TDI into Toyota (another one)

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
First off let me start by saying I'm new on here, although I have been stalking this forum for years. I currently have a 2000 jetta TDI in which I commute 75 miles one way daily. This car has been modded due to the inspiration of the people on this forum.

3" exhaust, .216 injectors, Kerma tune, SAchs Vr6 clutch, Homemade race pipe etc....

Now its time for a new project...

I have a 1992 toyota pickup that I have had for a couple years. It has only 60k original miles and is in amazing shape (both body and frame). The original owner bought it new and immediately turned it into a lifted show truck so its never really been beat on. It has 11" of lift and 38" super swamper tires. The current driveline consists of a ford 5.0l liter with a Kenne bell supercharger w/ a homemade custom intake manifold I built myself to allow the use of A2A interecooler with a honda civic radiator mounted in the bed, C4 transmission mated to dual toyota transfer cases and a SAS with a toyota axle out of an early 1980s yota.

I have always been a diesel junky and have owned many ford powerstrokes long before my VW days (still have a 1996 F250 sb cc and a 1997 mason dump. Both frame off restorations).

I always wanted a toyota with a diesel and the opportunity is here with a score of a great running 2001 VW TDI I found. The motor had a new head abd pistions (timing belt blew) 20k miles before the accident.

So I sold the Motor out of the truck and ordered up the ACME adapters kit, a marlin crawler 1600lbs ceramic clutch, found a good W56 trans, stripped out the motor and wiring harness on the VW and decided to give it a go...

I have some pics to show but can't figure out how to post them please let me know how to do and I will...

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI

the motor (out and ready)

the truck - with motor still in. I have a deposit on the motor/supercharger and will be selling this week.

the truck again

the adapter

too many wires!! no not really. I just quickly went through them and it narrows down quickly

the intercooler setup in the toolbox in the bed.. to the right is the reserrvoir (set up as icebox. In the center is a honda civic radiator as the heat exchanger...

pic of the motor in the truck now..

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
And you will have plenty of room to put the radiator back in the engine bay if you choose. . . Very clean truck though, what gears are in the diffs?

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
Welcome Jesse. Nice to see you here. I hope to see the swap in person while it's going on and do it myself some day soon.
That's a big truck.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I definitely don't have to worry about the oil pan.

The diffs are 4.88s, I don't plan on moving up the heat exchanger to the front. I'm just going to use the intercooler as it is. It was able to keep the 5.0l IAT down to about +10degrees over ambient and that was with all the heat that Kenne Bell pumps out. I think this setup will be overkill on that little TDI.

BigBlue come check it out anytime, you just might want to let me get a little done so its a little more impressive.

Jesse

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Re. '92 Toyota ALH TDI

Subscribed. Sweet truck!

Thanks for taking inspiration and turning it into something others can take home and utilize. That's what the best folks on this forum do...

What kind of power loss are you looking at?

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the power loss going from the V8. If I was worried about the power I would stick with the ford motor. I love diesel vehicles and have always wanted a diesel toyota and the opportunity has presented itself so I'm going to take it. I looked into going with one of the mercedes diesel or a cummins 4bt because I could get a bellhousing that would bolt right up to my C4, but honestly for power to weight as well as drivability you can't beat a TDI.

I guess I really don't have to say that on this forum....

Can't wait to finish a big project we have going on at work so I can start working normal hours and put some time into the Yota. My goal is to have this thing up and running by June or July but that may be a bit optimistic. We'll see....

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
sweet conversion man...that truck reminds me so much of my buddies 94' that used to be my truck but was totally stock when I had it...after he bought it it went up, up, up :) ...nows he's converting it to a 3RZ... I bet that 302 with the kenne bell would roll out!!...my pop does performance/tranny work on fox bodies so I'm pretty familiar with the ford small block....good choice on the engine swap though...you won't be disappointed

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick little update.

