T-Shirts and Stickers for the Event?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I had no idea this event was going to be so huge! I really wish I could come, but 3700-miles RT and $700 in fuel, hotels, and food is a little much for me. But I'd still like to make the T-Shirts available.

Fred has asked me about making the shirts available. He assured me that I'd be reimbursed for my investment. But at $100 in the hole, I simply don't have the money to make this work. We were unable to come up with a better solution. I've done a little thinking and here's what I'd like to propose:

1) I don't wish to make any money from this. Here's a good chance to give Fred direct profits from T-shirt sales.

2) There are a lot of you planning to attend. Perhaps someone would like to volunteer to foot the initial investment, receive the shipment, and act as a point of contact (POC) for the t-shirts.

3) I can "sell" the shirts to the POC for $8.50 ea, or $100/dozen. I would only make pennies per shirt, which should cover shipping to the POC. (Hmmm... $15 price of shirt minus $8.50 average shirt cost minus $2.50 average postage equals $4 average profit per shirt... Now you guys know you're making me rich!)

4) The POC may send an amount of money he feels comfy with along with a list of the desired mix of sizes. I'll send him the agreed amount of T's/Stickers.

5) The POC then sells the T-shirts for $15 (or more if you want to increase Fred's gift), recovering his investment, then passing the rest to Fred. Any leftover T-shirts can be given to Fred where he can make a total profit from Canadian T-shirt sales (this is what Fred and I do with the black on white stickers).

Any takers? Please e-mail me if you're seriously interested. I currently have about a dozen larges and about a dozen XLs on hand. I'll have XXLs soon. So I'll be able to fill the POC's order fairly quickly. I'd like to take care of this prior to July 1st, giving POC plenty of time to organize. Waiting any longer will risk the T's not getting there in time.

Lemme Know What You Think,

------------------
Scott Farrell, KE4WMF
98 Jetta w/70k, 802mi/55mpg (best)
Scott's Jetta TDI Page
TDIClub.com Stickers and T-Shirts

[This message has been edited by Stealth TDI (edited May 05, 2000).]

DZL JETT

I am planning on attending the GTG on Labor day and your idea about the T-shirts sounds good. I've already made my reservations at the hotel.

What do you think the initial investment would be?? I would assume it would be based on popularity and demand.

I've chosen to climb the corporate ladder rather than finish my degree so I have plenty of time on my hands.

Any other information you could send would be great.

Kevin

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Kevin (and others),

I've learned through experience that just because a bunch of people say something sounds good or want something doesn't mean that they'll come through with an order (there's another thread discussing this now). There's getting the money together, trusting the one making the sale, and just finding the time to make an order. I'd say about 75% of the people that thought the t-shirts/stickers were a great idea actually followed through and bought them. Of course, I'm still getting trickle orders.

I'm not sure if the POC will suffer the same problem at the Labor Day Bash since they'll be right there, able to see, touch, give the money, and take the shirt. However, some will say they're going and not make it. What a crisis!

There seems to be two ways to try it. I'll leave which way up to the POC since s/he's the one putting the money on the line:

1) Guess - The POC says, "Hmmm, 50 say they'll come, so I'll order 36 ($300 investment) in the following sizes... 24 XLs (my top seller), 6 Large, 6 XXL. First come, first served." Like I said, a guess. BTW, if all 36 shirts sell for $15 in this case, you'll make your $300 back and have $240 to give to Fred. Up the price to $20 (a fundraising price) and he gets $420. Not bad.

2) POC sets up a pre-order system. I don't mean prepay with an order form (unless s/he wants do this). Just take a survey. Have everyone send an e-mail stating what they want. Then the POC can send me one consolidated order form and a check, substituting the price above for the $15.

I'm open to suggestions.

BTW, are you flying? You'll need a big bag if you decide to be the POC. If you're driving, you could swing by and pick them up on your way through. But there are risks with that (meeting place/time) unless you stay in the area for dinner or overnight.

Take Care,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Stealth TDI (edited May 06, 2000).]

DZL JETT

I'm planning on driving, so I guess I'll have to take the "risk" of coordinating my arrival time in El Paso to fit in with your schedule.

The survey/prepay sounds good. Once it is all decided (unless the shirt already is) is there anyway to post a picture of one or the design that will be on there..??

Also - if we did have the prepay option, how about those that do prepay, giving them the option to have their "username" printed on the shirt as well (kind of an identification thing for those at the GTG.)

I don't know, just a thought.

What do you think....

Kevin

DZL JETT

Disregard the part about viewing the T-shirt. I had seen it before but forgot what it had actually looked like. I did some surfing and found it.

I would imagine having the username on the shirt as well would probably be more costly as well..

Kevin

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also - if we did have the prepay option, how about those that do prepay, giving them the option to have their "username" printed on the shirt as well (kind of an identification thing for those at the GTG.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be quite expensive and difficult to track. There's a setup charge for each silkscreen that's made. It would seem that stick-on nametags would be less expensive and just as effective. Still, I'll look into it, just in case. Don't be too optimistic, though.

Scott