Swapping bottom rear seats from 2015 GSW with 2009 bottom rear seats

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Hi All;
I am thinking of trying to swap the bottom rear seat of a 2015 GSW with the ones from a 2009 TDI Jetta SportWagon.
The ones from the 2009 lift up and allow the upper rear backseats to lay flush or one can put a heavy load directly on the metal subframe instead of on the lower rear seats.
Has anyone looked into this, or tried to remove the 2015 bottom rear seats?
The 2009 bottom rear seats come off very easily as they pivot on metal hinges that can be squeezed to remove them from the small welded mounts that could be easily added to a 2015 once the bottom rear seats are removed, if the bottom metal frame has the same shape as the 2009.
Any thoughts/feedback/suggestions?
Thanks!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
different car, different seats.

first step would be for you to pull the bottom back seat ouf of your 2015 and see how it is attached.

you will need to understand how it is attached in order to get it out.

I do not think it will work.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
2015 bottom rear seats

Thanks for the drawings, Mike!
Where did you get those from?
I wish Bentley still made service manuals for current TDI models!
I have the one for the 2009, but none available for the EA288/2015 models.
Any alternatives?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
^I believe that's where I downloaded all of mine at erWin. Purchased a daily subscription and just went to town on everything for the MK7. Something around 15 manuals and 37 wiring diagrams.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so do you have a figure/section that talks about how to pull the bottom of the rear seat?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Not quite sure how to get the pictures in here, but here are the instructions without pics

3.7 Bench Seat/Single Seat, Removing and Installing Removing
– Move the front seats all the way forward.
– Unclip the guides for the LATCH child seat anchor (quantity: 4) from the anchors.
– With both hands, grasp the bench seat under the seat frame.
– Pull the bench seat up forcefully with both hands in an upward direction so the wire hooks on the bench seat release from the mounting grommet
– Repeat the procedure on the other side of the bench seat
– Gently lift the bench seat at front and slide the wire frame out of the rear hook by pushing toward the rear

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
one way to post anything you can see on a windows computer is to use windows commands.

while your focus is looking at what you want to see, hold down the alt key and press prtScn

this cuts the image. and puts it in the clipboard
you can paste into word, for example, and then use utilities in word to save as picture, and from there, you can upload.

kind of convoluted, but it does work. you can use a photo manipulation program to crop the image if you like.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Thanks for the info Mike and adjat;
I am waiting to get a 2015 GSW S TDI from a dealership as soon as they can sell them once an emissions fix for them has been approved.
Then I will be selling back my 09 to VW, and that is why i was thinking of swapping my lower rear seats, from the 09 to the new 15: the 09 are much nicer, they tilt forward if need be. Very easy to remove on the 09, 2 clips for each seat that need to get squeezed a bit. Hopefully the rear backs will match, they probably do not mount the same.
ML

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Thanks for the info Mike and adjat;
I am waiting to get a 2015 GSW S TDI from a dealership as soon as they can sell them once an emissions fix for them has been approved.
Then I will be selling back my 09 to VW, and that is why i was thinking of swapping my lower rear seats, from the 09 to the new 15: the 09 are much nicer, they tilt forward if need be. Very easy to remove on the 09, 2 clips for each seat that need to get squeezed a bit. Hopefully the rear backs will match, they probably do not mount the same.
ML
I would first buy a 2015 and then decide if your going to yank out the rear seats. And if you do, what are you putting back there? If it is that heavy, then you are using the wrong vehicle and I would suggest a truck.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Completely different body and chassis between the Mk5 Wagon and Mk7 SportWagen. If the shape is close enough to physically fit then you will need to weld in the bungs that the seat bottom pivots on. This is to fit the 2009 seats on 2015.

Going the other way there is a "T"ish shaped plate on either end that the seat hooks on as well as two holes with plastic inserts that the seat frame pushes into.

Double check with ELSA - yup, need to do some cutting and welding.

Jason

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Yes Sunnyb, the plan is to get a new 2015 from a dealer (GSW S TDI 6 speed) and then swap the bottom rear seat bench with my rear bottom seats from the 2009 JSW, as I like those much better.
Quite a few things I like better on the 2009 (IRS, better door seals, nicer rear seats, buttons for all audio settings..) but it will soon need some $ for maintenance, and the EA288 is much more fuel efficient, so planning to sell it back to VW after getting a new 2015, if/when the emissions fix is made available and thus those cars can be sold to public by dealers.
Some rumors mention a possible 1 year lease?
No one seems to yet have clear definite answers on when the 2015 will be made available.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
We were able to procure 2 of the 2015 GSW TDI cars, in S trim both with 6 spd!
Oh yeah, will end up an even swap for our 09 JSW TDI S 6 spd and 15 GSW once we do the buy back for our 2 used cars.
So now ready to investigate this issue/project, will start by removing the rear seat from the 15 we are selling back (and not one of the new ones, just in case any plastic clips get broken), and seeing how my 09 rear seats fit in...
Will update this thread once done.
Thanks again to meerschm (Mike?) for the info about erWin and vwpartscenter, those links will soon become essential tools for maintenance/tweaks!