TDI CPO warranty no longer unlimited miles

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Noticed that VW changed the CPO warranty terms for diesels after the 2021 new year. Looks like only two years/24k miles now. Unlimited miles has been dropped from the CPO warranty on TDI vehicles.

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Makes a TDI less attractive as a CPO. If you buy the TDI your probably going to pile on the miles. The two years won’t mean anything if it’s only 24k miles.

Still have dieselgate warranty, but lots of other little things that CPO covered will no longer be covered.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Edited for accuracy...

Given how much the emissions warranty covers (and the $50 per item deductible under the CPO), I wouldn't worry much about it.

Last edited:

moon1234

TDI
It actually made quite a difference. Things like heater cores are not included in the dieselgate warranty warranty and they are expensive to fix. Electronics like cabin heaters, seat heaters, electronic climate control, radio, etc. none of that is covered unless it sets a cel code, which they usually do not. They are also expensive to fix.

that is one website that still has the previous 2 years/unlimited miles language on 2016 and earlier cpo TDI vehicles. This appears to have changed in 2021.

I put about 40k miles on per year. So the two year unlimited miles was important. Without it my warranty would have been about 7 months. I have had more than 4K dollars of repairs done that needed the cpo warranty. Would Not have been covered by dieselgate warranty.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry- didn't realize it was the Passat forum. I know they have had more issues than others. It sounds like it was super useful in your situation, and that's awesome, but most people don't put on 40,000 miles a year (especially right now)- and most owners don't have all those things fail during the exact delta created by the differences between their own 2/24 and 2/other. Maybe I'm just too anti-dealer, but it's hard to stomach giving them $50 per item when I know they are likely to boggle it. I'm glad you were able to save a lot of $, but I would never dissuade someone based on the CPO change- would you? I'd dissuade them for some other reasons, depedning on the situation.

moon1234

TDI
TDI vehicles, in my view, are best suited to people who pile on miles. Short trips and city driving are better served by hybrid or electric power trains due to fuel economy and the nature of emissions on diesels.

that being the case the unlimited mile warranty made a LOT of sense to me. It was one of the main deciding factors to pick a VW. Honda and Toyota offer longer cpo warranties now than VW and arguably have a much better reliability track record when the miles pile on.

I was never very concerned about the engine on a VW. I drive a manual as well so I was not too concerned about the transmission either. What scares me is electric and electronic gremlins. These are usually expensive in both parts and labor. I have owned 12 vehicles since I started driving. Three brand new vehicles and the rest used. All of the issues that needed fixing all occurred within two years ofpurchase but did NOT show up within 24k miles. Most showed up after 50-75k miles.

The dieselgate warranty is fine for power train, but do you have a wife and daughters who will complain when the radio, temperature controls, etc. stop working? Many of the TDIs sat for years in less than ideal conditions. Having two years to shake out issues without worrying about miles is a hell of a good deal.

I guess VW has sold all of the TDIs they bought back so the inducement in the form of the generous CPO warranty is no longer needed to get dealers to buy this inventory.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think your evaluation is fair- it's just that I don't trust the dealer for the vast majority of those fixes. Since transisitoning from gasser VWs to diesel VWs with my '03 Golf (which I still have), I have only been to the dealer twice. The first was with the Golf, where some minor issue covered under warranty was "solved" by them throwing parts at it. When I questioned the additional $15 on my bill, they explained it was a "fuel conditioning" service. I slowly and carefully made them explain it, and then had them ensure me I wasn't paying for something that wasn't done. After that, I told them it was a diesel. The service manager first went pale, then stared at me for thirty seconds, then excused herself to "go check on something." When she returned, she explained she had the wrong car, and took the "service" off the bill. I didn't go to a dealer from 2003 until 2019, when my Mk7 had to get a new DPF. That took three trips, with a nightmare of me explaining things to them. They had one guy who knew TDIs, and he wasn't always available. That's it. I've done most of the minor recalls myself, and anything else goes to a guru because I know they won't screw it up. VW techs leave scratches, tear up interiors, replace random parts, and generally leave things worse then when they started. All that being said, our Mk7's haven't really had any issues (DPF aside), and I'm actually a little impressed with how much better VW has gotten with electrical gremlins, which for decades were a routine part of the joy of owning a VW. Of course, I like working on these cars, so that certainly makes a difference, too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
for a +5 year old car, VW would be ridiculous to do anything CPO related to these last gen TDIs

Last edited:

moon1234

TDI
@740GLE
How So? The only thing they changed was the unlimited miles to 24k miles. Remember that the stop sale prevented NEW vehicles from being sold as well. It wasn't until 2017 that the BRAND NEW vehicles could be sold. The big draw to the diesel CPO was the unlimited miles. Without it their isn't as much of an incentive to buy from a dealer at a markup. The Dieselgate warranty runs for 162k miles from date of in service. Covers everything that fuel touches from tank to tail pipe. Also includes anything that sets a check engine light. The CPO covered "everything else." The everything else is the electronic gremlins.

It is most likely gone due to VW selling all of the bought back cars. No need to offer that incentive anymore to get dealers to buy these vehicles. That's all I can think of.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Right, but the financial risk of VW slapping a CPO on these TDIs can't be profitable for them. They'd much rather push CPO cars 1-2 years old, lots more meat on the bones for them.

Sure VW sold NOS as "brand new" in 2017 but everyone in the world doesn't see the car the as only being 3+ years old, it's still a 5-6 year old car, it just sat for 2 years (probably did more harm in those two years sitting, than if someone drove it). By the bean counters a 5-6 year old car is halfway through it's usable life and almost on it's way to the crusher.

We just view them a lot different than the rest of public, mainly due to something wrong in our heads.