TDI into a Fiero

Tyrome_Jackson

TDI
none yet
Good Afternoon, I have a goal to swap a 1.9 TDI Engine into a Fiero gt, but I am not to familiar with diesels and had a few questions that I need help with Before I go search for a motor/Trans:
1) Where do I find and what are the codes to tell me what exact engine/ transmission came in that particular car?
2) The fiero's throttle body is actuated by a cable going to the gas pedal, is there any fuel pumps that I could use on the engine that are cable driven?( I saw a YouTube Video Using a 4BT Cummins pump but their cost is little to high to justify not having a computer)
3) What are the best years for the TDI Engine in relation to power/reliability?
4) Also, what is the most reliable transmission for the 1.9 TDI Manual or Auto?
5) Is there anyway to have the motor not be controlled by a computer relatively easily with a manual attached to it?
6) What are the bare minimum sensors needed for a computer to run the engine?
7) where can I find a wiring diagram for the engine compartment? For an example a 2004 TDI Manual Jetta I found in the junk yard today.
Thank you for any and all help, I know this isn't going to be easy or a cake walk but I think worth it in the long run.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Interesting swap ....

1) I think you could google how to read vin numbers and what they mean .... or I guess you could go by model year ...example 1999 to 2003 is the alh engine etc ... there are breakdowns of engine years on this site somewhere I'd imagine

2) Many of the newer TDIs are drive by wire so you need to get the electronic throttle pedal and wiring etc.... a 4BT is a heavy engine and would probably crush the fiero so without major work to beef things 4BT should be ruled out.

3) Lots of people like the ALH engines ... simple, cheap to fix / mod (see #1 above for years available)

4) 2003 and older manual is best ..... after 2004 automatics got better but many still like 5 speed for reliability and better MPG

5) There are conversions to make some more recent TDIs a mechanical engine or if you get older (possibly non tdi) there are more mechanical engines out there .... I think 1.6 and some 1.9 were mechanical

6) For more recent TDI engines , a swap wil go better if you have an entire running donor car so you can be sure to get all the wiring etc needed to run the car (ecu also needed etc...).

7) You may look for a Chiltons book if they still make them or there are really good manuals for our cars but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the books .... I think it starts with a "b" as for as the manual names.

Good luck on the build .... love to see how it goes if you start a build thread ( I had a fiero years ago nice little cars and even fun to drive).

Andrew

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Someone else did this swap about 10 years ago or so. I think out of florida? Or at least back East for Sure.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
BHW 2.0, soon to be in my Wrangler.
I owned and modified about 6 Fieros once upon a time. Loved those little cars, a TDI in a Fiero would be an awesome swap. (and has been done)
I would suggest an ALH, and keep it as light and simple as possible. You won't be able to keep the factory pedal, but just wire up the pedal that comes with the ALH car.
That would be a great swap.

CoolBlue87GT

TDI
1988 Fiero Formula TDI
Good Afternoon, I have a goal to swap a 1.9 TDI Engine into a Fiero gt.
2) The fiero's throttle body is actuated by a cable going to the gas pedal, is there any fuel pumps that I could use on the engine that are cable driven?
Hi, did you ever get this project off the ground ? I'm the guy in Florida with the TDI Fiero. Using the fly by wire pedal from the doner car is the best way to go.
Dave

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
How are the transmission ratios in the fiero? They came with a 2.8 v6 or i4. A g6 6 speed transmission can be adapted to fit in place of the getrag, only maybe 1/4" longer.