Swapping instrument clusters?

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
So I found this nice instrument cluster off a 04 gasser today at the junk yard... Is there anyway I can swap this over on to my 02 tdi? I really like the look of it. Thanks in advance.... Also my trip on the odometer stopped working.

Last edited:

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Not without doing a immo delete or having someone who can retrieve the SKC and then program the cluster with a VCDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
SKC? I do have a buddy who has VCDS.
Nope, VCDS isn't enough. Need to have someone (tuner/programmer) delete the immobilizer in the ECU and either "pair" the ECU to the new cluster or use something such as VagTacho to extract the Secret Key Code (SKC) to eliminate the blinking immobilizer light in the cluster. The tachometer will register the correct rpm, but the scale and redline obviously will be incorrect.

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Nope, VCDS isn't enough. Need to have someone (tuner/programmer) delete the immobilizer in the ECU and either "pair" the ECU to the new cluster or use something such as VagTacho to extract the Secret Key Code (SKC) to eliminate the blinking immobilizer light in the cluster. The tachometer will register the correct rpm, but the scale and redline obviously will be incorrect.

Okay thanks. Yeah I'm okay with the whole rpm issue as long as the new tach gives me me the correct rpms.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You will have another problem too, which is that the odo will be wrong. You CANNOT set it once a few miles have been accrued; you can only set it forward (once, obviously) from zero.

There are places that can zero it; they can probably also get the SKC. You need BOTH SKCs (old and new cluster) to pair them or, as noted, an immo delete in the ECU or the car won't start.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
You can always Frankenstein yours, pull the needles and the "paper" and install in yours ... the lcd panel on that boras cluster might be dead anyways ...

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It's a lot more trouble than it's worth, you can get the visual gauge speed and fuel cards and swap them into the diesel cluster. Just have to remove the back panel and swap them.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
It's a lot more trouble than it's worth, you can get the visual gauge speed and fuel cards and swap them into the diesel cluster. Just have to remove the back panel and swap them.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
I wonder why no one made a card that looks like the gas cluster, except with the correct information. I always admire the silver color when I see these in person.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Easiest and cheapest would be to buy an 04 TDI cluster and transfer the gauges, needles and lens to your existing cluster. I've found them on eBay for as little as $50.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Easiest and cheapest would be to buy an 04 TDI cluster and transfer the gauges, needles and lens to your existing cluster. I've found them on eBay for as little as $50.
If you're extremely handy with a solder iron you could even swap the odo trip meter lcd if that's the issue with the present trip meter.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I don't believe the LCDs are even soldered on these clusters. You should be able to swap the LCD by just removing the metal cage that surrounds the LCD.

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
I would prefer to find someone who could change the skc and the mileage at once. I Dont really care to do the immobilizer deal

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would prefer to find someone who could change the skc and the mileage at once. I Dont really care to do the immobilizer deal
Get in touch with member jetta, 97. He will be able to do what is needed and/or at least answer any questions correctly.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=87519
There are no doubt many others, but consider him a "go to guy".

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Speaking of clusters. Last week, mine momentarily thought the time was 10:95pm when it was 10:45pm. Then last night my odometer and trip odometer went a bit wonky. Wondering if it is the cluster or the ECU?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I'm not sure what you mean. This thread outlines ways you can, it's just a fair amount of work. It's probably easier to just find the appropriate cluster for your car.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Finding a diesel cluster that matches your Immobilizer shouldn't be that hard. If you have a 2003 car, then you have an IMMO3 car, which means you can use the 2004 clusters in this style because they are also IMMO3. That would remove any cost for deleting the Immobilizer.

Since this thread was originally created, you can now get the SKC using a free tool:

And, if you pay $15-30 for the appropriate cable, you can use the free VCDS Lite to do the pairing.

I don't know if this next statement is true, but if your current cluster and the replacement cluster are from the same manufacturer, I think you might even be able to clone your EEPROM from one to the other, and then you wouldn't even need to pair anything. Someone else here can probably verify if this is true. I know this can be done like-for-like clusters.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Finding a diesel cluster that matches your Immobilizer shouldn't be that hard. If you have a 2003 car, then you have an IMMO3 car, which means you can use the 2004 clusters in this style because they are also IMMO3. That would remove any cost for deleting the Immobilizer.

Since this thread was originally created, you can now get the SKC using a free tool:

And, if you pay $15-30 for the appropriate cable, you can use the free VCDS Lite to do the pairing.

I don't know if this next statement is true, but if your current cluster and the replacement cluster are from the same manufacturer, I think you might even be able to clone your EEPROM from one to the other, and then you wouldn't even need to pair anything. Someone else here can probably verify if this is true. I know this can be done like-for-like clusters.
Thanks. I have used that and never thought about going that route. I might look around and see if I can find a 2004 TDI cluster. Perhaps @gmenounos has some thoughts on this.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
One other option you may want to consider, which is definitely not the "economical" option, is to look into Euro MFA/FIS clusters and/or the ColorMFA upgrade. Both give you a rudimentary engine computer, though ColorMFA offers way more features. You would need an upgraded right stalk too. I think gmenounos makes ColorMFA clusters, and there's also:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I would avoid cloning the entire EEPROM from one cluster to another unless they were the same part number. I think it is better to just copy the important bits (e.g. odometer, immobilizer data, SKC) when cloning one cluster to another. That allows you to do things like switch from a regular cluster to MFA/FIS, TDI to gasoline, etc.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Gmenounos helped me set the odometer and etc on a full FIS euro cluster I got. It's an immo 2 though. I was going to install it in my golf, but I'm selling the golf now, so I guess I'll be selling the cluster as well. I got the wiring and MFA stalk from clusters by Litke. I wish it would work for my passats, but it's not immo 3.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I've never messed with any clusters before. After reading through some things. I think I got it.

1. Get me a cluster for an 04-05 TDI
2. Connect it and get the SKC using kw1281test ( I have the SKC for my current one)
3. Use VCDS to do an Cluster Adaptation following this video
What do I need to do set the correct mileage?
Anything I'm overlooking or not understanding?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I've never messed with any clusters before. After reading through some things. I think I got it.

1. Get me a cluster for an 04-05 TDI
2. Connect it and get the SKC using kw1281test ( I have the SKC for my current one)
3. Use VCDS to do an Cluster Adaptation following this video
What do I need to do set the correct mileage?
Anything I'm overlooking or not understanding?
Message gmenous to get that. I used kw1281 test to reset the mileage. Basically what you do is pull the eeprom as a backup, then pull the section that has the mileage, insert into hex editor and change all the numbers to FF (zero in hex) then reset the cluster. It will then read zero. Another option is to flash that section from your previous cluster (I did that on mine)