Switching Ipod cord with USB?

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
As a hater of all things Apple including their business philosophy, I would like to re purpose that weird proprietary pin dock to charge one of our android phones. You know that thing called USB that everyone adopted besides Apple. :)

Is there anyways to use that port for anything else?

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
VAG sells other cables including a USB adapter. Talk to your local dealer for the part numbers

By the way, I feel the same way about Microsoft that you feel about Apple but if we get onto this subject they will probably kick us off the forum;)

Last edited:

Tremulant

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI
Picked one of these MDI to USB adapters up last week off of Amazon. I've got a BlackBerry and I haven't tried mounting it via USB, but I've got a 320gb 2.5 HDD set up on mine and it's flawless. The only gotcha is that I had to format the drive FAT32. It didn't recognize it as NTFS. I'm sure it says that somewhere in the manual but I didn't read it.

AFAIK my BlackBerry charges off of it no problem. I also have a 2port USB cigarette lighter adapter to charge passenger phones.

Last edited:

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
If you order part # 4F0 051 510 S from Audi (or elsewhere) it has the red MDI 30 pin and USB adapter for MDI. I picked up mine on ebay for$35. The red cable allows me to play video from my iphone and the USB allows for everything else.

russdog5681

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf S TDI DSG
USB cable is a great option for the anti-Apple contingent, obababoy (of which I definitely consider myself a member!).

I picked mine up on Amazon and am running a 16GB USB flash drive for all my music. Yup, works flawlessly.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Haven't tried it on the new car yet, but I bought one of the Apple USB cables a few years ago. I had a small HD case so put a 120GB HD in it, formatted as FAT32 and it worked fine. Because I use Waze when I"m driving I now normally stream from my phone with BT. One thing to be aware of is not to get too big a HD since the only power is via the cable. As cheap as SSD's are now, that would be the best route to go and you don't have to worry about head crashes either.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Thanks for the info! Anybody know of an MDI to Galaxy S5 cable (& not have to go via USB)?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I don't think they have one yet spicy. Just these at least for now. Hopefully they'll have something out in time.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Thanks for the info! Anybody know of an MDI to Galaxy S5 cable (& not have to go via USB)?
I have the s5 and it is a USB cable. Not sure what you mean by not through usb. The other little port just helps with charging I think.

Also, thanks everyone, I am sitting at the dealer for 10k service and saw in the parts section the mdi cables. From everyone's post they are able to view fat32 file systems. Do they do anything else control wise? if I have pandora or slacker going, or even gps, does that also go through the mdi or is Bluetooth mandatory for that?

quattrothatcould

TDI
MkVII Golf TDI
The 2016's are supposed to come with a USB port instead of the MDI connector (allegedly). Someone posted the parts diagram (can't remember where) and it looks to be an "easy" plug-and-play upgrade.