tdi into a 67 Jeepster Commando

addes426

TDI
I have a 67 Jeepster Commando and an 02 Beetle TDI. I plan to have FastForward rework the computer and harness but I'm having problems finding an adapter for the TH400 trans in the JC. I can find them for Chevy but Jeep used a BOP trans. (Buick in my Jeep) It's not the same. Has anybody here chased this rabbit? Thanks

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
You can buy a Chevy to BOP adapter. I think jegs and summit used to carry them.

They are cheap.

addes426

TDI
You can buy a Chevy to BOP adapter. I think jegs and summit used to carry them.

They are cheap.
Yea, the Chevy to BOP is common but I'd like to find a TDI to BOP. All I can find is TDI to Chevy. The 2 main dowel pins are the same as well as a couple bolt holes in the Chevy/Bop TH400s. I keep thinking somebody will make an adapter to cover both.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't think you'll find a BOP to tdi adapter. Just not popular enough. You'd have to build one or mod one. Or spend 50 bucks on the plate to adapt the two, would cost the least and be the easiest.

addes426

TDI
Don't think you'll find a BOP to tdi adapter. Just not popular enough. You'd have to build one or mod one. Or spend 50 bucks on the plate to adapt the two, would cost the least and be the easiest.

That seems to be the case. It just rubs me to pay that much for an adapter, then have to adapt it. What you're talking about is my back-up plan, which will most likely become my plan a. I bet when I'm done, there'll be a pattern for a tdi to BOP adapter. I'll see to it. :)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
From what I can see online you should be able to use the TD Conversions adapter, bolt it to the trans and drill the holes that are missing using the Buick trans as a drill guide?
The dowels are the important part to align the adapter and trans so if they are the same then this should be easy for you to do? The TDC adapter is about 1/2" thick where it looks like the holes need to be added. 1630776595812.png

addes426

TDI
From what I can see online you should be able to use the TD Conversions adapter, bolt it to the trans and drill the holes that are missing using the Buick trans as a drill guide?
The dowels are the important part to align the adapter and trans so if they are the same then this should be easy for you to do? The TDC adapter is about 1/2" thick where it looks like the holes need to be added. View attachment 118711
It didn't look to me like there was enough extra material for the new holes. The BOP looks taller in front. If there is enough room, what you suggested would work great. I was going to post a pic but I can't. Here's a link to a page with a pic though. https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_automatic.php

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I just assumed the top set of holes on the Chevy/BOP adapter were the Chevy ones but they must be the BOP ones? so yea not enough material on the TDC adapter for that.

addes426

TDI
I just assumed the top set of holes on the Chevy/BOP adapter were the Chevy ones but they must be the BOP ones? so yea not enough material on the TDC adapter for that.
I've contacted several adapter cos. and suggested they could appeal to a larger market by making the adapter dual pattern. Not interested.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Wouldn't a Chevy TH400 bolt to your transfercase? Or a 4l80?

addes426

TDI
Wouldn't a Chevy TH400 bolt to your transfercase? Or a 4l80?

I don't know for sure but I'd think so. The thing is, I want to keep the BOP so I can swap the odd fire Buick back in and have it basically stock if I decide to sell it later. I'm going to look into it though because having the OEM motor and drive line in the corner of the garage, unmolested, has it's perks too.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Since we're spending someone else's money how about the 6l80e with more versatile gear ratios.

addes426

TDI
Since we're spending someone else's money how about the 6l80e with more versatile gear ratios.
By the time I have the VW computer reprogrammed and buy the adapter, there will be no money. Seriously, I'm open to about any option. I'm just trying to use what I have and the simpler I keep things the EZer it wil go.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The th400 used to be a 50 dollar core trans you could readily find used. Im not so sure you'll find that these days