Swapping Bi-Xenon's from 2015 Golf TDI to 2017 Golf

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Can it be done? I have several TDI's that will be turned in this Nov. One is a 2015 Golf TDI with lighting package. I travel 30 miles at each night through poorly lit country roads and think VW halogen are poor at best. On the other hand I love the Bi-Xenons.

I have decided I will purchase a manual 2017 Golf Wolfsburg which does not have a lighting package option. My question is can I exchange the halogen system in my 17 Golf for the Xenon package on my TDI.

Would they fit and what issues could I encounter?

Thanks for your input!:)

Boostingperformance

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta, Mk5 Jetta, B5.5, Mk7 Golf TDI RLine
At minimum the body control module will need to be swapped as you will have no way to control the HID light modules. The one problem you will face is that wiring circuits are different. The ground circuits for the windshield wipers is shared with the lights. Many people have problems with spikes in electrical current in the ground circuit which results in damage to wiper motor module.

If the vehicle has HID lighting package factory you can easily swap Golf R HIDs with LED turns though. I have done the swap on my MK7 Golf

Going from No HID to factory HID is not easily, with that said installing an aftermarket set of HIDs on a factory halogen car is easy too. The problem with aftermarket HID is that they are not DOT approved and are illegal to use on street. Factory lights have leveling motors and shutters to control light output so your not blinding on coming traffic, I believe aftermarket lights don't have all these options of control.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have seen it done on the Mk5/6 JSW platform.

It is not easy. Let me see if I can find a link to conversion.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I have seen it done on the Mk5/6 JSW platform.

It is not easy. Let me see if I can find a link to conversion.
Any luck finding that post?

I really would like to upgrade my halogen (i.e. non HID) headlights to the factory "lighting package" headlights offered my model year. I initially thought that I could purchase the parts from VW and install the setup- I was not aware that you need to do more than than plug and play.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It all depends on how the lights are controlled. For example, the lights on a 2012+ Passat are all controlled by the body control module, while the lights on a Mk6 Jetta (at least the ones with halogen lights) are controlled by the headlight switch. I don't know how the Mk7 lights are controlled, but this is a potential challenge that you'll need to look into.