TDI down Any help really appreciated!

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI down Any help really appreciated! - Solved Thank you

On my way home today I turned down my highway 1/4 mile from home. When the car shifted into 3 I noticed a definite loss of power could hardly accelerate, pedal input didn't seem to make much difference. when it shifted into 4rth /5th it felt normal again.
Got to my driveway and the car's idle was definitely not it's usual, he engine was a tiny bit rougher and there was something I'd describe as lifter tick on my old v8's.
Pulled into the garage and it was noticeable something was wrong. I stopped the car. Looked around didn't see anything obvious. Now it won't start. No cough no sputter nothing.
It cranks and turns over makes it's usual noise won't won't fire. When I release the key I can hear a buzzing sound (I think it's the starter solenoid) which stops when I pull the key out.
Timing belt changed maybe 80 000km ago so it should still have life in it.
No recent changes. New in tank lift pump and one fuel line maybe end of 2018.
filter and oil change last month (including air and fuel filter) No real issues I noticed drove fine.
I did just fill up but from the same station I always do, it's a country station and diesel is popular so is regularly changed, tank passes the diesel sniff test.
I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. There is a code in the computer but it's for a bad O2 sensor (It's been bad over a year but I don't think that's it)
I have VCDS if it helps but I'm not sure what I'm scannign for. I'm off to hook it up now.
Thanks in advance for reading I appreciate this community alot!
Edit: Duh.... It's a 2004 TDI wagon

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
How many miles are on it? Check the cam lately? Start with the simple stuff. Is your ASV stuck shut?

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
171000miles (276000km)

I'll go check the asv right now

Have not looked at the cam maybe thats where ill start this weekend.

I'm pulling the top timing belt cover right now to make sure the timing belt still lives...

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Well thanks for the help brother... Timing belt

Guess my 100 000miles timing belt was really a 80 000km timing belt... It has obvious missing teeth, must of jumped timing. Pictures incoming for documentation purposes (aka others)

I bought it from Diesel Geek I think:( Can't blame them I think it's a Gates brand belt which are normally pretty good. Must be my fault somehow.

Hopefully nothing kissed each other and a new belt will get me going again... GUUUUH car was almost paid off :)

Time to put the civic back in service until I can get parts (*shudders* hates the civic + It's buried in about 3 ft of snow still)

Last edited:

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh that looks like a minor problem there's one tooth missing... Blah no big deal this can't be it

OHHHH CRAP!

Ya there's your problem

So who makes the best timing belt (kit)? Will replace that first and see what the overall damage is I guess. Or is there a way to tell if I kissed my valves without tearing it all apart?

Futher inspection... I think the Water Pump is weeping there is some pink in there.... So that explains that.

This means it's time for a new Turbo too right? (Tell my wife yes) :D

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Most of the time that's going to require some valve/lifter replacement and head work. I wouldn't just do a new TB kit w/o first doing some very careful forensics to determine extent of damages.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Before you remove the belt put the lock tools in place if they will go, just to see if it did indeed slip time. It probably has but as a couple of members who work on these cars regularly, point out. Sometimes it looks bad but hasn’t moved. However most likely your belt has moved and you’ll need to fix the head or source a new engine.

Here’s my experience with my 05.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok Thank you! I'm probably just going to get rid of it and get a newer one, It's on the line of having too much rust to be worth it. The Dieselgate Golf wagons are going pretty cheap around here now (10k canadian so like 13$ american) maybe I'll just get one of those. Too bad because I love this car.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What jarhead said. It'll sell better if you put it right. May not be much. If the tick turns out to be in the valve train, maybe give up.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to not diagnose it... Find someone who'll sell me a head with a new cam and a bigger turbo and injectors already attached. That's what I really want :)

The tick is was very reminiscent of a collapsed hydraulic lifter on my old dodges so I'm pretty sure there is damage:)

I dug out the civic form the snow bank (always have a backup car) and moved the TDI into the shop. I'll pull the valve cover and check what was suggested in a couple weeks... I mostly want to go fishing this weekend and I'm mad at the Jetta so it (I) needs a cool down period :)