TDI Emission Levels

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Does anyone know or know where one could find the "typical" emission levels of the following compounds for a 1.9L ALH engine:

oxides of nitrogen:
volatile organic compounds:
carbon monoxide:

TIA

uponblocks

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
You can look here to get the EPA certification data for vehicles. In 2003, the TDI Jetta wagon 100k mile federal emissions were: CO, 0.4; HC-NM, 0.05; NOX, 0.54; PM, 0.05 (I assume these are all g/mile).

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
That thought had come to mind, yes...

I sent an email to the VA Dept of Environmental Quality to see what emission levels they use to measure what constitutes a "clean fuel".

Haven't heard back from them and I didn't tell them why I wanted the information.

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
Well, the law simply states that the "clean fuel" needs to be cleaner than a conventional or reformulated gasoline fueled version of the vehicle with repsect to any one or combination of oxides of nitrogen, volatile organic compounds, carbon monoxide. So I'd get the ratings from that same EPA website for the 2.0 gas Jetta of the same model year and use that as a comparison.

Don't expect a decent answer from the Dept. of Environmental quality. I don't think they are the ones that even make the determination. DMV seems to. I've sent a bunch of requests to DMV for all their guidance documents for determining what constitutes a clean fuel vehicles and I've gotten the run around. Under the administrative procedures act of VA they are required to provide these documents so its really a bunch of BS.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Well, maybe if we keep writing DMV like Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) in The Shawshank Redemption, DMV will get tired of hearing from us and give us the documents we want.