TDI Phase 2

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Like I said there will probably be a cutoff date for the fix. Maybe a year or two down the road. The warranty goes way out there. There was also some different wording in the documents that said the low mileage cars only get a DOC later not a whole new exhaust (dpf etc). If you hold out for the phase 2 fix until 149k miles I almost bet you will be SOL.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Like I said there will probably be a cutoff date for the fix. Maybe a year or two down the road. The warranty goes way out there. There was also some different wording in the documents that said the low mileage cars only get a DOC later not a whole new exhaust (dpf etc). If you hold out for the phase 2 fix until 149k miles I almost bet you will be SOL.
Yeah, that's all speculation at this point.

I was going off of what is actually now out there: the letter on the previous page. It says I can get Phase 2 software and 2nd NOx up until 40k in my dsg and then come back after 70k for the full hardware package. No cutoff is specified at this time, unless there is more to the letter that hasn't been posted. I haven't received my letter yet, so I'm only going off of what has been posted here.

I personally put 30k miles on my car a year, so as long as they have the parts in stock four years from now, I should be good.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
What I'm most interested to know is has any of us, you, used Flashzilla to swap your ECU tune back to stock and THEN got phase 2 done. That's the question I wonder about mostly.

Until there is a definitive date, I plan on waiting as long as I can to go in. If we can get full emissions kit (down stream from the turbo) close to the end of the warranty period, it would be great. The big ticket "consumable" parts are those that they are replacing. The decision, often times, to "relocate" parts on the earlier MK5/6 cars was made at the discovery of the cracked DPF and associated costs to replace, knowing that we'd have to do it again if keeping the car. So the longer, the better, especially with as efficient as our MK7's are with the equipment in place.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So the longer, the better, especially with as efficient as our MK7's are with the equipment in place.
Bingo. I was thinking delete at one point, but my car just keeps getting better and better mileage as it breaks in, so no need to give up my whopper warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I agree that it is advantageous to wait as long as possible for phase 2 to get new parts installed just before the warranty runs out. It just doesn't seem logical that they would leave the emissions repair order open indefinitely like that.

If you have a claim counsel says you have till Dec. 30 2018 to get everything completed:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...eadline-VW-Audi-2.0-Liter-Owners-Lessees-Fast

"December 30, 2018 – Deadline to Complete Buyback, Early Lease Termination, or Approved Emissions Modification: Any remedy selected by a class member must be completed by December 30, 2018. If class members wait until the last days of the Settlement Program to schedule their closing appointment, lack the required paperwork, or are unable to find an available appointment due to delay in scheduling their closing appointment, they may not be eligible to receive benefits from the settlement."

If you bought a stop sale car or a fixed buyback the time may be different.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I bought mine 1st owner with phase1 applied. 7 miles on the clock.

Ride out any confirmed cut off installation dates or 70k for phase 2, whichever headache comes first.

Both of those scenarios comes with a warranty, no questions hands down.

In the meantime, pack $/month for play money, once warranty is up, or when I feel comfortable , delete.

The deleted expendable parts are what the warranty was covering which would then be irrelevant.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

JerseyMike

TDI
2013 Mk6 Golf TDI, 2013-2017
There was one, count em, one year of production of the EA288 in the US. The ALH was five years.

We'll see.

I'm going to push this off as long as possible in hope of getting a new DPF at 150k. I just don't want to miss a final date that VW quietly puts out there for when NOS owners must get their DPF by. Communication on VW's part will be key.
True but I think the engine in other parts of the world is also EA288 and I'd imagine the majority of the parts are common.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
51 weeks, barely 5,500 miles.
Sounds like We are getting the bare minimum in the long run.
Coming from a guy that we had a 16 very very close to delivery , we are very fortunate for our 15’ GSW S 6 MT.
So before you low mileage experts chime in. We drive semi junk winter beaters up here in the Northeast.
When the glory days of retirement kick in , we be burning some diesel.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
51 weeks, barely 5,500 miles.
Sounds like We are getting the bare minimum in the long run.
Coming from a guy that we had a 16 very very close to delivery , we are very fortunate for our 15’ GSW S 6 MT.
So before you low mileage experts chime in. We drive semi junk winter beaters up here in the Northeast.
When the glory days of retirement kick in , we be burning some diesel.
Oh yes.

Winter vehicle if no kids... Old 95 Ford aspire with a Mazda 1.3. Unibody rusted so bad I don't know how it's held together.

Doors still close and latch like it's brand new... Unbelievable....

42mpg though...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
So now the part that interests me is, when will the Phase 2 become available in Canada?

When I had Phase 1 done I was not offered a FREE oil change. Is that only in the USA?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Not sure if it was related to phase 1, but my 10k change was free. No more.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
So now the part that interests me is, when will the Phase 2 become available in Canada?

When I had Phase 1 done I was not offered a FREE oil change. Is that only in the USA?
Free oil change is/was only with phase 2...
First 10k oil change was free anyway in the USA...but we lost the free service after that....but the $500 on the dealership card pre phase one for the people that bought new pre-scandal cars basically bought the service cost to 40k if you pre-paid....

