Takata airbag recall

Ms9603

TDI
2012 Golf 2door
I saw my car is listed under the Takata airbag recall and confirmed with the VW dealership. The dealership claims that the affected airbags are only from Mexican made Takata airbags and allegedly all of VW's airbags are German made. Parts are expected to be available by January, if the company is not bankrupt by then. The lady I spoke with said, "you SHOULD be good." I don't like putting my life at risk for a "should." Does anyone know any specifics about this? Thanks!

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I got my official letter from VW yesterday. My car is affected and there is no recall fix/repair at the moment.

They will send another letter when the fix is in.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I saw my car is listed under the Takata airbag recall and confirmed with the VW dealership. The dealership claims that the affected airbags are only from Mexican made Takata airbags and allegedly all of VW's airbags are German made. Parts are expected to be available by January, if the company is not bankrupt by then. The lady I spoke with said, "you SHOULD be good." I don't like putting my life at risk for a "should." Does anyone know any specifics about this? Thanks!
My TDI was built in Germany and I just got my recall letter in the mail yesterday stating there was no parts for a fix yet. I have no problem driving it as there haven't been any reported deaths from it. Plus if I'm in a really bad accident that can kill me the air bag is probably the least of worries. Lol

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Cptcrnch;5063338 I have no problem driving it as there haven't been any reported deaths from it.[/QUOTE said:
According to the report from the link posted by Perfectregin there have been 11 deaths caused by Takata air bags.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Wonderful. We can add that to our list of grievances. :)

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
According to the report from the link posted by Perfectregin there have been 11 deaths caused by Takata air bags.
I believe the majority of those were in Hondas.

Sctdi123

TDI
Mk6 golf
thanks for posting the VW vin check ... mine requires recall for airbag and have never received any notification from vw ... 2011 golf tdi

disgruntled

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
BMWNA is offering free rental cars to some owners of they don't feel safe driving their cars.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Perhaps that was just pertaining to VW then. Either way I'm going to drive on. :D

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Add this to the list... Geeze, VW...
Did you check out the above link? VW didn't have any more to do with it than BMW, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda....

Given that our cars will go to the crusher, VW just lucks out that they don't have to replace ours.

Working for an air bag supplier would not be high on my list of dream jobs. I design door panels. Aside from some crush zones, there isn't much safety-related that can go wrong with them. So I'm not worried about any legal repercussions of my work. You know, like GM ignition switches and such.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Did you check out the above link? VW didn't have any more to do with it than BMW, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda....
Given that our cars will go to the crusher, VW just lucks out that they don't have to replace ours.
Working for an air bag supplier would not be high on my list of dream jobs. I design door panels. Aside from some crush zones, there isn't much safety-related that can go wrong with them. So I'm not worried about any legal repercussions of my work. You know, like GM ignition switches and such.
Meh, I don't know why people keep defending VW's bad desisions. Audi made the cheat device, yet VW used it. So what if another company made it -VW chose them over other manufacturers. Dont get me wrong, VW makes great cars that are innovative and fun to drive, but they are not without their faults -and this TDI seems to be riddled with them. Sure they run great unless your HPFP goes or your inter cooler, or turbo or...

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Meh, I don't know why people keep defending VW's bad desisions. Audi made the cheat device, yet VW used it. So what if another company made it -VW chose them over other manufacturers. Dont get me wrong, VW makes great cars that are innovative and fun to drive, but they are not without their faults -and this TDI seems to be riddled with them. Sure they run great unless your HPFP goes or your inter cooler, or turbo or...
Because this issue is different. They had no input of this design flaw. They use those in lot's of cars. Takata is a reputable company. They just messed up.

Donald

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Meh, I don't know why people keep defending VW's bad desisions.
The airbag is a purchased part. VW and the other OEMs set specifications for its performance, but they don't design the guts of it.

Same with buying an HPFP. They work with Bosch to discuss the design and specifications of the pump, but it's Bosch that's responsible for the pump.

VW ultimately has to take ownership of the entire vehicle, but you have to understand that they don't engineer everything in it. As with any OEM, they purchase a lot of components.

But I understand that when you're frustrated, it's easy to just point the finger and assign blame in whatever way makes you feel better.

Sctdi123

TDI
Mk6 golf
The airbag is a purchased part. VW and the other OEMs set specifications for its performance, but they don't design the guts of it.

Same with buying an HPFP. They work with Bosch to discuss the design and specifications of the pump, but it's Bosch that's responsible for the pump.

VW ultimately has to take ownership of the entire vehicle, but you have to understand that they don't engineer everything in it. As with any OEM, they purchase a lot of components.

But I understand that when you're frustrated, it's easy to just point the finger and assign blame in whatever way makes you feel better.

I like German engineering ... but the policy making and attitude at VW is corrupt ... lying about emissions for years .. verifiable warranty claims dragging out for months... would not address air bag problem until pushed to... and the final nail for me was the top mgrs. still collecting a bonus ... yikes ! really ? shame on them... if I am offered a fair deal to get out ill be doing so ... :mad:

I made my living as a regional maint mgr for an international company riding heard on items far less. They are risking ours and their family's well being for the price of a Ero/$ ...

this is bad new folks

and it gets worse

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/1170...turns-its-back-on-the-electric-vehicle-leader

http://dw.com/p/1IjQS

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-investors-tci-idUSKCN0XX1XA

Last edited:

Ms9603

TDI
2012 Golf 2door
My TDI was built in Germany and I just got my recall letter in the mail yesterday stating there was no parts for a fix yet. I have no problem driving it as there haven't been any reported deaths from it. Plus if I'm in a really bad accident that can kill me the air bag is probably the least of worries. Lol
It's not the fact that you get a crash bad enough to kill you. It is because the airbag could send a big piece of metal into you neck and killing you if you got in a fender bender that was enough to deploy the air bag. Allegedly the airbags made in Germany do not have this problem but if that's the case, why are they recalling it then?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Hmm...just had my 20,000 mile service done yesterday...
Was told no recall to comply with...wonder what date the cutoff was when the airbags changed?

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI

I am fully aware it is a purchased part not made by VW. I was quite clear on that in my post. Your trite and off point remarks are not needed. It's my opinion, if you don't like it, that's ok, but stay on point. VW has been making bad decisions on the TDI down the line, whether they built all the parts or not. If you're happy with that, so be it. I am not and I will be giving them back this ticking time bomb ASAP.
Will I get another VW? Perhaps.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
With regards to something like an HPFP, VW would be more involved in the process, and maybe (maybe) should have questioned the pump design. That one involves more collaboration.

With regards to the airbags, it's basically the same inflators whether it's a Chevy or a VW. Different bag sizes, different charges. That's the stuff that Takata owns. VW evaluates the inflated bags in a test, but doesn't test the metallurgy of the inflators and guides. That's Takata's job. And VW can't be blamed for an issue that's also showing up in Takata airbags in American, European, and Asian vehicles.

Remember the Ford Explorer / Firestone tire issue. There are things that the OEMs are responsible for, and things the suppliers are responsible for. To just blame the company with the emblem on the front of the vehicle for everything is sometimes a quick rush to judgment.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Luckily my air bag light is on due to a wiring issue on the passenger seat so mixed blessing for me. In the wake of the Takata issue, I'll just leave it as is for now.

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
so how can we disable/unplug the bags?

VCDS?

Last edited: