TDI ATV's.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I could be going in way over my head, but i have been really curious about how this is done. i have seen a few videos where someone will turn a vw diesel engine into a off-roading atv. How is this done? far as i can tell they don't have a ton of electrical, and they are still running a turbo. do they have all the previous electronics and computer? or is this like a M-tdi? I think they are very neat, but do not quite understand how they make these motors work in a atv like this. videos posted for watching 🙂.
4x4 1.9TD atv. i would love to build one something like this someday
these are ones really neat as well

They are both really neat and are most likely built similar ways. Other than from a weight standpoint i think they would be very neat to drive and have fun with. the weight i could see being a problem in heavy mud/clay off-roading conditions, but if they were given big and wide enough tires it would probably float fairly well in clay, and not get stuck especially being all time 4x4 (the first one is). the second one is selectable 4x4.

Renxx

TDI
1.9MTDI
I am owner of the ''first one'' atv. An yes it is M-tdi! Thank you for watching my videos!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am owner of the ''first one'' atv. An yes it is M-tdi! Thank you for watching my videos!
your on here!! no way LOL. How long did the build take, and would you consider it a difficult build? Is it possible to not do a m-tdi, and just leave it as before and cut unneeded wiring out of the system? of course you would have to waterproof some of those electronics then, but otherwise. very neat looking atv, and I'm sure it's lots of fun.

thank you!

Last edited:

Renxx

TDI
1.9MTDI
Building take total of about six months (with lots of breaks), the most difficult was to fit in factory atvs dimensions. Of course it's possible to leave all TDI stuff, perhaps some work with throttle system needed

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Building take total of about six months (with lots of breaks), the most difficult was to fit in factory atvs dimensions. Of course it's possible to leave all TDI stuff, perhaps some work with throttle system needed
ok, ya i can see the dimension part being hard. I think i would maybe try doing a class II atv so that i can have a wider wheel base, and have 2 seats. then i could also make it street legal (supposedly). It would also be easier (I would think) to fit the electronics into, and have more room to work with for a first build. I do really like the maneuverability of the class 1 atv's though, and for what i do it would probably be a bit easier to use.
I think you did a very good job, the performance and style of the atv looks great!!