Switched outlets magically became unswitched

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Switched outlets magically became unswitched, Battery Drain

I woke up to a dead battery several mornings last week. Battery tested okay and would start fine during the day.
I have an extension cord plugged into the outlet in the trunk and routed under the front passenger seat that I use to charge my phone.
All three outlets have always been switched, but I checked after the battery drain and all send power without the key in the ignition now.
It seems that my simple fix is to unplug the extension cord and enjoy my newfound electrical freedom responsibly, but I'm wondering how it happens, and if its a symptom of some other issue like a faulty ground.
Also, would the extension cord pull power with nothing plugged into it?
Thanks

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
sound like you have a stuck relay. the extension cord will not draw power with nothing plugged into it but everything else that is powered that is not suppose to be will be drawing power.

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately, that sounds like complicated electrical diagnosis stuff that I fear my brain is unequipped to handle.
Could a stuck relay cause the outlets to become unswitched?
I did replace a tail light assembly following a fender bender last week. Could I have caused this with a wire not tucked away just right? Maybe shorting on the body somewhere?

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately, that sounds like complicated electrical diagnosis stuff that I fear my brain is unequipped to handle.
Could a stuck relay cause the outlets to become unswitched?
I did replace a tail light assembly following a fender bender last week. Could I have caused this with a wire not tucked away just right? Maybe shorting on the body somewhere?
probably not, try touching all the relays after car sits a while so everything should be cold. if the relay is being powered it will be warm. I suspect the relay contacts are welded closed and the amp draw while car is off is low so wont create enought heat to feel...... but gotta start with the simple stuff first and I'm always surprised by how often I get lucky and find things being simple stuff. good luck!!!!

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Good suggestion. I was sure i found the problem when I discovered a broken ground wire in the door harness under the accordian boot. Replaced harness today, battery was deed after the job though. I'm charging now, will see how it acts tomorrow.
My remote is not locking the driver door, but the mfd and lights indicate open/unopen. Thinking about replacing lock module and see if this could be keeping something from sleeping.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Granted I bought the car used but my two interior outlets have always been hot key or no key, locked or unlocked. A feature I've appreciated from day one. Is this abnormal behavior? 2006 model here.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Granted I bought the car used but my two interior outlets have always been hot key or no key, locked or unlocked. A feature I've appreciated from day one. Is this abnormal behavior? 2006 model here.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the previous owner hard wired the outlets to me.
Something I have been pondering for a long time!:rolleyes:

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Wahhhh and here I was, thinking that VW was just that clever.. :rolleyes: Oh well, I'm loving it. Having to keep the key in to charge a cell phone is dumb so do it! ;)