custom, 1.21/0.7 - and cost extra. We also ordered a very tall ring and pinion of 3.44/1, and that also added to the cost. As well, I had no VW box to trade in, so I had to pay the core charge. All together, and with coast to coast shipping, it cost a little under $1500. That seems like quite a lot to me, but I could not have had the original Porsche box rebuilt for that, and there are very few options for gearing with that.

I'm just putting the engine back in now, hope to have it back on the road next month --

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Is this a 4 or 5 speed overdrive??

SeththeRuthless

TDI
A4 Jetta
That thing is awesome! I like the early-style water-cooled VW expansion tank.

Do you have the timing belt cover omitted for space reasons? I'd be worried about a loose bit of insulation getting caught and jumping the timing.

moT1

TDI
I worried about that too, or a pebble getting in there. When the engine goes back in it's going to have a timing belt cover.

Lasseliten

TDI
A6 -96
It has already been made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_j-c8piGn4

One guy in sweden has made this, but with a 5 cyl 140 hp from a volvo.
He converted the injectionpump into mechanical delivery.

Here is the original thread in swedish. I havent checked how google translates it, but it should give some clues at least. Too bad that this project seems to be asleep for about two years now. I have no idea what has happend to it.

http://www.4x4sweden.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6801

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Just thought I would bring this part of the thread back to life to congratulate Tom on appearing on Canadian television (Daily Planet, May 28, Discovery Channel) at Watkins Glenn. However, I DO suggest you let the hosts know next time that diesels do not have aspirated charge and that we usually refer to the power stroke as the piston going "down" even though it may well be sideways or even upwards (on an inverted engine or the bottom side of a Zoche radial diesel).
moT1 said:
I don't check this site very often, but this thread caught my eye. I investigated this very swap for several years before deciding to go another way. While I'm sure it can be done, it will not be easy with a 4 cylinder engine due to the bell housing issues. Listen to Pat from Saskatchewan (above), he was giving me good advice years ago, so he has been researching this stuff for a long time.

It all depends on what one want to do, but you might find (like I did) that it was easier to swap a VW diesel into an aircooled Porsche. I know the 924's (and even 944's) can be had for real short money, but so can 914's and even 911/912's. With the aircooled cars all you need is a Kennedy adapter kit and any of the 4 bangers (TDI or IDI) will bolt right up. What you might look for is one of those cars that has already been converted to a V8 or V6 engine. Sometimes those projects go badly and wind up being sold cheap, and as a plus some of the cooling issue work may be already done for you.

For me, I had an old 356 in my barn so it got the nod. As a plus, it can drive old time Porsche fundimentalists right around the bend just to mention it!

Here's a couple of pictures --

moT1

TDI
Pat,

I told you I don't check this site often, like every 6 months!

Sorry for dredging up this old post, but I'm glad you saw us on Canadian Discovery. Those guys were lots of fun (of course - they're Canadians!) to hang out with, but I wish they had mentioned our results from the mileage competition at the Green GP there at the Glen. We did the 80 mile loop around Seneca Lake on 1.08 US Gals of 50% bio-diesel, that's about 73 miles/gal -- Hoo-Wee! We'd like to do it again next year with skinnier tires and maybe 4 wheel skirts, 80 mpg is within reach!

Just thought I would bring this part of the thread back to life to congratulate Tom on appearing on Canadian television (Daily Planet, May 28, Discovery Channel) at Watkins Glenn. However, I DO suggest you let the hosts know next time that diesels do not have aspirated charge and that we usually refer to the power stroke as the piston going "down" even though it may well be sideways or even upwards (on an inverted engine or the bottom side of a Zoche radial diesel).