Swapping Wheels

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Question. Selling back my 2011 Golf Tuesday and still no offer on my 2014 Jetta. Jetta tires getting thin and Golf tires were new. I think 15" on the jetta and 17" on the golf. So I brought them to a sop today and had them swap the rims. Took a few miles but the TPMS light on both cars came on and won't go off. What do I have to do?
You're doing buyback on both cars? Nothing. Use an old fashioned tire pressure gauge to check the actual tire pressure now and again. If the TPMS warning lamp bugs you, a piece of electrical tape will fix that.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I bought accessory rims for mine that arent included in the buy back. I'll need to get cheapo's for the turn in , I suppose... Then I guess I will sell the VW accessory wheels.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
You're doing buyback on both cars? Nothing. Use an old fashioned tire pressure gauge to check the actual tire pressure now and again. If the TPMS warning lamp bugs you, a piece of electrical tape will fix that.
Don't even worry about it any lights you have coming on the dash. My TPMS light was on, headlight bulb out, DRL bulb out (converted to all LEDs and HIDS). Buyback handler, she started the car, looked around inside, looked in the trunk, opened up glovebox and other storage areas -- she was more doing me a service in checking to make sure I didn't leave ANYTHING behind.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I think my buyback handler is a future executive. She couldn't even start the car, because of the clutch. She had me start it so she could check the mileage, and then had me go park it.

Snufalufagus

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf TDI, 13 CC R-Line (wifey's)
Put air in the tires and reset the TPMS. Both of those cars use the ABS rotation sensors and have no pressure transmitters.
Pressure is good. I am assuming the wheel diameter is throwing off the ABS sensors causing the light as the sizes on the cars are now not stock. The light will not reset with the button.

I am planning on selling both back but the light does bug me and wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt anything.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
My 2015 Audi went back with 15" steelies (2mm clearance to calipers) and 16.5 year old bald snow tires with an "00" date code. No ABS light after correcting tire pressure.
ABS based TPMS systems operate by looking for a tire that has a different rolling circumference. And 195/65/15 or 205/55/16 or 225/45/17 are virtually the same

wuzilla

TDI
2012 JSW
Turned mine in with 3 Audi C5 A6 wheels (complete with authentic New England finish) I had in my shed, the spare installed and the 4th corded Audi wheel thrown in the spare tire well with a giant slash down the side. Quite a few cobweb spiders went along too.

They held enough air to get to the dealer, but I did bring the compressor along since they weren't holding overnight. Found for $50 on CL and had been meaning to refinish and use as winters (that was about 3 years ago).

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Around here it would be pretty unreasonable to fault someone for turning in on steel wheels. Our potholes regularly bend alloys, and people replace with steel.

And, in winter, most people running winter snow tires are running on steel wheels.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
did they even bother to look for a spare? reading this posts it sounds like at most they do a cursory lookaround at the cars.
The guy got in the car only to start it and take a photo of the tachometer and mileage. Didn't check the glove box, back seat or trunk. He said he did refuse to accept a Passat the day before which had no head unit installed.

Fpsphil

TDI
2011 A3 TDI, 2009 Sportswagon TDI (Gone), 2016 Golf R, 2000 Audi S4
I took my spare out of my 09 when i went to turn it it no problem at all, my A3 is going back in with steelies as i love the sports package wheels on that car

zdman

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I am about to turn in. It has two brand new tires. My daughter has a 2010 Jetta TDI that she is keeping, at least for now. So if I simply swap the tow wheels from the 2009 to the 2010, then will the tips sensors just reset and work after I drive the car a few minutes?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I am about to turn in. It has two brand new tires. My daughter has a 2010 Jetta TDI that she is keeping, at least for now. So if I simply swap the tow wheels from the 2009 to the 2010, then will the tips sensors just reset and work after I drive the car a few minutes?
Yes. ;)

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Turned mine in with old tires and rims plus I put some old tires I had lying around in the trunk!!

meltzdown

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Hey, all. I'm new to this forum and haven't posted and not sure if this is where to start with my question. If this is the wrong place, please redirect me... Thanks!

My son has an MK4 (2001) Golf TDI. I found a set of Audi B8 A4 wheels (2011) and want to swap his out for them. I know the bolt pattern is 5x100 on the Golf and the Audi is 5x112. I was wondering if spacers that change the pattern would work. And if so, what thickness would be best.

Thanks for any help/acvice!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I see a set of four spacer/adapters on eBay for about $75. I would be sure to use hub-centric adapters. They will widen the stance which could create rubbing issues.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Hey, all. I'm new to this forum and haven't posted and not sure if this is where to start with my question. If this is the wrong place, please redirect me... Thanks!
My son has an MK4 (2001) Golf TDI. I found a set of Audi B8 A4 wheels (2011) and want to swap his out for them. I know the bolt pattern is 5x100 on the Golf and the Audi is 5x112. I was wondering if spacers that change the pattern would work. And if so, what thickness would be best.
Thanks for any help/acvice!
You're better off posting this question i the Upgrades sub forum (non-dieselgate related).

However, that plan won't work.

The difference in wheel offset between the Golf and A4 is only 5 or 6 mm, which means the spacer / adapter ring can't have enough material (thickness) for the lug bolts to thread in to. You'd really want to be up in the 20mm+ territory to make this work.

Even then, I'm no fan of wheel adapters. Too many unknowns as to material quality and workmanship, plus subject to error during wheel installation. You're better off finding wheels with the correct bolt pattern and offset, even if it costs a little extra.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It would work, the stance would just be a bit wider(could cause rubbing). I agree that it is preferable to have the right wheels though.