Switched 12V source 2005 Passat

decoman

TDI
2005 Passat
This has probably been posted before but I can't find it. I have only had my car for 5 days now and with the exception of annoying door/belt chimes and auto looks (as in trying to open the passinger door after I park at home only to discover its still locked and my keys are sitting on the console so I have to walk back around the car to open the door), I really like it overall. It was only yesterday that I noticed that the cigarette lighter is not switched off with the key and because I have my XM radio and radar detector plugged into it, its easy to forget to take it out when I park the car for work or at home overnight. What is the easiest switched 12v wiring source so I can hook up another female lighter plug for these accessories? Thanks, Craig

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There is a post with switched power below the relay pannell in the dash.

Oh, BTW, the seatbelt chime and auto locks can be turned off.

-Jason

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Yep, with a Vag-com you can select among several lock/unlock & chime options. I set mine to unlock all doors whenever the key is removed from the ignition, and unlock all doors upon the first push of the remote. Much better, for me anyway.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
Craig decoman there is no problem leaving radar & sat-radio running all night or even for 3 nights. if you leave the car for ~6 nights, that might drain the battery excessively.
sincerely,
/eli-aspiring-to-be-a-dorf

decoman

TDI
2005 Passat
Thanks for input - need vag-com in Portland Or area

Thank you every one for your input and Greg for sending me a PDF of the fuse box IDs. I need someone with vag-com in Portland Oregon or nearby (I live in The Dalles - 90 miles East of Portland) to take care of the door/belt chimes and a few other issues that will make the car better. If you have one, please contact me directly at bergsma@charter.net. Thanks, Craig

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Hi TDI friends,
I am trying to hardwire my Garmin Nuvi. I bought an add-a-circuit
device to tap power from the fuse box. Now, I wanted to tap a swtiched fuse so the GPS will initiate auto shutdown when the key is turned off.

It seems all the fuses have constant power! I was surprised. Could someone please enlighten me as to where to find swtiched power?

thanks

-David

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Answering my own question, I found the rear wiper provides swtiched power. I used my fuse tap there. Says not to use ina socket with a fuse >10A, the rear WW was 25- I figure it wouldn't draw that much continuously, and I don't use it continously.

Just adding to the knowledge base.

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
The wiring harness for the stereo should have a switched line on it - this is certainly the case on euro models. It'll either be the red or the yellow wire - one is permanent, the other is switched by the ignition. Get a multimeter and test both.

Airliner

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant Quattro 2001 silver
The 75/X terminal on your relay plate IS switched power directly from the load reduction relay.

Easy and safe to use.