TDI Phase 2

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Going to Valenti VW in Mystic CT tomorrow to drop my car off to get Phase 2 done. Since it is under 37,000 miles they are only doing the O2 sensor and some other minor stuff and I believe a reflash. I will post after I get the car back and report on mileage and power. We are headed to NH for the weekend, so it will be a good test.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, got my car back, zero drama with the Part A work.

HOWEVER, I always take a picture of my dash cluster noting the mileage and readings on the dash when I dropped it off. When I picked my car up, I compared that to current conditions. I do this because once I dropped a Mustang off at the dealer to have some work done and when I picked it up it had more than 150 additional miles on her. With no proof, there was nothing I could do as the service ticket didn't have the mileage listed. Live and learn. Now I just take pictures.

Anyway, this may be nothing, but when I picked up my car after Part A was done, there were LESS miles on my car than when I dropped it off. I was only 1 mile, but all parameters had been reset and the miles were off. Is this normal? I didn't think that rolling back or changing miles on a modern car was still possible. I am old school, so maybe this is nothing.

On a performance note, I really didn't note any loss of power, odd quirks, etc. I had to drive up to NH and Northern Maine this weekend. I put several hundred miles on the car and averaged around 45 mpg. This was with the AC going full blast, up and down the hills of NH and Maine and at around 75 (or better) during a lot of the highway time. All and all I have to say I can't really see any effects on my car, except that I may have seen a slight bump UP in mileage. My normal weekly commute should verify this.

Oh, I hand calculate the MPG, but noticed now that the computer in the car is virtually dead on (surprising) when showing MPG.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Upload it to tdiclub.

And if anyone is curious, here's a engine scan after I got the car back...

Saturday,21,July,2018,19:01:32:13856
VCDS Version Release 18.2.0 Running on Windows XP x86(VirtualBox)

2 Faults Found:

17158 - Databus
U1123 00 [032] - Received Error Message
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

7150 - Implausible Data Received from Steering Angle Sensor Module (G85)
U0428 00 [032] - -
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure how to upload pictures to the site. All these years and I never needed to.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Pics on this site is another login that's separate then the forums, once logged in you just gotta click away to upload.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/

I'm guessing the dealer did the "ol ferris bulers day off" on your ride. The dealer can code the cluster to read what ever they want (think replacing a faulty cluster) but I think they need permission from the mother ship.

This_Fuggin_Guy

TDI
2015 GSW
OK, got my car back, zero drama with the Part A work.

HOWEVER, I always take a picture of my dash cluster noting the mileage and readings on the dash when I dropped it off. When I picked my car up, I compared that to current conditions. I do this because once I dropped a Mustang off at the dealer to have some work done and when I picked it up it had more than 150 additional miles on her. With no proof, there was nothing I could do as the service ticket didn't have the mileage listed. Live and learn. Now I just take pictures.

Anyway, this may be nothing, but when I picked up my car after Part A was done, there were LESS miles on my car than when I dropped it off. I was only 1 mile, but all parameters had been reset and the miles were off. Is this normal? I didn't think that rolling back or changing miles on a modern car was still possible. I am old school, so maybe this is nothing.

On a performance note, I really didn't note any loss of power, odd quirks, etc. I had to drive up to NH and Northern Maine this weekend. I put several hundred miles on the car and averaged around 45 mpg. This was with the AC going full blast, up and down the hills of NH and Maine and at around 75 (or better) during a lot of the highway time. All and all I have to say I can't really see any effects on my car, except that I may have seen a slight bump UP in mileage. My normal weekly commute should verify this.

Oh, I hand calculate the MPG, but noticed now that the computer in the car is virtually dead on (surprising) when showing MPG.

I also take photos prior to dropping off my cars and I had the same issue when I picked up mine, also just 1 mile off. I immediately went in to talk to the manager and showed him the photos. He had me email them to him and said he would look into it. I haven't heard back from him. He did mention that the odometer reading is done by the computer. The computer reads it in KM and then has to be converted to miles. I kept a close eye on the odometer for the next 100+ miles and it seemed to be good.

Obviously I was concerned about why the mileage was off, but I also expressed to him that I don't want this to turn into a mileage/warranty issue down the road. I don't want them to try and pull that I messed with the odometer and void any warranty. So now with the email I have a paper trail of the issue if it ever does become a bigger problem.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
I got mine back on Saturday. I did notice the fuel economy improved while I was driving on the highway. As for city driving, I didn't notice too much of a difference. Not too sure if it's psychological or not.

I didn't notice any odometer changes other than the additional 1km. I am sure it was done just to test drive it around the block. Nothing else seemed to be altered on the inside. I only had to do part 2A as I believe I am under the x km for 2B.