Just got my marlin crawler stuff yesterday that was backordered for close to a month. 1600lbs pressure plate, clutch disc, slave and master cylinder. I ordered a Ceramic Competition Clutch and the disc that I recieved is not a puck style as shown on the marlin site. Does anyone know if that is still a ceramic or if they may have sent me an organic by accident. I'll have to call on monday and ask, as there is no marking on the box or disc at all.

Also got my clutch pedal setup off ebay in on wednesday as the truck had an automatic in it and I needed the pedal assembly.

This morning I pulled the 302 and the C4 out and I've got the guy coming to pick that up this afternoon and then probably spend a few hours tomorrow stripping the rest of the junk out of the truck so I have a fresh canvas.

I'll try and post a couple pics this weekend.

Another quick question, in reading a little more on here I'm not sure how to find TDC for a flywheel to bellhousing mark on the toy flywheel. I never thought to check before I sold the VW trans. I saw LukeWilsons method but Is just measuring the center of the top two bolt holes and marking good enough for a TB change for an ALH?? ANyone got any suggestions??

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I think luke is dead on with the measuring between the two bolts...but you'll need to establish another reference once you find TDC....I'm thinking of marking my flywheel through the starter hole...but I may cut a dedicated hole in the separator plate and mark the fly there

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Clutch

So....

Looked on marlin crawler's site and their ceramic competition clutch disc that I paid almost $100 extra for looked nothing like the disc I recieved in the mail. Called them up and needless to say they screwed up and a ceramic is coming along with return shipping. I just hope this isn't backordered forever like the original order. Whatever, still too busy at work to put time into the project. Maybe this weekend....

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday was interesting, Pulled all the unneeded accessories off the motor with grand hopes of having it nestled between the fenderwells by last night. EGR, turbo, intake manifold, hoses, etc.

Then I got sidetracked and decided I was going to pull apart the turbo just to see how the vanes looked, etc. It was working fine when I started, tested w/ a vac pump. Anyway, I ended up breaking one of the retainer bolts on the exhaust side and then in trying to pull the vanes out I broke one of the three little retainer bolts that hold those in. Needless to say i think it may be time for an upgrade. Just not sure if it will be going in the yota or if I will throw it in my car and keep the VNT15 from my car and put that in the yota.

I also realized that the VNT15 is very limiting ints ability to clock it. I had a great idea to put the turbo on upside down by spacing the manifold from the block and so the manifold comes up around the intake. This would allow tons of room for starter clearance. This idea was shot down quickly by not being able to clock the trubo correctly to get the oil feed/drain oriented correctly - nevermind the actuator. However, I think I'm still going to space the manifold to allow starter clearance by machining some 2" spacers that look like extrusions of the manifold gaskets made out of either alum or cast iron and then use 2 sets of gaskets and longer studs. I'll see if I can get a picture up. Not sure if that would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I just came up from the garage to print out some info on finding TDC from cumminsfromthecold and now I've been up here for an hour. BAck to work

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I used a 2KW 3RZ starter...when mounted to the W series bell it clocks out of the way of the ALH turbo...you have to add a tab to the bell...but it's a no brainer when you consider the clearance and the output (same as a TDI starter)

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Found TDC this week with the help of cumminsfromthecold's posts. I ended up just using a 3/4" parrellel and i think it was a .020" feeler gage to lock the cam in once I got the cam positioned with the passenger side cylinder cam lobes disengaged. Just doubled checked the flywheel measurements between the top two bolt holes on the engine and then I mounted my Acme kit and my toyota flywheel. I used Lukewilson's Idea and drilled a 3/16" locking pin hole through the adapter plate (near the starter location) and about 1/2" into the flywheel. Works great with a 3/16" dowel pin.

Also, got my ceramic clutch from Marlin Crawler today as well as the plates from ACME for the starter shim and the inspection cover. Let me say that the starter/inspection cover plates are awesome. All precision cut and zinc plated the same as the adapter. (awesome for free!)

