TDI alternatives

vwDave

TDI
2010 Sportwagon TDI
If I decide to sell back my TDI, what is a good alternative vehicle. I currently own a 2010 Jetta sportwagen, 6 speed manual and I love the cargo room I have
Any suggestions?

vwDave

TDI
2010 Sportwagon TDI
I should have mentioned that I load and unload equipment in the back of car a lot so I would need a wagon or hatchback, a sedans trunk wouldn't work, that would leave out the Cruze, although I think it's too small anyway

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
They are going to be putting out the Cruze in a hatchback model in 2017. It's unknown how long it will tae them to offer it in a hatchback version of their new diesel or if a stick will be offered. The size seems to be smaller than a GSW but at least it's a hatch.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I should have mentioned that I load and unload equipment in the back of car a lot so I would need a wagon or hatchback, a sedans trunk wouldn't work, that would leave out the Cruze, although I think it's too small anyway
New and in a similar price range? Ford Transit Connect or Subaru Outback. For the money...I think that Transit Connect would be a handy vehicle.

If you don't mind "stepping up" price wise...there's Volvo. They've always made a nice wagon.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Base and Premium trim Forester is available with manual trans. Not the TDI torque, FE, or tank range as the JSW TDI, but very good utility + AWD.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Unfortunately, every site I've checked says the Volvo V60 has about 44 cubic feet of cargo room with the back seats down. The JSW/GSW has about 66.

If anyone knows that the websites are wrong, I'd appreciate a link to the correct information.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Unfortunately, every site I've checked says the Volvo V60 has about 44 cubic feet of cargo room with the back seats down. The JSW/GSW has about 66.

If anyone knows that the websites are wrong, I'd appreciate a link to the correct information.
I think it has more to do with how each manufacturer measures things, since that's ultimately where those numbers originate. I am out of town at the moment and only have the Volvo with me - otherwise I would find some empty boxes (used to help gauge how well stuff fits) and take some pictures with both cars.

My own sense of it is that the cargo capacity is pretty comparable in the two cars.

I found a measuring tape and measured the cargo area in the Volvo. The rear hatch opening size varies a little bit - the width runs from 39 to 43 inches wide. The maximum height is 26 inches. This doesn't affect the capacity of course, but if what you want to carry won't fit in the door the rest is irrelevant.

On the interior, with the rear seats down, the interior distance from the hatch latch to the front seat runs about 67", but keep in mind that I am tall, and I keep the drivers seat way back. If I were inclined to try and get the absolute maximum out of it, I could probably put the front seat up another 6 inches or so. At the top of the hatch it is going to be less than this of due to the way the hatch door slopes back. I can try and measure that as well.

The height in the interior from the base to the roof liner runs around 30 inches. Some places might be a bit more - that's probably the minimum.

The width varies as well, of course. I see a minimum width of about 45 inches in the cargo area. It gets a bit wider in the passenger area - up to about 53 inches.

I didn't try measuring the footwells - those have got to be roughly comparable between the two cars, and the space is going to depend a lot on how far back the front sets are.

Last edited: