TDI mechanic between Chicago and Milwaukee?

Studs

TDI
2003 Golf 4D/ GL
Try Jason at Mobile One ( jason@mobileoneinc.com )in Glenview. He works on all VW's and is on the TDI guru list. I have used him a lot over the years and always satisfied with his work.

demonwaffle

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0 TDI
H
He’s active. He replaced my timing belt this past Tuesday. Big cost savings compared to the dealer. I recommend him.
Hi Schwult,

would you mind letting me know how much they charged for the timing belt (and water pump if you had that done).
Just got quoted 2100$ by the dealer… :oops:

TIA

swschult

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I got the timing belt and water pump replaced, as well as everything else required for a 120,000 service, for a little
over $1300. If it had been only a timing belt and water pump, I think it would have been about $800. I live almost an hour away from Jason, and since my wife is not keen on driving except for short trips, I was “stranded” and had to wait in his shop. He doesn’t have a waiting room, so while he worked I sat in a folding chair about 6’ away from the front of my car. He explained things very well, and by being there, I KNOW what he did. I would recommend him highly.
(FWIW, Zimbrick VW of Madison [on Stoughton Road, not the one in Middleton] would have charged $1600 for a timing belt and water pump replacement. $2100 seems out of line, IMO.)

Last edited:

demonwaffle

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0 TDI
I got the timing belt and water pump replaced, as well as everything else required for a 120,000 service, for a little
over $1300. If it had been only a timing belt and water pump, I think it would have been about $800. I live almost an hour away from Jason, and since my wife is not keen on driving except for short trips, I was “stranded” and had to wait in his shop. He doesn’t have a waiting room, so while he worked I sat in a folding chair about 6’ away from the front of my car. He explained things very well, and by being there, I KNOW what he did. I would recommend him highly.
(FWIW, Zimbrick VW of Madison [on Stoughton Road, not the one in Middleton] would have charged $1600 for a timing belt and water pump replacement. $2100 seems out of line, IMO.)
Thanks for the update. I actually asked for my sister and she went with the $2100 option without even calling any other shops. I think I’ll not tell her about your experiences, spilt milk and all that, but hopefully this helps someone down the road!