tdi 170 bmn exhaust noise ?

kilner

Veteran Member
TDI
golf gt tdi sport ppd170
ok i hav a vw golf tdi 170 it has a straigh thru exhaust

at idle ther is a very crapy exhaust sound like a panting dog

if i give the throtle a very very slight blip so it dosent even raise the engine rpm i get a very meaty burble from the exhaust for around 5 seconds then it changes tone back to the panting sound

is ther a flap or a valve in the turbo manifold that is opening or closing or is it teh vaine in the turbo

if some one could explain that would be amazing

thanks

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Sounds like you don't have any vacuum to your VNT. Could be many things, bad vacuum lines, n75, etc.
This is what mine sounds a little like, but on purpose(via tune)

kilner

Veteran Member
TDI
golf gt tdi sport ppd170
im just wondering how i can get it to sound nice at idle like wen i blip the throtle sounds awsome but then it stops and starts the rly crapy sounding panting noise

i think most of them make this noise but just trying to figure out why it changes noise

i shall check to see if the linkage moves wen i blip the throtle if it does and then the nice sound starts its just the turbo opening up ?

kilner

Veteran Member
TDI
golf gt tdi sport ppd170
checked the linkage and wen i blip the throtle it moves and this is wen it makes the nice meaty exhaust note i take it its opening somthing in the turbo is ther any way to make it sound like this all the time without effecting the turbo or is it somthing i just hav to live with thanks

kilner

Veteran Member
TDI
golf gt tdi sport ppd170
i hav been looking into it and found sum1 saying this

most people set the vane position to 40 or lower in the 600-800rpm range to get rid of the hiss at idle and make it sound like an LB7. And that percentage is how much they are closed, 88 percent closed at idle is what you are seeing. As it revs up it should open to allow more airflow leading to the 60 and 50 percent target vane position values

would you be able to do this on my car ? will it effect performance or reliabilty