Tdi Alternator Question

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Hey all,

I've recently began to refurb a neglected tdi wagon. Upon getting the vehicle running again, I've stumbled on a few charging issues with the vehicles alternator.

The alt currently installed is in a sad sad state. It had/has been exposed to copious amounts of oil and sludge. I also might have exacerbated the issue when I degreased and degunked the engine. I did have it covered with a bag, but it wasn't water tight. When I was finished, I took the bag off and saw a little bit of moisture throughout. I blew it out heavily with compressed air and continued on.

When I started the car for the first time, I left it run for approx 45-60 seconds, then shut it off. I heard the battery cooking off after the car was shutdown. I started the car back up and checked output at the battery for a brief moment, which it was 17.5-17.8 throughout the rpm range.

I shut it down, double checked all of my connections. Cleaned everything with a wire brush and tried again. This time, it was still churning 17.5-.8 but my partner said I lost the instrument cluster and any readings from the engine. I checked the battery again, while the vehicle was running, and it stayed at a 12.3-12.6 throughout the rpm range. I let it idle and about a minute later, I got my instrument cluster back, but the battery stayed at a no-charge state. The battery is a newer interstate, which was fully charged with a trickle charger and tested great.

Currently I get nothing from th alternator. Does this sound like typical regulator going/went out or a bigger problem?

Second question, is I picked up a used 120a Bosch alt off of another car for relatively cheap. Could I get away with simply swapping the regulators on the back of the alt, or should I change the entire unit? How robust are the internals of this alt? I've never had an issue with any of my other tdi's so I'm just learning at the moment.

Thanks,
Smalls

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep! The Voltage Regulator is shot.

The little plastic cover has only two screws and a very flimsy and small gasket. The air pressure probably forced water inside. Under a down pour of rain while driving, it will fair just fine. Add a pressure washer or compressed air, and it will not protect the delicate tiny board inside.

So, that whole assembly comes out fairly easy which contains the brushes. You can replace it all as a unit!.............. a Bosch unit can be had for under $40.00.

Been there and done it ................. You can put some sealer around the perimeter of the little cover on the new one for added protection.

EDIT: I meant to say, losing the instrument gauges is a protection to not burn them up. Been there and seen that too!

Last edited:

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Yep! The Voltage Regulator is shot.

The little plastic cover has only two screws and a very flimsy and small gasket. The air pressure probably forced water inside. Under a down pour of rain while driving, it will fair just fine. Add a pressure washer or compressed air, and it will not protect the delicate tiny board inside.

So, that whole assembly comes out fairly easy which contains the brushes. You can replace it all as a unit!.............. a Bosch unit can be had for under $40.00.

Been there and done it ................. You can put some sealer around the perimeter of the little cover on the new one for added protection.
Sweet.

Thank you sir! That answers my question. I'll swap the regulator on the car with the one I have here on the bench.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Regulator fixed it.

She's now charging a solid 14.2.

The one I took off the car was defenately not Bosch. It had a PLASTIC heat sink on the back. Yes, plastic.

Thanks AndyBees for the tips. It was a pain in the butt in th car, but I've done worse.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
mine did the same thing, 18v at battery, cooked the battery and shut down the dash. This was why I got my tdi for free.

I replaced the alternator entirely and battery, no probs since over 1200 miles on it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, it's a much easier job to install a regulator/brush set with the ALT off ...but, it is also a challenge to remove and replace the ALT.

When the ALT charges over 17 volts, the gauges in the Cluster will fall to zero. Re-start the engine and they will pop back up.... but, rev the engine a bit, and they will drop to zero again. ....... and, it doesn't take long to start the cooking process of the battery!

Glad you were able to fix it ...