TDI BuyBack....is the 1.8T a dog?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...Does your Toyota system also use braking to maintain speed when going down steep hills, particularly hills that downshifting alone is not enough to hold? I use Tiptronic mode to downshift, but often that isn't enough. The Subaru system will brake if necessary, and I like that.
No road trips planned for awhile, and not enough long hills in the DFW area to try. Sorry!

hudsonian

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Highline TDI
Has anyone driven both the V6 and 1.8T Passat.

I am thinking if and when they get a resolution announced in Canada I will move to the gasser. I will stay with a Passat as I have my winter wheels and tires, weather tech mats, VCDS etc.

My mileage has reduced a lot and I only drive 24km a day so I am not that bothered on mpg.... I would love to know people's feedback on V6 vs. 1.8T Passat.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Has anyone driven both the V6 and 1.8T Passat.
I am thinking if and when they get a resolution announced in Canada I will move to the gasser. I will stay with a Passat as I have my winter wheels and tires, weather tech mats, VCDS etc.
My mileage has reduced a lot and I only drive 24km a day so I am not that bothered on mpg.... I would love to know people's feedback on V6 vs. 1.8T Passat.
I think the mileage hit will be significant, but the big thing for me is how much that VR6 will change the weight distribution. Already more than enough weight forward in these FWD cars.....

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
I now have a 2016 1.8t that is replacing my 2014 manual. The only thing I'm missing is the torque and range for the TDI.

Having an auto again is actually nice, and the 1.8 really scoots when the turbo kicks in at higher revs.

I can't comment on MPG because getting a full tank has been a pain in the ass, but I'm seeing 500 miles in range and the cost per mile is a little lower then my TDI.

*Don't look at the fuelly mpg because it's not accurate since I've been recording all fill ups as partial.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I drove a loaner brand new tsi passat about a month ago. It seemed quick enough but I really prefer the diesel torque and RANGE. The adaptive cruise control was not to my liking. Twice it stabbed the brakes. Once when the motorcycle in front of me turned right out of my path I looped to the left around it and the passat automatically braked pretty hard. This was with another car behind me and traffic all around and could have caused an accident. The second time later on the same day; back road with one car turning left out of my path the car stabbed the brake again since "it" couldn't anticipate that the path was clearing. I like the ACC concept but the way people tailgate these days I think there is gonna be trouble.....

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
^ACC was an option on a car that I just bought and I elected to not get it. I just feel like it's got the potential to make people pay less attention and that is not good.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I now have a 2016 1.8t that is replacing my 2014 manual. The only thing I'm missing is the torque and range for the TDI.

I can't comment on MPG because getting a full tank has been a pain in the ass, but I'm seeing 500 miles in range and the cost per mile is a little lower then my TDI.

*Don't look at the fuelly mpg because it's not accurate since I've been recording all fill ups as partial.

Your Fuelly numbers - admittedly inaccurate - are impressive 'woods'.............

How about quantifying your best ever MPG - almost 51 - with more accurate data.

All the world wonders - your 1.8 turbo 4 - with a 5M- in a GSW shares my short list with a Mazda 3 6M 2.0 gas. I'd prefer the GSW (no need to relearn cockpit).

all the best, ez

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I've opted to replace my 2013 TDI with a 2016 1.8T. Haven't driven it yet but the year end pricing was too good to pass up.

Sheehy (linked earlier in the thread) plays games with their pricing ($500 trade in credit, must take their financing at triple the rate of my bank..) but the DC area does have competitive pricing.

Mine ended up being stickered at $30,880. Price came in at $23,850 minus the $1500 cash back for Labor Day. Buy back is $21,500 so basically I'm out about a $1000 plus the taxes, freight, and doc fee. Out the door at $25K. $3500 out of pocket.

This is the 1.8T SE with technology package with the headlight upgrade. Significantly more features than my TDI (sunroof, nav, collision avoidance, backup camera, heated rear seats, modern audio system, KESSY, ...) for just a little more money. So I pulled the trigger.

Will probably park the new one until the buybacks in November and drive the TDI in the meantime.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Your Fuelly numbers - admittedly inaccurate - are impressive 'woods'.............
How about quantifying your best ever MPG - almost 51 - with more accurate data.
With the TDI I was able to fill up to the top of the filler so recording MPG was fairly trivial. My best tank was a result of perfect conditions and I never was able to do it twice.

The 1.8t has yet to see a truly full tank because when the pump turns off at the first click the tank usually reads 1 hash below full. I haven't tried filling to the top of the filler because of the vapor emissions crap up there.

If you look at my notes on fuelly the number there is the average MPG from the dash.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So the Passat SE 1.8T is averaging 10-15 MPG less than a comparable diesel Passat. Several people at this past weekend's TDIFest drove Passats there, and the ones I talked to got between 45 and 48 MPG on the trip, driving 75 or faster. Seems that the TDI is providing better than the typical 30% bump you'd expect over gasoline. However, the 1.8Ts are still new, they might get better with time.

Interesting note: my 2,560 mile trip to the Fest and back this past weekend required filling my '02 wagon 3 times. But I had driven 500 miles on the tank I started the trip with. Regardless, a GSW 1.8T at 35 MPG would have taken 6 fillups to make the same trip. Given the lines at the service area pumps in Ohio and New York today that would have been an unpleasant experience.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
For everyone talking about the 1.8s lack for power. Lets be honest you're comparing it to a turbo diesel that makes almost 240ft lbs of torque at 2k rpm.

While i would never buy a big car like a passat with a weak gasser how does it compare to.others in it's class.

I think alot of people arw going to regret the buy back.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
So the Passat SE 1.8T is averaging 10-15 MPG less than a comparable diesel Passat. Several people at this past weekend's TDIFest drove Passats there, and the ones I talked to got between 45 and 48 MPG on the trip, driving 75 or faster. Seems that the TDI is providing better than the typical 30% bump you'd expect over gasoline. However, the 1.8Ts are still new, they might get better with time.
Yeah, I'm seeing around 35 MPG on my 45-mile commute with 1/2 of that at speeds usually around 75.

For everyone talking about the 1.8s lack for power. Lets be honest you're comparing it to a turbo diesel that makes almost 240ft lbs of torque at 2k rpm.
While i would never buy a big car like a passat with a weak gasser how does it compare to.others in it's class.
Minus the low-end torque and range I can say the 1.8T is just fine in the Passat. To be honest I'm actually over being a TDI owner. Higher service rates, more expensive fuel (in my area) have completely negated and savings obtained from the higher MPG. Having the 1.8T I can now actually "Drive more, worry less". ;)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
I have had regrets since last September; this, however, doesn't change the facts. The settlement is going to let us drive the '13 Passat we bought new for 5 1/2 years and then give us a few thousand less than we paid for it. This is too good a deal to resist.
The problem of getting into something comparable to the Passat with its fuel efficiency and driving characteristics seems insoluble. As another contributor to this forum stated, these things are "automotive unicorns." They never should have existed in the first place. So— back to reality.
Staying with a diesel for us will probably mean a BMW 5-series or Audi A6 CPO car, both probably very hard to find. The alternatives in new cars are not particularly attractive, but a gas 1.8 TSI Passat is a possibility if VW has outrageous deals when we turn our current car in. Other than than, maybe a Honda Accord. This is all still two years off, and a little hard to take seriously at the moment.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
ACC has a lot of potential. Ford recalled a bunch of F150's, the ACC was having problems with shiny sided vehicles, like big trucks and buses, and it would kick in. A fellow with a Jeep with ACC, lost a front sensor to a rock, $2200 fix. Lost it again when parking into a snowbank, another $2200.

Don

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I have another TSI Passat loaner. It is fairly quick and the computer says it's getting 35 mpg. I still prefer my tdi passat though. I don't think the TSI will fill the bill for me

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta

It compares like dog crap with the gasser. Thr accord with the v6 is a much better option at that point. Both in mpg and power. I'm not even a Honda fan, so that statement doesn't come lightly

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It compares like dog crap with the gasser. Thr accord with the v6 is a much better option at that point. Both in mpg and power. I'm not even a Honda fan, so that statement doesn't come lightly

The Passat is also available with a V6, and its extra 100 cc displacement over the Accord gives it a wee more power on paper, but when you drive one it feels much stronger. Germans often under rate the output of their engines, however. So its published 280hp may actually be closer to 300.

The Accord still wins in the transmission regard, though, as those can still be gotten with a manual. And the V6+manual Accord is a hoot to drive even if the car itself is not anything special.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The Passat is also available with a V6, and its extra 100 cc displacement over the Accord gives it a wee more power on paper, but when you drive one it feels much stronger. Germans often under rate the output of their engines, however. So its published 280hp may actually be closer to 300.

The Accord still wins in the transmission regard, though, as those can still be gotten with a manual. And the V6+manual Accord is a hoot to drive even if the car itself is not anything special.
Haven't driven the v6 passat to the passats defense

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
So I picked up my new 1.8T and drove it over 500 miles home from the dealer.

Some quick impressions.

37 MPG on the way home driving fairly conservatively. Very good in my opinion. Although it does lack the punch of the TDI torque, it never seemed to lack for acceleration. Plenty fast in my opinion. Gas engine is more refined and quieter than the 2.0 TDI, not unexpected but it is nice. I really noticed how quiet it was pulling into the garage.

On Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), I think its fantastic but you have to recognize its limitations. You can't use it to decelerate to a full stop. It would be great if it worked that way but it doesn't. It has three settings (ECO, Normal, and Sport). Seems to only affect how quickly it accelerates back up to your cruise setting. ECO was too tame for me. I liked sport the best. I generally used the closest possible following distance, and after finding the setting to make it default to the previous range (as opposed to some middle distance), it seemed to fit my driving style. It is close but not too close for comfort. Generally, I thought it was well behaved. Accelerated nicely with an open road. Slowed gradually when appropriate and got on the brakes when necessary. I would not use it on side streets though (and I tried it). More for highway use only. I would imagine some of the competing systems are useful all the way down to stop and go driving. That would be awesome but this isn't it. For what it is, I like it.

I haven't gotten any audible warnings from the forward collision sensor, although it does show a warning in the center display when it thinks I'm following too closely for the speed I'm at. Would be interested in others perception of this feature but so far, I haven't really used it (thankfully).

The blind spot monitoring system works reasonably well but seems to only give a warning when someone is entering your blind spot from behind. It doesn't light up when you're passing someone and the car is in your passenger side blind spot. Odd.

I liked the new Apple/Android/Carplay stuff. Nice. Overall I will be satisfied with the 1.8T. but I'll still drive the TDI until I hand it to them for the buyback.