Swapping in rear defrost button w/timer?

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I've searched and found a good number of posts relating to this subject, but nothing definitive about actually doing any mods.

I have a 2004 Jetta, and the rear defrost is a simple toggle switch - there is no timer function, and I must remember to turn it off. I personally prefer to have it on a timer.

I understand that earlier MkIV's have a timer for the rear defrost.

My question: Can I just install a rear window defrost switch from an early MkIV to get the timer? If so, does anybody have the part number for the rear defrost switch with timer? If not, what other work or parts required?

(I believe that some earlier cars also have the timer switch controlling the defrost on the rearview mirrors - I'm not specifically interested in that functionality (I like having separate controls), if that makes a difference for part numbers.)

Thanks!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I can't help you with the part numbers or whether the parts will simply swap with your existing parts, but as far as the timer for the heated rearview mirrors, that's a negative. I wish they were tied in with the timer for the rear defrost as that would be ideal, but alas, they are manually controlled.

TCBaker

TDI
03 Jetta Reflex Silver
I’ve wanted to do this too. At least with the rear defroster shuts off when you turn the car off. At least that is what I have been led to believe. The rear defroster unfortunately stays on after you turn the car back on. It would be great if it were as simple as a switch, but some how I doubt it.

TeleDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Reflex Silver
Simply order one from a 2002 Jetta.
Part number for switch from 2001-2002 Jetta is 1J0 959 621D 01C.

Part number for 2003 on is 1J0 959 621C 01c.

2001-2002 switch costs about 1.5x the 2003 on one, so it must be the one with the timer in it.

Let us know how it works out...

T.D.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Dawg! That's great!

I'm going to spend some time with the Bentley manual and see if the wiring diagrams indicate any other differences (I doubt it). Have to see what it will cost me, too...

TCBaker

TDI
03 Jetta Reflex Silver
Thanks Dawg! That's great!

I'm going to spend some time with the Bentley manual and see if the wiring diagrams indicate any other differences (I doubt it). Have to see what it will cost me, too...
I checked Impex, and the switch cost is $55.29, If the wiring is not different, it would be worth it to me.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm... not sure if that will be worth it for me...

I pulled my switch out last night, and the part number is the same as noted above for the newer models (1J0 959 621C).

I checked the wiring diagrams in Bentley... From 2000 and up, the heated rear window reference diagram is the same for all Golf/Jetta sedan models (diagram 52-17). E15 is the rear window defogger switch, and it is shown as simply a manually operated switch. Z1 is the rear window heater. There is no indication of a timer component anywhere in the system; it must be intrinsic to the switch - I'm fairly certain we could just change out the switch.

[edit]
Just called my dealer... CDN$83.27 for what they identified as the 1999-2002 switch (1J0 959 621D), vs CDN$58.04 for the newer "C" version. I can't see spending that kind of money... which probably explains why most previous threads on this topic seem to just die out, unresolved.

Anybody want to swap their timed switch for a manual switch??

[/edit]

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Great find, Baker - I have a line on a 2000 wreck as well; my fingers are crossed.

Keep us posted.

TCBaker

TDI
03 Jetta Reflex Silver
I picked it up at lunch today and installed it in the parking lot of the recycler. It does time out as it should, and when you turn the key off it also goes off. I will have to wait for some frost or fog on the window for the real test, but I don't have any reason to believe that it won't work.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Neat-o, it's now on my list of mods! Thanks for doing the legwork on this one.

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
Thanks, I will call our local yards and see if anyone has them. So it is 99.5 to 2000.5 models that had the timers, or was it in the 01's as well? Why the heck did they go back to a straight switch? Do I smell a group buy?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I wish they were tied in with the timer for the rear defrost as that would be ideal, but alas, they are manually controlled.
There is a member from Grand Rappids with an early 2000 Golf, built in Germany, with the mirror defogers triggered by the timed rear defoger. His mirror adjuster switch had a 0 in the middle posistion instead of the defog icon. I verified this with my vag-com, the mirrors came on with the rear degfogger. Maby we should look into retrofitting this system too

-J

kubo

TDI
Golf 2003
fitzski, seems like I am following in your footsteps. Few places I called today, i got answer - don't have it, some has already called in today morning.... gotta keep searching.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL

If you get a lead on 2 switches - let me know!!

My dealer quoted the switch w/timer part number as coming from 1999-2002 models. Not sure on the lighted vents (although I'd like to do that, too).

Jason... on a German model... would that be related to the folding mirror option, which takes a different control knob?

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
My 2003 model (built in Nov. 2002) has the timer. Without going out to the car and checking, I'm guessing the timer shuts off after about 10 minutes??

acmercg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I have the 03 golf, I think the switches are the same, and I have the timed switch... do you have the wagon? maybe the German cars have one thing and the brazil cars have another?

TCBaker

TDI
03 Jetta Reflex Silver
I have the Jetta sedan, and it had the on/off switch, not the timed. But that is all fixed now thanks to this forum, and a wrecked 2000.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
My 99.5 Golf (also German built if that makes a diff) also has the rear view mirros tied into the timer for the defrost. I have no power optoins, just the standard power locks, not windows or mirrors.

TCBaker

TDI
03 Jetta Reflex Silver
If anyone was waiting to find out for sure if this mod works, it does. The conditions were right to be able to test the switch. The rear glass was cleared of moisture, and the rear defroster turned it self off.

In my opinion this is a very functional mod if you one a 2003 or later

Vorsprung

Ive been trying to figure this out also, didnt know it was that easy. I had this feature on my 2001 and lost it on my 2003 WE. I guess its time to start looking for the switch. :D

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
What about the recall VW issued on those switches on all 2002 and older???

I picked up like 3 of the defrost switches from J-yards looooong time ago to use in my 2003 but they all start to do weird things after a while. They turn on and off on and off on their own.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
In my 2003 i had the switch wich when pushed it would stay pushed in till you press it again and it lights up yellow.

The switches tha i tried were all of the style wich when pushed they come back out on their own but change to yellow. And all the ones i tried would turn yellow /red yellow / red whenever they please...without me touching them.

AlbanyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it must be production date - my Golf is an 03' built in Brazil, 10/02 - I don't have the lighted vents, but my switch IS timed. Sometimes I think VW does this to us just to keep us guessing :)