TCM or TCU compatability

96Brian

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon
Does anyone know if Transmission Control (Module/Unit) 3B0 927 156 CF and 3B0 927 156 AP are compatible? I have to replace a "CF" and have found an "AP". Any real difference between these?

Thanks,
Limping Brian

Olympia WA

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I'm sure you will score a "CF" on this site, many members have installed 5 or 6 speed manuals when the auto fails. As I know it "AD" up to 04 1/2 and "CF" 04 1/2 on. I've used a "AD" in my 05.

Last edited:

SeaBlood

TDI
2005 Passat sedan
Did you find one. My 3B0 927 156 CF tcm has been sitting on my desk since Feb when I had my swap done.

BLM

TDI
2005 Passatt GLS, black
Found this thread after being gone for a while - I also have need for a 3B0-927-156 CF power train control module for a 2005 VW Passat TDI.

BLM

TDI
2005 Passatt GLS, black
Shout out to Afarfalla - had TCM issues with my 05 Passatt. He passed on some great tips and supplied me with a “CF” TCM for my TDI. Car is up and running again and good for several more years.(y)

Rkbashore

TDI
2005 Passat
So I got a 2005 Passat TDI, and my vehicle goes into limp mode almost every time I go into reverse. After it goes into limp mode, I must turn my car off them back on to reset it, it will then usually go into drive with no issues, but sometimes I must do the process again so it will not be in limp mode while in drive. I purchased what I thought was a replacement TCM on eBay but that one actually made it worse, it went into limp mode every time, so I sent it back for a refund. The part # on the one I have now is 3B0 927 156 CF. Does anyone know where I can purchase one from? I appreciate any help I can get.
Thank
Rick

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So I got a 2005 Passat TDI, and my vehicle goes into limp mode almost every time I go into reverse. After it goes into limp mode, I must turn my car off them back on to reset it, it will then usually go into drive with no issues, but sometimes I must do the process again so it will not be in limp mode while in drive. I purchased what I thought was a replacement TCM on eBay but that one actually made it worse, it went into limp mode every time, so I sent it back for a refund. The part # on the one I have now is 3B0 927 156 CF. Does anyone know where I can purchase one from? I appreciate any help I can get.
Thank
Rick
It may help to start your own thread for your specific issue. What makes you think it's the TCM that's at fault? With these tcms you have to get one that's for the correct transmission, so for the TDI, you need one from a TDI car. I've got an extra TCM, but I would hate for you to get it and it still not fix your problem if the TCM isn't your problem.

Rkbashore

TDI
2005 Passat
I will give more descriptive info next time. When I put the car in reverse, the vehicle goes in gear really hard, and it makes a loud noise instead of going into gear smoothly; also, the gear indicator on the dashboard lights up all the gears instead of the individual gear that it is in. When I put the vehicle in drive, the car seems to be stuck in high gear, the acceleration is extremely slow, and it does not shift into any other gear.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I will give more descriptive info next time. When I put the car in reverse, the vehicle goes in gear really hard, and it makes a loud noise instead of going into gear smoothly; also, the gear indicator on the dashboard lights up all the gears instead of the individual gear that it is in. When I put the vehicle in drive, the car seems to be stuck in high gear, the acceleration is extremely slow, and it does not shift into any other gear.
Ok, so it sounds like it's in limp mode. Do you have vcds?

adi888

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon
I need one of these TCMs for my 2005 Passat: 3B0 927 156 CF. Anyone have a good one they can sell me?

FYI, my symptoms are:
- delayed, hard shifting into reverse first time after starting engine
- code 18158: voltage too low
- code 17090: Transmission Range Sensor
- check engine light comes on after a while; clearing codes works for a while, comes back eventually

Seems to be a slowly failing TCM.