T4 Pistons in the BHW Block!

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap

We've finally gotten around to put the T4 Pistons into the Kill Da Auto Passat Project car. Instead of ordering these from europe, I was able to source them a bit cheaper through Boraparts.com
Protrusion from the block was 1.05mm, exactly the same as the stock pistons.

Just look at that beautiful dish!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Nice looking pistons. :) Was this an oversize piston? Do you recall what the CR is or CC of bowl/reliefs is on this unit? Are those the factory valve reliefs? They look pretty deep. :cool: full 1mm or more?

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
These are 2.5L 5 cylinder pistons from the T4 transporter... For a 1.9L IIRC it's 1mm wider bore to make it a 2.0L... since I already had a 2.0L in the Passat project car, I didn't have to bore, just hone it.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
What are the advantages supposed to be for those pistons? BHWs are supposed to be the upgrade for the 1.9s, but Im always looking to improve upon my future to-do list.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
If I recall, these pistons need some work to them to make them work, correct?

alphaseinor

TDI
Oldpoopie: Based on the geometry with the BHW PD geometry, not as far as we can tell... Just a larger dish size... we'll see how it runs once it's done tho... not sure how many people have just stuck in the T4's. BTW, like your timeslips!

Mlemorie: The main advantage is a larger bowl, which drops the compression a little, also allowing for more fuel and air to be used without damaging the rods.

We'll know a lot more in the next few weeks when (and if) the LSD gets here for the MT 6 speed (please note this is a passat, not a GJB).

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
What about the oil squirters? The ones I have seen have the sprayers in the wrong orientation.

Would love to know since I am looking for pistons again.

O.C.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
What about the oil squirters? The ones I have seen have the sprayers in the wrong orientation.

Would love to know since I am looking for pistons again.

O.C.
Travis, the guy who I got my head from had 4 bhw pistons, the motor spun bearings, but the cylinders looked ok. I can see if he is still around and has the parts if you want. The motor had like 90k on it.

Or I may have a friend who'll do the piston machine work for us for real cheap.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I'm really interested how this turns out w/o machining the pistons. O.C. What happened to your pistons?

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I'm really interested how this turns out w/o machining the pistons. O.C. What happened to your pistons?
Nothing... But to run big valves and such I will need to machine my pistons and since I like to keep my car running I figure might as well machine and coat a new set and swap them in then sell the old BHW ones.

alphaseinor

TDI
The pistons don't need to be machined professionally, just need a drill and a cutoff wheel, then a dremel tool to get the ridges off.

Maybe I'll post a howto...

as for the valves, I've got a CNC head port program I'm still developing.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
These are 2.5L 5 cylinder pistons from the T4 transporter... For a 1.9L IIRC it's 1mm wider bore to make it a 2.0L... since I already had a 2.0L in the Passat project car, I didn't have to bore, just hone it.
I was actually wondering if they were available in std oversizes, because the BHW pistons are not. I found reference to this piston being around 16.8:1 CR, so you must be building a pretty nice set-up!
What is the OEM valve relief depth on these pistons?

alphaseinor

TDI
I did at least take photos of the process... probably will post later today or on monday.

Not sure if they come in oversize or not, you might ask Aaron K at boraparts

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
Did you actually measure the bowl volume? 2.5 TDI has 20.5 compression so it just might come out smaller than any 1.9 bowl.

alphaseinor

TDI
Oh, it's visually larger... I'll be able to dim them tomorrow sometime.