Swapping a TDI into a Land Rover

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
You want portals but are not going to wheel?

You can toss in an h55/ land cruiser axles and 37s, the power train will be the most reliable mall crawler around at a fraction of the portal costs.

Biggles48

TDI
MKIV Jetta and a military diesel, used to have a MKI rabbit N.A.
I want portals, I do intend to wheel I just don't intend to use it like a buggy because it's not going to be a buggy.
What I currently have is a Dana 60/ 14 bolt combo and H1 split rims that I started getting going for an axletech portal conversion. When I started that I was working with an M1009 (k5 blazer) on 37's.
I'm trying to build a smaller lighter rig out of a series landrover now. So my hang up on the 1tons is probably a combo of:
sunk cost fallacy
Desire to overdo everything I do
Attempting to build a truck that is a little overbuilt so that I don't really have enough horsepower to break ****.
I don't want to destroy an axle every time I go out anymore.

Hence me saying earlier I'd consider 37's a max for 1 ton axle tech portals.
Smaller axle smaller tire

nomoremondays

TDI
1.9 AHU into a Samurai!
I would build it with 34's and a more typical axle.

Set it up for overland type work. But that's just me, and I have my similar rig so I obviously like it that way.

Biggles48

TDI
Ready parts availability is probably a lot more realistic than being indestructible.

Biggles48

TDI
Ok. I have come back to reality and I think I'm going with FJ80 axles and I think I'm looking for a nv4500 tranny. It's the shortest 5sp I can think of unless someone knows of something better?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Screw the nv4500...go with an h55f land cruiser transmission. Fj60 split transfer case with twin sticks would make a good on road/off road combo.

Has proper offset for fj80 axle.

Takes the same advanced adapters sbc adapter bellhousing as the common h42 fj60 4 speed trans found here in the states.

If you use this transmission use a 1968 checker marathon I6 clutch. Its a very low profile pressure plate that fits the common 153 tooth flywheel. Its a 10 spline clutch disk that fits common chevy/yota input shafts. I can't remember if I used the Chevy or yota throw out bearing years ago when I used a similar set up.

Yota LC slave cylinder has a shorter throw than a small block Chevy so your 1988 camaro 5.7 clutch kit will likely not fully disengage.

Biggles48

TDI
What is the advantage of an H55F over a nv4500?
Is it shorter? Lighter? Cheaper? Does it have a better range of gear ratios? Does it still have PTO take offs? I genuinely don't know anything about the Toyota stuff but the Toyota stuff is the correct offset and an appropriate size for my project. No matter what I do I want to be able to twin stick it and run pto accessories and still have the thing be reliable.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes you can attach a pto to an h55 case.
H55 came stock begind many famous Toyota diesels like the 2H, 3b, etc. I believe its shorter slightly shorter than the nv4500 overall. It takes regular gear oil and not full synthetic like the 4500. The h55 is the same Length as the 86 ish fj60 land cruiser h42 4 speed. Same transfer case. Twin sticks are no issue.

IIRC the 4500 is a 4 speed plus grand gear where the h55 has 5 usable road gears. I don't like large gear splits on an on road low power diesel rig with huge tires.

One thing I didn't like about my pto winch, if I flipped i can't right myself. You can with an electric winch.

At one time your local toyota dealer was able to order these despite not being sold in USA vehicles . They also used them in the fj40 so short wheel base friendly.

If you buy from another country make sure its 2h capital so you can use the very common h42 engine adapter to match it to SBC. Its been a while but I think the diesels had a different legnth input shaft, I cannot recall 100%

There are also many usa cruiser vendors that sell these used, rebuilt and probably some still new.

Last edited:

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
Cruiser Outfitters in Utah is one vendor that sells brand new, from Toyota H55f 5-speed transmissions and transfer cases. They can spec various gas or diesel input shaft options.

Another (cheaper and lighter) option would be an R150f or R151f Toyota transmission, though it is significantly longer than the H55f.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm using the r150f in my 87 4 runner build with the 2.0 BHW. Same trans as an ax15, there are more than a few 4bt guys running around with an ax15. So long as you use an 89 to 95 r150f it has the correct front drive shaft

It has the centered rear diff.

Last edited:

Biggles48

TDI
Length is going to be super important in my build. It sounds like the h55 might be a good option.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The h55 iirc is only a 17% overdrive 5 th gear where many 5 speeds are @27%

This may be of no issue for you as the 1.9 is a motor that won't mind 3k rpm on the free way and swb lifted vehicles feel squirrely above 60-70 mph.

Therefore attention must be paid to gearing to get a happy medium for both off road and on road performance.

Last I looked over/under drive transfer case gear sets were available for the land cruiser split case.

After failing to find a reasonably priced h55 on my first diesel conversion I used a ranger over drive which allowed me to split any gear between 1:1 or 27% over drive. Also worked as my toyota trans to SBC adapter.

Biggles48

TDI
I don't think I'll worry about the overdrive too much but it's something to consider. You're talking about a transfer case overdrive?
A 1960 Landover at 70mph is a white knuckle kind of experience. If I can safely operate it on the interstate without getting rearended I'll be satisfied.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the more popular transfer cases can be modified for a higher/lower range gears.

I hated my fj40 above 65