tdi jetta potential buyer

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
hello everybody my name is tyler i dont own a v yet but im looking at a stock 2012 vw jetta tdi manual with 112,000k on it for 8,500? know nothing about diesels but i think this is my dream daily and wanna learn everything and i really want this car.

is this a good price?
are these high miles?
will this be reliable and last many more miles?
and is it easy to makem go fast gti springs and struts?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
US or Canadian money?
Miles or kilometers?
Area of the country you're in?
Has any professional evaluated the car's condition?
Shocks and struts can only make a car handle differently. I don't see how they could make a car go faster.
9 year old car. 112k miles, 8500 in US dollars, from a dealer, no body or rust issues, is a starting point.
You need to research what warranty is left from dieselgate. If someone that knows tdis hasn't looked at it yet they need to before the negotiations. BTW any receipt for a timing belt job? I think they're on a 120k mile interval and time is a factor. 9 year old timing belt is past due. Unless you have the cash to buy the car outright I wouldn't. These cars need maintenance and unless you're doing it yourself very pricey.

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
US or Canadian money?
Miles or kilometers?
Area of the country you're in?
Has any professional evaluated the car's condition?
Shocks and struts can only make a car handle differently. I don't see how they could make a car go faster.
9 year old car. 112k miles, 8500 in US dollars, from a dealer, no body or rust issues, is a starting point.
You need to research what warranty is left from dieselgate. If someone that knows tdis hasn't looked at it yet they need to before the negotiations. BTW any receipt for a timing belt job? I think they're on a 120k mile interval and time is a factor. 9 year old timing belt is past due. Unless you have the cash to buy the car outright I wouldn't. These cars need maintenance and unless you're doing it yourself very pricey.
It’s miles and US dollars yes from a private seller Craigslist I have a tdi person and I’ll ask about the timing belt could you elaborate dieselgate I’ve heard about it but what do I need to know for my car specifically?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
You need to read this discussion area.

You need to know if the fix was done

You need to know how much warranty was provided.

You need to know if the fix wasn't done what you need to get the car registered where you live.

Other questions
Is your tdi guy the one selling it?

Does he have a history with servicing that particular car for one of his customers?

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
You need to read this discussion area.

You need to know if the fix was done

You need to know how much warranty was provided.

You need to know if the fix wasn't done what you need to get the car registered where you live.

Other questions
Is your tdi guy the one selling it?

Does he have a history with servicing that particular car for one of his customers?
No he’s my mechanic he’s very good and he told me he works on these no he’s not the one selling it

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A '12 Jetta TDI is a nice car. That model was "de-contented" compared to its predecessor, and the '12 is the second year of production. As long as you don't mind some of the hard plastics in the interior and the LED fuel gauge, they're nice cars.

Couple things you should know:
  • The timing belt system has a 120K mile service interval. So in 8K or so you'll face a $1,000 - $1,500 service, depending on who does it.
  • If it's an automatic the transmission needs service every 40K. That's also a major service interval for engine fluids and filters
Read here to learn more about the VW court settlement and the emissions warranty on your car: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Hope this helps.

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
That was exactly what I was looking for thankyou. so these don’t harbor any curses or gremlins worth noting is what I’m hearing? Also what is a high mileage tdi? is 114k high? At approximately what mileage do they start so see issues and what might they be?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Tyler,
Read this:
Has the prior owner owned it a long time? If not maybe it's sat around for a while and needs serious help.
Food for thought.

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
Awesome those pictures I will be using thankyou. I am going to pay to have it inspected and I’ll share this pics with him I don’t know about it’s recent or not so history but I don’t think it’s been sitting (for no real reason) it is registered in california so that’s a good sigh and it’s had its Dieselgate emissions modification done so he says.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My car has had some pretty serious mods over the years, made about twice stock power for over 120K miles, but it did wear the engine out at 300K miles. It got a new factory long block then. My son's '02 Golf, however, is stock and just turned 400K miles with no major engine or drivetrain work. However, most don't expect the newer cars to last that long. 300K miles should be achievable, but not without some components wearing out, maybe more than once.

I'd say a tune alone won't affect longevity materially.

Last edited:

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
The guy said it haven’t been sitting long it was his dads until he bought a brand new car recently and price is somewhat flexible this is all sounding good sofar

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Everybody has a story. If it's Dad's car you need to speak to dad in person. If seller presents a title that's already signed you're opening yourself up to get played.

You seem young, possibly gullible or maybe both. Don't rely on what sellers tell you. Rely on what you see. That would be title in the name of the person you are dealing with and positive ID of the person you are dealing with. Receipts for work that was done or at least receipts for the parts they bought. If you haven't run an auto check or carfax now would be a good time. Verify the vin. This isn't a thousand dollar beater, it's a chunk of money for most people.

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
Drucifer you’ve not really had anything helpful or constructive to add to this thread if your just hear to act like a “know it all” and show off how much information you “know” Please stop replying to this thread I’m trying to find helpful useful practical information about tdi VW’s not general car buying and life advice thankyou😁

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Before this post
OP 12 POSTS
Drucifer 3posts
IBW 2 posts
STDOUBT 1 POST

Well formed questions get well thought out answers. You just seemed so happy to be here and did no research as to what you were getting into. You expected us to guess what you wanted to know.. The answers that IBW and STDOUBT gave were along the same lines. Dieselgate was widely reported at the time it broke thru mainstream media for many months. It was the lead story many times. It wasn't just talked about on forums and car magazines.

Happy TDI hunting

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
Before this post
OP 12 POSTS
Drucifer 3posts
IBW 2 posts
STDOUBT 1 POST

Well formed questions get well thought out answers. You just seemed so happy to be here and did no research as to what you were getting into. You expected us to guess what you wanted to know.. The answers that IBW and STDOUBT gave were along the same lines. Dieselgate was widely reported at the time it broke thru mainstream media for many months. It was the lead story many times. It wasn't just talked about on forums and car magazines.

Happy TDI hunting

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
No the other two are being helpful you seem like your just looking for an opportunity to bully people and show off thankyou but no thankyou on your 2cents.

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
And yeah I’m happy to be here and yeah I came here for information it was the first part of my research so far and if it wasn’t clear to you that I’m knew to tdi’s in my first post Idk what to tell you but if your not here to be helpful and just wanna have a pissing match please piss somewhere else

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
I agree and i'm good on his basic wisdom, he hasn't been helpful so far, he seems like a douche and if he's gonna be a dick to I'm good on his 2 cents. thankyou for your help again.
do these things toe well?
have you guys seen this? and how do you feel about it? (fatt farah's video on that tdi wagon)
Modified Jetta TDI Sportwagen - One Take - YouTube
specifically the straight pipe and a tune yay? nay? I don't need that much power (I know I'm getting ahead of myself but humor me?)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They tow pretty well. "Straight pipe" is code for a DPF (emissions) delete. You'll never be able to SMOG that in CA. (I'm assuming that oceanside is the oceanside near San Diego).

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
soooo.... brown with tan interior 2012 jetta wagon tdi with 6mt panoramic sunroof and 114,000 miles. originally from new york for about 2 yrs and 24,000 miles, 2nd owner Oklahoma for 5yrs driven to 96,000 miles, current owner purchased in Georgia for a year driven to 97k and crashed it.
  • Accident reported: moderate damage
    • Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision
    • Damage to front
    • Airbag deployed
    • Vehicle towed
then failed an emissions inspection in georgia and has its registration renewed the same day? according to carfax. then 4 months and 3,000 miles later passes a California emissions inspection and a title is "issued or updated" car fax says its worth $5,470 the guy says he wants $7,500 im getting different numbers from different sources is was alot of service history i think its been taken care of and the emissions thing was on their aswell.

what you guys think? i think its a cool car and i want it. but its got some history and not just the good kind.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Insert joke here about brown tdi wagon from automotive journalist...

Jokes aside....seems kinda high...

tyler velarde

TDI
jetta
give me joke!!!
i bought a 2017 stock fiesta st and cant believe how much fun it is. i was very intrigued by how rare the jetta must be.
the guy said he knew nothing about the crash. and a replacement part. filter fixed it.