TDI Phase 2

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The dealer has had my Passat for a week now. They "finished" it today but it threw a code when they test drove it. So they ordered new sensors etc. I wonder if it is throwing the same weird code that it threw before Phase 1. They had no idea how to fix that code but then Phase 1 fixed it.......is Phase 2 going to "un-fix" it. Stay tuned......

Jayzus H. Kreist.

Yep, I will continue to wait out the Phase 2 fix. :p

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Jayzus H. Kreist.

Yep, I will continue to wait out the Phase 2 fix. :p
I only found two other people on here with that code so it may only affect the rare few with the "curse code". I will look up my past posts and give you the code number here in a minute. NOTE: The dealer hasn't told me which code was thrown yet so right now I am just jawin'. Last year They said that phase 1 fixed it because it relaxed the software's restrictions on emissions. Now I dunno if phase II tightens those restrictions but it is a reasonable assumption??

Ok here is the code from last year P00BD and P00BD pd. Fuel and air metering and Aux emission controls

Last edited:

This_Fuggin_Guy

TDI
2015 GSW
So what's the mileage/performance like after the Stage 2 fix?
After putting more miles on the car after the Phase 2 fix, I am noticing better mileage than before. I previously stated that that I didn't notice any change in my mileage after the fix but now I am seeing a few more mpg. Nothing drastic but enough to notice.

NOW, I don't know if this is due to the Phase 2 fix or other contributing factors.
1. I did the fix right around when the weather was getting nicer so the "summer blend" might have a factor. But even compared to my summer mileage from last year I get better mileage now.
2. I have only had the car for 14 months so last summer was my only experience with "summer mileage" and the car had low miles at the time. I keep hearing that the mileage gets better after 10k. This year I'm past that 10k mark and it could be just the engine being broken in and reaching its full potential.
3. Could be a combination of all 3.

Either way, I am noticing my mileage going up with the same daily commute; 80 mile commute, 90% highway, cruise control set at 65-67 mph. The car calculates averaging 59-62 mpg, yes I know this is not accurate, whereas last summer I was averaging 52-57 mpg.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Had my fix scheduled for this past Tuesday. VW called me to reschedule. Only have 2 VW certified techs in Iowa and the 2 of them do 1 car a day. Im at 39,100 miles and ive been rescheduled for this coming Tuesday. Told the gal on the phone if they try to reschedule me again I will drive my car threw the showroom floor at highway speeds. She assured me that wouldnt be required.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Told the gal on the phone if they try to reschedule me again I will drive my car threw the showroom floor at highway speeds. She assured me that wouldnt be required.
That will definitely get someone's attention. I was in a building when a car came through the front window.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
They did phase 2 on my car today while they repaired my sunroof.

She told me the warranty on "part affected by the modification" is extended 10y 261 000km .

I ask her what part exactly is covered, she told me that they don't really know until they send a claim to vw.

wilkius

TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Phase 2 complete.

Dealer had my car for only one day. Offered a rental but I live a block away from the dealer.

So far so good on all fronts. Looking forward to seeing if there's any difference in economy. Power feels same.

Had a small drop in economy after phase 1.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
They did phase 2 on my car today while they repaired my sunroof.

She told me the warranty on "part affected by the modification" is extended 10y 261 000km .

I ask her what part exactly is covered, she told me that they don't really know until they send a claim to vw.
Don't really know what is covered!?

It is in black and whit in the letter that I got. I am going to save that letter. Maybe scan it and archive it too.

My letter has 11years or 160,000 MILES (not km), whichever comes first. All of this is listed as covered in the letter:

The complete exhaust system, including filters, cat system, and DEF injection system!
THE ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM, including the pumps (lift and HPFP!), fuel rail, AND injectors, etc
The complete EGR system
The turbo charger (yes, that too).

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen

It is in black and whit in the letter that I got. I am going to save that letter. Maybe scan it and archive it too.

My letter has 11years or 160,000 MILES (not km), whichever comes first. All of this is listed as covered in the letter:

The complete exhaust system, including filters, cat system, and DEF injection system!
THE ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM, including the pumps (lift and HPFP!), fuel rail, AND injectors, etc
The complete EGR system
I don't expect much knowledge from a service salesman, i knew I would have precision on this forum.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Typical. As a manager, I would go over things like this in meetings and expect my sales force to have hard and fast answers for customers. The whole saga has certainly cost the company a great deal in prestige and sales. VW was taking over as world top auto seller when this happened. Arming the sales and service teams with accurate facts and ways to emphasize benefits is always a good way to win customers. Maybe knowing how to find the information quickly would be a fall back position, but I suppose even that is an unreasonable standard! I expect too much. :confused:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

The complete EGR system
Is the extended warranty the same on both sides of the boarder? Since the settlement is different, I would not be surprised to see differences in the warranty.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the extended warranty the same on both sides of the boarder? Since the settlement is different, I would not be surprised to see differences in the warranty.
I would not be surprised. For my 2015 stage 1 fixed new wagon, the warantee was clearly spelled out. I did not remember the turbo being part of it, but it is definitely in the letter. HPFP and turbo warantee to 11 years or 160,000 is excellent.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Almost got the Passat back from the Phase II modification (8 days now) the car was dirty, my scangauge was thrown on the seat, the door key cover was missing, the battery cover under the hood was open AND the battery was completely dead.. OMG

So I am back in the loaner for another day. If I didn't like the service rep......:

The new loaner gave me a low front right tire pressure warning on the way home. that tire was at 30 lbs while the other three at 41 lbs.

The new paperwork they gave me downgrades the sticker MPG. If I ever get the car back I will post my impression of the effect on MPG.

the alltrack golf loaner is nice. If they put a diesel in it I would want one badly.

