TDI Jetta Sportwagon questions

Tom Rose

TDI
none at this time Interested in TDI Jetta sportwagon
Hello everyone, I'm a 1st timer here so please don't beat me up too bad:p:p:p
I drive Uber & the time has come for a new (newer) vehicle. I'd like to get a 2010-2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI (auto or manual). Really like the way they look, all the room & the MPG's cost saving will cover the monthly note.
That being said, I ask all you experts if this would be a good investment for this application ? I can easly drive 800-1000 miles /week 70/30 city streets to highways. I've done some research on the carbon build up probem in the EGR valve & intake manifold. How often would I have to de-carbon. I've watched some videos, doesn't look to be above my skill levels. What other problems could / should I expect ( i.e.) replace struts ( looks involved) timing belt, etc
I'm looking at prices of $7k - $8500. Fair price ?
Or, should I just settle for a boring Toyota camry ?
Thanks in advance

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, get a '02-'06 J/G. Just so you blow the spiders out daily. Avoid idling and keep it running A-1. Chip tunes are nice, maybe they have something for the heavy city miles. Be prepared to travel to find the one you want. A Passat would be more comy for the passengers, but I don't know those very well. New Beetle is the best, but your passenger would be in the front seat. They're roomy in the front and easier to get in and out.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’m. Not aware of a carbon buildup problem with the newer cars. The 2010 onwards TDI is probably a good deal especially if you put on a lot of miles AND you get a fixed one with the full fix warranty. Fuel and emissions system for the greater of 10 years from original in service date or 4 years from date of emissions fix. Just be prepared for the car to be out of service for a few days if something goes wrong. The TDI thrives on steady use and being pushed hard. Just don’t scrimp on regular maintenance and fix anything that goes wrong quickly.

Issues with these cars are:

Diesel Particulate Filter failure. Seems to happen on random cars after the fix at a much higher rate than it should. Possibly this is a result of a boost leak but who knows. Should be 100% covered under warranty, but I think it takes the car out of service until fixed. If you limp around with the CEL you may void the warranty

High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure. Shuts the car down completely and immediately. 100% covered and possibly only a serious concern with 2010 or 2011 models. I think the failure rate in the US was around 5% of cars. Rest of world much less than 0.5%, something to do with fuel lubricity.

Intake manifold flaps set a CEL. As far as I can tell this doesn’t take the car out but sets off the CEL. Again should be 100% covered. Almost guaranteed to happen after a hundred thousand or so. There is an aftermarket fix which is reasonable cost, I think Dieselgeek provides it.

O2 sensor or temp sensor failure. A few of them out there, again 100% covered under warranty. Might have to get it fixed promptly to avoid DPF failure.

I think the timing belt interval is 120,000 miles. Better check my memory though. Factor it in. Suspension on these cars holds up better than older VWs, probably get 100,000 before it starts making noise. If you can live with the noise... who knows how long.

Sunroof creaks and groans, especially if not lubicated regularly.

Fuel issues with cars that sat for a while after buyback before being resold. All sorts of issues. Should be covered under warranty but maybe an argument could result? Best check out a buyback car pretty carefully.

Maybe I missed some issues but that’s what I can think of.

Tom Rose

TDI
thanks for the great info !!!! Test drove a 2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI yesterday. 72.5k miles. 6sp auto, but not twin clutch. Appears very clean, seemed to run well, but I have no base line ( 1st one I've ever driven) LIKE THE TORQUE !!!!!! Didn't see any stains on the head liner ( panoramic roof). Brake pedal took a little more effort than I'm use to ? Brakes stopped but were'nt overly powerful. Again, no base line to campare. The car appears to be very well detailed, couldn't see any telltale leaks, stains in eng compartment. The screws for fuel filter cap are showing some rust, doesn't appear that they've seen a socket in some time ( hmmm) Are replacement screws available over the counter or dealer only ? Available in SS ? They're asking $8250, seems like a fair price ? Everything seems to work, power windows, A/C etc. Dealer has a 5 star rating with many great reviews. When I go back ( checking out others in the area) will ask if they can put it on a lift & I look underneath. So far, I'M LIKING IT !!!! Thanks guys !!!!!

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Keep looking if your not in a hurry, got my 2014 DSG for $9k with less than 15k on the odometer but it took me 2 months of scouring every car site out there

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I could be wrong , but I believe all 09 and later TDi automatics have DSG dual clutch transmissions.

Assuming that we are only talking about VWs sold in North America - you are not wrong. All North American CR (2009+) TDIs have either a 6 speed manual or a 6 speed DSG (dual clutch) transmission.

Have Fun!

Don

Tom Rose

TDI
thanks for the info !!! This is why I ask the experts. I was lead to believe there were 2 6 speed auto's. Regular & dual clutch. How do they hold up ? Understand, I don't beat on/ abuse my cars / bikes

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
thanks for the info !!! This is why I ask the experts. I was lead to believe there were 2 6 speed auto's. Regular & dual clutch. How do they hold up ? Understand, I don't beat on/ abuse my cars / bikes
The Dual Clutch Transmission hold up as well as (some argue better than) the manual cars AS LONG AS you keep up with regular fluid changes every 40k miles. These fluid changes can be pricey if you dont do it yourself my VW dealer charges about $350 to do it, if you can do it yourself you are looking at about $120 to buy fluid and filter give or take. Both manual and DCT transmissions use a dual mass flywheel that some have had issues with but those issues aren't terribly common.

Tom Rose

TDI
THANKS GUYS !!!!!! I'm in the market for one. Appreciate all the help