Tdi into Mk2 - soundproofing

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
I made the mistake of not fitting any bulkhead soundproofing before fitting the engine.I have nothing on the underside the bonnet at all.I'd be interested in what products to use (thickness/method of fixing etc) - pics would be cool;)

Has anyone tried squeezing sound deadening in behind the engine afterwards - looks a bit tricky to me:confused:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
For the bonnet insulation you could probably use the factory sound pad. Its held in place with clips and braces so it should be easily transfered.

-Jason

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
stock mk2 diesels had 3 unique pieces to them - the hood insulation piece - the skidplate that had sound deadening material on it and a special firewall pad to keep the sound down.

the hood piece and clips and the firewall pad can still be ordered for semi-reasonable prices from VW.

the firewall piece is 191863923 and is ~75 bucks

the hood sound absorber is 191863835a and is ~225 with the various clips needed new from vw.

the belly pan is still available but is stupid expensive - nearing 500 bucks for the plastic one - spend the money on the metal after market one and slap some foam on it or something and save the money. I've yet to see a factory plastic skidplate in all my years of wrenching on VW's for what thats worth...

I'm acquiring the hood insulation used, going to buy the firewall piece and probably supplement with some insulation on the inside firewall and will be buying a metal skid plate for the bottom side.

Make sure you have the right mounts in place and don't have any exhaust rubbing on anything - that will help really quiet the engine down a lot.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
do a search on the vortex to see what the corrado guys use on the hood. over the years there have been many threads about aftermarket foam hood liners. You might also be able to make the mk3 firewall sound deadener work and these are easily found in the junkyard.

I've been driving a new CC while I do the turbo upgrade on my corrado and I was telling my wife yesterday that it feels like a hybrid at stoplights because its so quiet. The only way I can tell its still on is by looking at the tach. There are no vibrations at all.

Last edited:

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
I've been driving a new CC while I do the turbo upgrade on my corrado and I was telling my wife yesterday that it feels like a hybrid at stoplights because its so quiet. The only way I can tell its still on is by looking at the tach. There are no vibrations at all.
What's a CC?

thechocolateman

TDI
01 TDI & 86 IDI Jettas
I have a few years experience working with car audio, and have tried a number of sound deadening products. So I'd first like to say, anything from dynomat is over priced and under performs. You're paying for a name.
Also, You have to be careful what you put under a hood because engine heat can cause many adhesives to deteriorate. Just because something is advertised as working under the hood doesn't mean it will last.

As far as behind the engine, do not stuff any type of deadener back there. Your best bet is a ceramic firewall coating. The best one I know of is made by SecondSkin audio
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php
That won't deaden noise quite as much as a dedicated sound deadener product will, but it will take extreme levels of heat. You can then put traditional sound deadening mats or coatings on the cab side of the firewall if you want it quieter. (check out companies like RAAMaudio, SoundDeadenerShowdown, and again - SecondSkin. All three of these companies are great.)

I do know SecondSkin also makes a hood liner, although its mainly just a thermal barrier and will do little to block noise. So it may not be what you're interested in. They intend for you to put a traditional sound deadener, like CLD mats or visceolastic coatings, directly on the under side of the hood, then use a thermal hood liner to protect the deadener from heat. I have never personally done this and cannot comment on how well it might work. I can say I have always been please with SecondSkin products and wouldn't be scared to try something like this.

I know a lot of other companies make hood liners, and I'm sure some are great. I simply don't have any experience with them and don't know what to recommend. Of the deadening companies I have used and like, second skin is the only one that even makes a hood liner product so that's the only one I'm able to point to. You might try digging around at caraudioforum.com as there are a lot of guys on there with extensive experience with deadeners

Hope this helps.

familytractor

TDI
1996 jetta 1.9 td
do your self a favor, and use a home product called roxul ( mineral wool )...in the great white north you get it at home reno stores. the stuff that would be best is 3.5 ' THICK, but can be modified. fireproof, and inexpensive its a fab sound insulator...i use it on my cars, and rv genny compartments....works like a charm...

cheers

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
"the stuff that would be best is 3.5' THICK"

Three-and-a-half feet of sound insulation would surely make the car quiet, but where would you sit?

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
"the stuff that would be best is 3.5' THICK"
Three-and-a-half feet of sound insulation would surely make the car quiet, but where would you sit?
The Roxul is 3.5 inches thick... designed to fit in a 2x4 wall, they also make it 5.5 inches thick for a 2x6 wall.