And yes I know this is the GSW forum but this is the best Phase II thread I've seen and I will be sending my GSW in soon to be done. Cheers

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SEL, '15 GSW S
I am with you on phase 2 had mine done the end of May, my mileage has gone up a consistent 2-4 a gallon. I will be making a trip to Nashville and back to the Chicago area early july, but with the amount I drive to gigs I am averaging in the area of 48-52 and that is hand calculated.
I've not seen so much of an increase in MPG, but have noticed it's been pretty consistently the same as before. Performance (torque, mainly) seems like it *might* be down a tiny bit - or that could just be my fear of decreased performance. But yes, 48-52 is just about the range I've been experiencing (also hand calculated - the dashboard display is wildly optimistic!).

If your state took money from VW then you absolutely have an option. Unless you live in one of the few states that refused a payout from VW, then you can choose to do nothing and keep driving your unfixed car. They CAN NOT stop you from registering your car or penalize you in any way for not doing the fix. This is all laid out in the settlement documents.
And here I thought I had read the settlement docs pretty closely. Apparently not. Thanks.

So what's the mileage/performance like after the Stage 2 fix?
See above - really not all that different for me. Thankfully. Whew! :p

FWIW - I've put about three fill-ups through since PH 2 was completed. And one 1K mile round-trip from here in Central VA to Central NY and back. But even around town seems to still be pretty good (even better than after PH 1 was done).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I couldn't wait to get out of my "loaner," which was Hertz giving me a "choice" between a yaris or versa.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I couldn't wait to get out of my "loaner," which was Hertz giving me a "choice" between a yaris or versa.
A used Golf or Jetta off the lot was not a better proposition from the dealer's perspective because VW is probably taking a volume discount contract from a big rental company for loaner. Imagine that.

Dodge gave me a new Cherokee when I went in for airbag replacement on my Ram 2500.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
All the dealers around me that I've asked have always used rental companies for their loaners. This has been going on for many years and isn't specific to dieselgate so I wasn't expecting anything different this time around :(

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Our dealer is a big conglomerate with VW, Toyota, Subaru, Dodge, Jeep, etc., etc. stores all over the Baltimore area, and they have an on site Enterprise agent. My last loaner was a Tiguan demo unit.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Our dealer is a big conglomerate with VW, Toyota, Subaru, Dodge, Jeep, etc., etc. stores all over the Baltimore area, and they have an on site Enterprise agent. My last loaner was a Tiguan demo unit.
I have no bone in this 2015 stuff as I have a Gen 2 2014. When I took it in for the fix they(EVS Menomonee Falls WI) gave me a 2017 GSW Altrak as a loaner for the day they took to install my fix. BTW I'm happy with it and the cash was just one more bonus after the 2 $500 cards and the Bosch money.. I bought the car new for cash and it's like now I only paid $18k for the car when new. The car has 44k on it now. No issues with the fix except warm up time. I also got an extended warranty on just about anything except the transmission. The buyback looked very good but I still have a very nice car without all this 2015 banter about how 2015 is a great car but a unicorn and everybody trying to devise a long-term warranty plan to their benefit.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Thought this was worth a share. I’m an original owner that the dealership said I did not get the oil change as part of the phase 2 with both A and B kits. Which I’m fine with me as I do my own and don’t trust them putting in the right 507 spec. This email came yesterday.

Dear Nutty 5.0,
Our records indicate that you recently had Phase 2 of the Approved Emissions Modification completed on your vehicle. The purpose of this communication is to advise that, as a result, you are also eligible to receive a complimentary oil change with filter. To redeem this benefit, please contact your preferred Volkswagen dealership and schedule the service and reference the complimentary maintenance offer for the AEM.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Dear Nutty 5.0,
Our records indicate that you recently had Phase 2 of the Approved Emissions Modification completed on your vehicle. The purpose of this communication is to advise that, as a result, you are also eligible to receive a complimentary oil change with filter. To redeem this benefit, please contact your preferred Volkswagen dealership and schedule the service and reference the complimentary maintenance offer for the AEM.
My dealer told me that I would get an offer for a free oil change from VW also. I think it works better this way because it is not time for my oil change now so I can go get it changed when I am ready. There is supposed to be a free tank of fuel also when you go back for Phase II-B after 70,000 miles for manual trans or 40,000 for DSG.

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
I had both the Phase 1 and Phase 2 fix done on the same visit. They had it for 48 hours.

When I picked it up I received two stainless steel VW coffee mugs and a car wash. No mention of a free oil change.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
All the dealers around me that I've asked have always used rental companies for their loaners. This has been going on for many years and isn't specific to dieselgate so I wasn't expecting anything different this time around :(
My dealer just stopped having loaners and is using Hertz, which is just up the street from them. When I set up the dieselgate fix appointment, the SA told me that they had two loaners totaled the previous week.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Taking my wagen in tomorrow for phase 2. The dealer didn't give any details about the loaner. I requested a Tig from them so we can test drive it for a possible future purchase.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My dealer just stopped having loaners and is using Hertz, which is just up the street from them. When I set up the dieselgate fix appointment, the SA told me that they had two loaners totaled the previous week.

If it's a rental, go mental!

This_Fuggin_Guy

TDI
2015 GSW
Taking my wagen in tomorrow for phase 2. The dealer didn't give any details about the loaner. I requested a Tig from them so we can test drive it for a possible future purchase.
They gave me a 2018 Tig for my loaner, it was really nice. My girlfriend liked it so much she's considering one in the next year or so.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Was it FWD or 4Mo?

It'll be interesting to see what/if any tuners can add a bit of pep to the more "fuel effiecnt" EA888 2.0 Gen3B, what they got in torque they gave up in HP.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Mirage g4 cvt.

So gross.

Eco light shuts off trying to hold 70mph on flat ground!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk