Tdi into mk1 Ford Transit (UK)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
I've had this Transit for about 6 years now its a 1970 and only has about 15k miles on it - i drove it back from Germany where it'd been used as a firevan, my plan is to convert it into a camper

unfortunately the engine is a 1.7 V4 uneconomical and underpowered and to top it off not a UK engine (we had the essex v4 this is a cologne v4) so parts are had to get.
so far all ive done is get it UK registered and convert it to RHD, ive also made a start on the beds and kitchen but the engine is more important now
the reason ive gone for a Tdi is apart from being a great engine its very short - ideal for an engine bay designed for a V4
i'll update this thread as i progress - i'll need a lot of help as i have no experience with VW engines but ive done a fair few other engine swaps mostly into Transits loads of Di's but ive also done a V6 BOA, a YB turbo and my favourite a 2JZGTE
my plan is to use a gearbox from a 2.0 VW crafter (thanks to advice off here)
so far ive bought a passat for a donor but i was after an AFN but slipped up and bought an ATJ so i am going to proceed with that
my plan now is to remove the wiring loom - thin it out and refit it to check it works while still in the passat - the remove the lot and fit it in the Transit
i am looking for a good complete wiring diagram for it (see other thread)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
ive got the engine half of the loom out

anyone know what these connection plugs go to? obviously the ign switch is on them and the accelerator pedal is but not sure how much else i'll need or what do do about the immobiliser???

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
How did you manage that? A PD instead of an AFN lol

Anyway I've no idea but what about finding a manual for the passat? Haynes or other as they should have the diagrams you need.

Not sure you'll get much on here as it's not an engine they got in the states. Could maybe try a UK passat forum too for info collecting.

Ps Cool van

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
thanks

i was told to get a passat W-reg or earlier with silver TDi badges - so i did but when i collected it the red had rubbed off lol

thing is it drives spot on and only cost £265 so i thought might as well use it

just found out its going to cost £75 to have the immobiliser removed - is that about right?

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
this was modifying the front mk1 crossmember as the 1.9 sump is lower

1st marked it out took it off and cut it, then tacked in 2 angled box sections

then bolted it up back on the van - clamped it together and marked it out

then cut the piece out tacked it in in situ

then removed it ready for fully welding

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
this picture shows the finished (not painted yet) crossmember - the circular disks were cut out of plate with a hole saw - they seat the passat engine mount rubbers, they also utilise the hole in the crossmember so they can be unbolted from underneith - bit of luck really
the engine mounts were made in the usual way - plates cut and bolted to the block then tacked to the mounts - removed and welded up :D the o/s one is an odd shape as it has to go round the starter motor. these need painting too but i want to check it all bolts up before painting them

tomorrows job is to bolt it all up so i have the engine sat on the mounts

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
anyone know if all the inlet manifolds are interchangeable? just mine fouls on the servo and one facing the other way would overcome the problem

also i have/am deleting the egr - can i get rid of the vac accumulator/reservoir thing? or would it be best to leave it in?

thanks

Zed.

TDI
'89 B3 T'die Passat wagon. '95 T4 van (1Z T'die converted). '87 mk2 Golf AHU tdi converted /02a etc. '92 & '95 200tdi Landrover Discovery
anyone know if all the inlet manifolds are interchangeable? just mine fouls on the servo and one facing the other way would overcome the problem
also i have/am deleting the egr - can i get rid of the vac accumulator/reservoir thing? or would it be best to leave it in?
thanks
the manifolds are interchangeable, there are loads to choose from :cool:
the egr & its pipework can be binned to the solenoid (keep plugged in to save fault-codes or remove & solder a resistor in-line to stop the ecu having a fit :D ) but I'd leave the accumulator as it probably helps the turbo's actuator vacuum thinggy doodah....

Rich.

ps, great van, had a few :cool:

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
thanks - got a seat altea manifold today and it fitted perfect - just needed a bit grinding off that fouled on the turbo actuator
making up a bracket to lower the alt position so i can fit the radiator in :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Great to see you doing all your own modding/fabricating etc, love that kinda build

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
thanks i like to do as much work as i can myself best way to learn:)
fitted the gearstick and cables today - needs finishing but i can select all 7 gears

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
didnt get much done today but i made a start on the exhaust - im just cutting up the passat one and using that - should be ok for a few years:)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
made a bracket to fit the passat accelerator pedal onto the transit bulkhead today

also needed the pedal re-shaping to fit the floor:)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
bit of a set back today - got hold of a new flywheel but when i fitted it on the crank it fouls on the adapterplate

the 2.0 crafter crank must be longer than 1.9 one

racked my brains for a bit and ive decided the best way is to machine down the adapterplate

shame as i was hoping to have the engine box mounted today and start wiring up but i'll have to wait until this is done before i can continue

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Got any pics of the adapter plate? There are bunch of different spacers available in various different thicknesses which might help?

Also, a bit late, but I have wiring diagrams for most things if you need any more :)

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Could you elaborate more on your rear-wheel drive gearbox - what exactly is that out of (you stated 2.0 VW crafter)? You guys get a lot of neat stuff over there that we don't get here in the states!

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
i've dropped the adapterplate off at the machine shop - i'll post up a pic when i get it back - hopefully tomorrow:) all i am having machined off it the bit that goes behind the flywheel - i could have cut it off but i wanted to retain as much strength as possible
i test fitted the clutch and flywheel on the box today (just to be sure) and it all fits
and yes the box is out of a VW crafter 2.0 Tdi - i didnt even know this van existed until someone on here told me:) we had one deliver some steel at work the other day - i had a look all over it (the driver must have thought i was a bit odd asking if i could sit in it and try the gears:eek:) it was the 1st time i'd seen one up close - i had a look at how the box was mounted and the cables ran etc. just to check the stuff ive done for mine is ok

Last edited: