TDI fuel issue

Sue Griffin

TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon
I have a 2013 VW Jetta wagon TDI that I bought about a year ago.

I’ve been using biodiesel fuel since I bought the car without a problem. A few days ago I got a red dashboard warning light for “oil pressure."

I took the car to the mechanic who has been servicing the car since I bought it. He has indicated that there's fuel in the oil pan, and, it smells like French fries.

My mechanic says that there is a lot of "gunk" in my engine and the engine is ruined; he's advising, get a new engine. This French fry smell is not uncommon for biodiesel users, yes?

I need advice as to what has caused this problem and what I can do to fix it and, is my mechanic correct (he's a good mechanic but I don't think his expertise for biodiesel is very high).

Is the engine "ruined" or is it something else? Help !

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Please clarify for others that you mean biodiesel, and not WVO? What percentage of biodiesel? Your engine system is not particularly happy using actual biodiesel, but (IIRC) VW allows up to 5% (B5) for common rail engines. This refers to high quality BioD that meets ASTM standards, and not WVO or SVO or anything else. Many owners don't favor BioD because of ill effects on the fuel system, especually for newer cars. Have you (1) checked the oil level? (2) Changed the oil? (3) Changed the fuel filter? (4) Run a tank of diesel through it? Perhaps try also using a can of high quality fuel additive? Do you have someone nearby who knows TDI's that can check out the issues?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Have to ask - is the oil light blinking? If so, don't run the engine.
If it's not blinking, ensure you have your oil level to the top before running it.
I believe your mechanic is probably wrong. If you want the best possible assessment, you'll need to tow the car to a
Trusted TDI Mechanic. Hear me now and believe me later!
I bought my first TDI so I could run BioD. Since 2006, she's had B50 in Winter and B99 Summer.
High Biodiesel blends are OK in the older (<2004) TDI but your car is really not built for anything over B5.
French fry odor is not uncommon. But if you can smell it, you're probably running too high a blend.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Oh, geeze. Not seeing anyone anywhere near Chico.
If your car was running fine and the only problem you saw was the oil light come on,
here's my best advice - this is all DIY, but with enough application of logic, even a non-mechanic can do it!
#1. Ensure you have adequate volume of oil. Your user manual will come in handy.
#1a. Drive your car home (as long s the oil light isn't blinking).
#2. Find a way to pump your high-blend BioD out of your fuel tank (we can advise as you go).
#3. Fill your fuel tank with Diesel #2.
#4. Drive, and if all goes well, you'll know you have to keep an eye on your oil level!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The newer cars will not tolerate more than B20. VW only approves B5 except in some states that require B20. They also advise to check oil more often and if it is rising to change the oil due to fuel (Bio) contamination. B100 absolutely not to be used. During regen of the dpf extra fuel is injected late in the combustion cycle to heat up the dpf to burn off the soot. When using Bio some of this condenses on the cylinder walls and is washed down with the oil contaminating it. If you are using high concentration you should stop.

I would change the oil and test and if okay use only D2 for a while and then only B5 at the most.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
The OP appears to have only owned this vehicle 12 months or so and has been running WVO or something like it since day 1 . This is a little unorthodox and I'd be really curious as to who advised her on this matter......... the answer here might go a long way to as to whether todays issue is a blown motor or just a minor issue. Personally Id drop the existing oil as well as the entire contents of the fuel tank and replace with regular D2 asap. There was a pile of discussion on WVO about 12 years ago, some swore it was the best thing since sliced bread , but a lot of others totalled a previously good engine

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Sue, these guys are right^^
#1. should be ask your mechanic to drain your oil and fuel, replace with "VW spec full synthetic"
and Diesel #2. Ask him what codes if any it has set. Write them down. Ask him to clear them (the codes),
and see if you can drive out of there. That'll get him a few hundred bux, and if all goes well,
lesson learned.
Here's hoping it goes well!

Sue Griffin

TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon
Oh, geeze. Not seeing anyone anywhere near Chico.
If your car was running fine and the only problem you saw was the oil light come on,
here's my best advice - this is all DIY, but with enough application of logic, even a non-mechanic can do it!
#1. Ensure you have adequate volume of oil. Your user manual will come in handy.
#1a. Drive your car home (as long s the oil light isn't blinking).
#2. Find a way to pump your high-blend BioD out of your fuel tank (we can advise as you go).
#3. Fill your fuel tank with Diesel #2.
#4. Drive, and if all goes well, you'll know you have to keep an eye on your oil level!
I'm going to try doing this and will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks to all those who responded.