They gave me a 2017 Tiguan as a loaner for the whole day. Made me appreciate the TDI even more haha. No free oil change or anything like that.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I didn't get an oil change either and the S Jetta they stuck me in (with less than a 1/4 tank of gas) was not nearly as nice as my SEL, no where near it. Ok, the loaner sucked.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Dropped mine off today for phase 2.
When scheduled two weeks ago they said I’d take less than a day, I only have about 20k miles on it.
Today they decided it’ll take a couple days, they want to do the full phase 2 update, or so they say.

Not at all excited about now taking a second vacation day to go back and fetch my car... they did provide a new Jetta loaner, it’s fine except for the comparatively poor mileage.

Last edited:

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Current dealer (Crosby VW) is trying to talk me into waiting with talk of it being 9 hour job, they are booked to end of August, etc. Probably trying to clear their backlog.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
From what I was told, 2A is 2-3 hours and 2B is 8 hours. Every dealership I feel has their own process of getting the recalls done. My service advisor said they are trying to do 2 per day.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I had my Phase 2 fix performed a couple months back, before I was in Germany and vacation for 3 weeks. It might be my imagination, but the engine feels a little softer at 2K rpm and stronger at 3K rpm. What's not my imagination are 2 issues that the dealer had to fix afterward:

1) Immediately after, I was driving on a straight stretch of road and noticed the steering wheel angle was a bit off... like the alignment was wonky. Took it back to them and sure enough, they had to do an alignment on the front... just like any time I have ever had to drop a subframe in a car...

2) About a week-and-a-half ago (~400 miles into the fix), the CEL came on while driving to work. I stopped and checked the codes. I forgot to save the actual codes, but one was EGR flow too low and one was NOx sensor invalid value. I made my way to the dealer who told me to bring it in the following Monday. Over the weekend I thought I heard a weird growl/rattle, but had a hard time replicating. So last Monday I took it in and checked the codes again before I gave them the car and a third code showed up and said something about DPF low efficiency. Anyway, it turned out that one of the connectors in the exhaust system was loose and letting air seep in under certain conditions and it was throwing off the NOx sensor reading. They didn't say which one was loose, but I would have to assume either upstream of the DPF or upstream of the SCR. Anyway, they tightened it up, cleared the code, and so far so good.

So for anyone going in for Stage 2 who hasn't yet, you might want to ask them if they checked the alignment afterward before you take the car back.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up my car from having Phase 2 done yesterday.
They did install the new DPF as part of the larger version of Phase 2.
However car has a manual and is under 21,000 miles.

Not sure why they didn't do the simple one. Called VW customer care earlier to ask about this and they were no help, had no info. The letter I received a month or two ago seemed pretty clear that low mileage vehicles got a short version of Phase 2 update.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am not sure why you let them do the "full" version when you were told before hand. I would have insisted they do what was supposed to be done. You may have now forfeited your right to get the "full" version later as was supposed to be done.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I tried... I had planned the day to hang out in the town where the dealer is, more than an hour form my house.. I wasn't at all interested in coming back another day to pick it up.
They insisted they had to do the full version.. I did try.

In the end I just wanted phase 2 done, whatever version it had to be.
Now with it done I feel like it's actually my car and I'm very close to never ever having to take it back to the dealer for anything. Just a few more little warranty issues to attend to in the coming weeks.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Who knows Grigg you might still get yet another full phase 2 down the road but I hear you as far as being done with this whole thing

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I pointed out the 40k - 70k wording of bringing the vehicle back for dpf replacement.

Advisor said oh I dunno I haven't head anything about that.

Well, I kept my service logs, mileage noted @ 24k, and after I get near 70k I'll stop in and say hey, this was done at this mileage, and paperwork says to do this now. So do it.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I just had my phase 2 done and I have not noticed any difference. I will have to wait for a couple of tanks to see if the MPG is different. They did replace the catalytic converter because it was damaged during the process.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Manual transmission and the car has 81k on the odometer.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
are we supposed to be notified about phase 2 readiness by VWoA and/or dealer a la Takata recall? i almost totally forgot about this nonsense after finding out my restitution claim was denied.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
After phase 2 on a long highway trip it got a best ever tank at 55.2 mpg, and average of three tanks at 54.4 mpg.
With so many variables that affect mileage hard to compare exactly, but I think safe to say mileage is at least as good as before the fix.

jdstrd

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
After phase 2 on both my GSW's are only getting 39 city now. I was getting 46-49 city consistently. Both cars have less than 15k on them. Im reading people getting better.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
After phase 2 I'm getting mid 40s express way,, high 70s in city.

Such an awesome fix.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
are we supposed to be notified about phase 2 readiness by VWoA and/or dealer a la Takata recall? i almost totally forgot about this nonsense after finding out my restitution claim was denied.
Remember it's a recall, VWoA should have mailed to a notification of the recall (kinda like the takata) and then its up to you to reach out to the dealer and they will schedule you when they have parts (should have them now) and time.