Talk TDI?

cdscar

TDI
03 Jetta 1.9TDI, 99 NB 1.9TDI
Hey guys would like to know if anyone would like to meet up and talk tdi with me. I have two cars and know they both need some help and was just wondering if anyone would like to meet up and give me a littlew info to help me get started in the right direction. Thanks

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Alabama where?
or just search for your problem here, I am sure it has been covered ad nauseum here.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Like Kook said, Where in Alabama? edit- reading your other posts it looks like Butler AL

I'm over in the Northeast (gadsden / anniston area) and would be happy to talk TDI's with you although my knowledge is limited. I have read a lot on here, however, and can help try to point you in the right direction.

Also like Kook said, what's the nature of your problem?

Fill out your signature so we know what kind of cars you have, It helps the answers you recieve here be correct for your model.

Lastly, welcome to the club!

Last edited:

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
KA,
My job takes me to Eastaboga from time to time - maybe we could gang up on the new guy? ;)

cd - welcome aboard and like they say - read - read - read. The search bar "IS" your friend.:rolleyes:

Jerry T

cdscar

TDI
Hey guys I am located in Butler which is 2 hours away from anywhere. Don't mind going anywhere to meet up though. No serious problems yet. I have been reading up on the cars as I get the chance. Just got a Jetta a few months ago and am having a slight clutch issue. It catches right at the top and just does not feel right. Also it seems to be lacking power. I know I have to clean the intake but feel there is something else wrong there in the power department going off my experience with the bug I have. I would just like to meet up with someone and just talk about the cars and learn a little more. The Jetta has 106K miles. Any suggestions on what to do for now would be appreciated. Thanks

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
first guess would be the MAF sensor. if you have a way to clear CEL try to unplug your MAF and see if helps with the power. that is the most common lack of power problem with the TDI.

DannyRay

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
cdscar, you are in the back side of nowhere, well Meridian MS is sorta close. I second the MAF comment, it is where your airbox hose goes toward your engine. Just unplug it from the hose and try to drive and see if it performs better. Order one from one of the vendors here and replace it, easy job. I am thinking you may need a clutch, research a good one...I would meet with you if you make it to north alabama sometime...

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
If you get over your head and need a shop I can reccommend the shop in birmingham on the trusted mechanics list (I know it's a long drive, I drive 1 1/2 hours from the other direction to get there.)

cdscar

TDI
Thanks guys I have been wondering about the Maf. I know that the car has a k&n filter(in when I bought the car). So it is probably bad. Check it out when I hit land. But the root of my problem does seem to be the clutch. Have not seen any signs of slipping but it doesn't feel right. I mean I have a bug with twice the mileage and a much better feeling clutch. Could anyone point me in the right direction. I have read on here several times but seems like no one has really said what may be the best to go with.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
K&N=Dead MAF

get it outta there and install OE paper filter,and while you are in that area,check you snow screen

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The only thing that makes this difficult is the fact that it is a little busy where you are doing this; it is hard to see what you are doing sometimes.

Take off the large hose from your air filter to the intake line that loops around to the turbo. This is so you can see a bit. You can see even more if you take out the air filter box and battery, but it is not necessary.

Then find the small slave cylinder vent nipple on top of the transmission, usually partly obsured by the shifting linkage. It sometimes helps to shift gears to improve access or visibility.

[/IMG]

Ensure your brake fluid reservoir is at a high level. The clutch comes off at just about the middle of the reservoir, so if level gets low, you will suck air in.

You have someone step on and hold the clutch and crack the vent. Then close the vent, let up on the clutch, and repeat. Make sure the reservoir does not get too low.

Dan