TheresJohnnie

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
Stop-Sale TDI owner here.
I talked with a claims representative today; it sounds like the December 30th deadline is referring to benefits only (i.e. afterwards there will be no more cash settlements, but the Phase 2 recall will still be available). The representative I talked to believed there would never be a deadline for Phase 2 (precisely because it is a recall), but that at some point not having completed Phase 2 may become an emissions issue when trying to renew your registration.
In Maryland diesel cars are exempt from emission checks, so that’s no issue here. I’m more curious about how repair work will/won’t impact a car that hasn’t had Phase 2 completed? From reading the documents, it sounds like if you bring it in for repairs, they might just end up installing Phase 2 anyways.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I finally got my letter today. There is no cutoff date for Phase 2 included in the letter and they continue to state (top of pg 5 of 6) that the Extended Emissions Warranty will be the greater of 11 years/162k mi from in-service date or 5 yrs/60k mi from completion of Phase 2.

So hypothetically, without a cutoff date, you could drive your car 10 years and 364 days and 161,999 miles, go in for Phase 2, and then enjoy the additional 5 yrs/60k for a total warranty on your emissions system, fuel system, EGR system, turbo, and entire engine for a grand total of 16 years and 222,000 miles.

Not too shabby.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It seems that is so. But one thing we have learned from the CA settlement is that things can change. The warranty is one of the main reasons I bought my stop sale car. Who knew the warranty could be even better!

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
I had phase 2 done on my 2015 GSW last Monday April 30. I dropped the car off at 7 AM and was given a loaner for the day. Turned out they didn't finish until mid afternoon the next day. I needed to add some G13 after the drive home but so far so good. The remaining settlement $$ were in the bank mid week.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I had phase 2 done on my 2015 GSW last Monday April 30. I dropped the car off at 7 AM and was given a loaner for the day. Turned out they didn't finish until mid afternoon the next day. I needed to add some G13 after the drive home but so far so good. The remaining settlement $$ were in the bank mid week.
Any noticable differences in the car? Good or bad?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I think I'm going to cancel my ph2 appt and stretch this warranty to the limit.

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
No difference yet but I didn't know about or get offered a free oil change that some in this thread have talked about. :confused:
Perhaps I spoke too soon about the success of my Phase 2 work. On my return from the dealer after the "upgrade" the coolant level warning light came on. The temperature gauge never budged and remained at 200. I stopped and checked the recover bottle which was a little low. No sign or smell of coolant. So I called the service department and they said oh there was some air in the system that has worked it's way out. Bring it back and we'll top it off. Well I did't want to drive 60 miles just to get a bit of coolant so I order some G-13 from IDParts and left the car sit. Friday I filled it up, took about a quart and drove the car around. Problem solved or so I thought. On Saturday my wife took the car out of town for the weekend. Today when driving home she mentioned the warning indicator was on again. So I told her to watch the temperature guage very closely and stop if it budges above 200. It never did but now I smell coolant under the hood. Time to rip someone a new one tomorrow.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
In my experience with a dealership, since you were last under the hood, it's not their fault.

Odd they didn't offer any means to tow or pay you and to take the risk of damaging something unnecessarily, but you're more the welcomed to put more miles on a questionable scenario....

But they never told you not to top it off!

Mother ****ers

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Mine has drank 3 whole bottle tanks of coolant at weird times. Its fine one day thwn it gets really cold and i blast the heat and it drinks a bottle. Refill the tank. Next cold snap it drinks the tank again. Pattern here makes me believe the coolant system does trap air very well in the MK7. Probably the issue here as well panda.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I finally got my letter today. There is no cutoff date for Phase 2 included in the letter and they continue to state (top of pg 5 of 6) that the Extended Emissions Warranty will be the greater of 11 years/162k mi from in-service date or 5 yrs/60k mi from completion of Phase 2.

So hypothetically, without a cutoff date, you could drive your car 10 years and 364 days and 161,999 miles, go in for Phase 2, and then enjoy the additional 5 yrs/60k for a total warranty on your emissions system, fuel system, EGR system, turbo, and entire engine for a grand total of 16 years and 222,000 miles.

Not too shabby.

VW has proven in their literature the stock emissions system won't last until 161K. At the time it fails unless you repair it on your dime, VW will want to place phase 2 fix on the ride (they prob won't install anything but phase 2). But I like where your mind is at.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
So, if you drive on a cracked dpf that takes out egr or whatever else, and you drive in for ph2, is everything beyond ph2 components in a "perfect" world out of your own pocket?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Cracked dpf would be covered by warranty and they would probably do phase 2 to cover it. You aren't going to be able to drive forever on a cracked dpf.

Miata

TDI
Golf

Not too shabby.
That's also how i interpret it lol

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So, if you drive on a cracked dpf that takes out egr or whatever else, and you drive in for ph2, is everything beyond ph2 components in a "perfect" world out of your own pocket?

Lots of high mileage 2009's with single piece DPF DOC did just that for the Gen 1 fix. They were getting new DPF anyways.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Not sure about the phase 2 portion, but the phase 1 portion it was required that all emissions components were functioning as designed. If you had a cracked DPF, you had to pay for replacement before they could complete phase 1.