tdi alh slow cranking,

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I kinda like orielleys starters
you only buy one and they're so crappy you can trade in a different one every couple weeks and they won't even look at you funny
granted you do end up going through 2-3 of them before finding one that works for a little while
I went this route and the first one worked great in my first beetle, but in my 2nd beetle it got soooo irritating trying to change them out after the 3rd-4th R&R (tho i can do it really fast now). That paired with it failing and making me borrowing a vehicle just doesn't sit well with me. Especially since a lot of times im way down in the city's or way up north, and i wouldn't want to call a tow truck to drive it home.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Like others have suggested id take serp belt off and check the pulleys, then get a cheapo starter and try and see where that leaves you....you can always return the cheap starter.

zipp

TDI
2006 golf tdi bew, 2014 jetta tdi
Not trying to be funny here, but did you also jump the starter solenoid from the battery terminal to the small exciter wire when you did this, or did you try starting with the ignition still?
Tried with ignition & even tried with a screwdriver jumping it like you said

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm still going with too much turning resistance somewhere, whether the timing belt idlers or a belt driven component.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hook to the positive of the starter and Ned to the block. There's a activate wore off the starter put to positive.. pull your serp belt off. If it spins slow either your starter is weak or something in your motor is binding.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Could be the solenoid.
If it is a post will get hot,..
but I can't get him to feel the cable ends after cranking it for awhile.