Can't wait to mate the motor to trans and then work on Starter to turbo clearance. I think I'm going to work that out before sitting the motor in the engine bay. Once I get it in the engine bay and located/bolted the xfers in I will worry about mounts. I like Jim Bote's setup and will probably do a mount setup very similar to that.

Can't work on it this weekend, going up north snowmobiling..... Until Next week.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
slow but steady

So made a little progress. Got the transmission, engine ans xfer cases all pressure washed with some engine brite. I had the motor in the engine bay and tried to mate it to the xfer case. The well known fire wall/vacuum pump interference became very evident. I made the decision to not even bother trying to "massage" the firewall. There is soooooo much room between the motor and radiator so I figured I would just push the whole setup forward a little. After a little measuring 3" looks like the magic number for me. I really don't care about lengthening/shortening the driveshafts because my front one is a square tubing one and the rear was shortened and "custom balanced" by yours truly when installing the dual xfer cases and needed to see my local driveshaft shop anyway.

I currently have a Marlin Crawler steel dual case mount and so I figured I would just make some custom mounts on the frame to slide it forward. I did this with some 3/8" steel plate that is threaded to bolt the xfer mount to these plates. I will then weld these plates to the frame (made the mounts but haven't welded on yet) I also made the passenger side mount 2" thick to give the engine some of the 20* tilt that it was designed for. I did this with some c channel and when I get some pics of it installed it will make more sense.

Anyway, I also have a plan with the shifter. Since I have the 3" body lift I am going to cut the shifter just below the floor and weld a 3" piece of rod horizontally in the shifter handle. Just easier than trying to heat and bend the shifter like spaghetti in some crazy shape to get it back in some reasonable position.

Also got my clutch pedal installed (was removed when the truck was converted to ford automatic trans) as well as my marlin crawler master cylinder.

Last thing, So after some research the project has also taken a little bit of a new direction. Work is killing me and I have zero time so I am taking a step that will hopefully save me countless hours. I know many people don't agree that this is the best route especially when I have all the wiring and ecu but I have made the decision to go Mtdi. I talked to Giles a couple times on the phone and he is expecting my pump in the next couple weeks. He is going to rebuild the entire pump and convert it to Mtdi using a AAZ pump core. Its pricey but I don't have the time to tackle that box of wires I have upstairs. If anyone needs something let me know, but I would like to sell the entire wiring package together (ECU, harness, ignition, cluster). I also order the .216 nozzles I have in my car, as I am very satisfied with them. I am now researching and trying to figure out what turbo to use and how to control the VNT if I go that route.

Enough for tonight, hopefully i can get some pics up this weekend.....

Jesse

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
JayTee013,
Good to see progress! Looking forward to seeing some more pics. I have an unused ALH oil drainback line if you need it and other miscellany.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Soooo......

got super lucky today...

Was just searching craigslist for the fun of it today and found a GT2256 turbo off a '06 dodge sprinter. The kid wanted $300 for it so I went to look at it since it was about 15 miles from my house. Long story short he worked at a dodge dealer a few years back and somehow got possession of the turbo. Needless to say I'm in possession of a GT2256 for $100. He said the van it came off of had about 50k on it and it looks to be in great shape.. No shaft play and vanes work with no binding. Super excited!!

Taking the injection pump off tomorrow and sending it on its way to giles on monday.

imtryin

TDI
smashed up 98 jetta tdi soon to go into a toyota pickup
oh dang!! super lucky indeed. congrats on your find and good luck on your swap. i dont thing going mtdi is all that bad 410four seemed to like his a lot.

-Sam

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I think I will be very satisfied with a Giles pump. I hear nothing but good reviews. It is crazy expensive but I'm going to do it once and do it right and if I count my time sorting out the wiring I think I will still be ahead of the game.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple pics of progress

I think I made a boo boo as far as posting pics...

Apparently you cannot store very many pics on the forum so in deleting some to make room for soom new ones I apparently deleted some of them out of my former posts. I'll have to get on photobucket. Very newbie mistake.

Here is a shot of the passenger side transfer case mount I was talking about before. It is spaced down a little on the passenger side to give a little tilt to the motor. It is also pushed forward 3" too and pitches the entire drivetrain to favor the rear

In this pic you can see the final location of the trasfer cases with respect to the rest of the truck. It pitches the whole drivetrain up in the front and down in the rear. Overall I'm very happy with the mounts and the location it sits the motor. It will be a real test when I slide in the motor/trans and see if my measurements are right but I'm pretty confident this will work..

I also sent out my injection pump to Giles today and my goal is to get the motor mounts done while the pump is gone so when It gcomes back in I can mount the whole motor in there for final fitment, (hoses wires etc.) Of course I fully expect to have the motor in and out of there about ten more times before I'm done, but I might get lucky....

Lastly, just cuz I like to show off my baby when I can and maybe a couple of other dieselheads would appreciate it - My other diesel powered toy with lots of my time and energy:

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems that some of the pics I put in and deleted stayed in the posts. Why is that??? Is it how I posted them (ie linked medium or medium pic)? any advice would be appreciated

RBX

TDI
none
Nice work!!
Why is the drive train being pitched down in the back? Is it a matter of engine placement, perhaps not being able to mount the truck lower in the engine bay? A nice mod(if you have a bodylift) would be to raise the transfercase to gain a "flat belly" for clearance. You would have to raise the horse collar also however.
Good job, keep the pics flowing!

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
The drivetrain Isn't really all that pitched to the rear. My mounts give it a little pitch down in the back but its really only a couple degrees over stock. What it really does is tilt the t-cases to the passenger side which will help me gain some angle when mounting the motor to get back some of the "tilt" the tdi was designed for. With my mounts as they are and the body lift it really would be nice to do the flat belly, but I already have that sweet trail gear 1/2" thick skid which has that drop in it. I could cut out a nice flat 1/2" thick steel mount, but In reality the cases only hang about 1" lower than stock on the passenger side and it is at stock height on the drivers side and I gain two things by this. The engine tilt and my drive shaft angles are much improved for the small amount I lose in clearance, especially as the front will be 3" shorter. Now that I look at that pic of the side of the truck the t-case mount looks like it hangs a lot lower than it does in person. I think I took that picture laying on the ground at an upward angle.

I have been looking into how I'm going to control the vanes on my 2256 and I think I will run a springed throttle cable setup with a wastegate actuator boost override that overcomes the spring force of the throttle cable. I have a design sketched out that uses an adjustable lever to be able to "tune" the setup. May or may not work with some spring/actuator experimentation but I have seen some people happy with similiar setups on other forums (mercedes and idi vw's) that in my opinion have less adjustability than what I'm envisioning. If that doesn't work I'm also considering a vacuum based setup similiar to the stock vnt 15 that is activated by a vacuum senoid via a microswitch at 1/4 throttle and then overidden by a dawes device introducing boost into the vacuum line. Any thoughts??? It seems this topic is often discussed on many forums with no optimal solution found. I think some gear head electrical engineer should come up with a standalone vaccum based vnt controller and market it. I would buy one.

RBX

TDI
none
Gotcha, you definitely will benefit from the t-case being pitched down a bit more looking at your drive-shaft angle. I was going to suggest a clockable adapter from inchworm, trail-gear or marlin crawler...i may do this because my rig isn't as lifted.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Sent my injection pump out to giles on April 19th but hadn't heard anything so I called him yesterday. He said he hadn't received it yet. Got really worried and when the post office acted like they had no idea, I was even more alarmed. Long story short, it ended sitting in New York for 2 weeks and went through customs today. WHEW! In my panic mode I started evaluating other options and found that Giles doesn't actually need a running pump but just a core and I found one on ebay cheap so I'm just going to buy that and have Giles rebuild and convert that to a mechanical. And now I have a spare for my car, or if I ever get ambitious it leaves the option open for going back to electronic. That way someday I can build a plug and play harness while I actually have a running truck. That will probably never happen but its still an option.