Swap question:

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
I found a complete 5 speed swap from a 98 diesel beetle, and would like to put it in my 01. I know the shifters changed in mid year 99, is that something I have to worry about when doing a changeover? Should I just get a shifter from a later car?

Also, the cluster is from a 98, other than the presence of a red line at 55, are there any other differences, or should I find a cluster from a later car?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The 98 parts will fit, the shifter design actually has slightly shorter throws... but,

The older design shifter in the 98 is more vague on the side to side. A lot of people will upgrade to the later shifter to improve the feel (precision) and then get a dieselgeek kit to shorten the throws.

The cluster will not work, as your 2001 has Immob I, and the 98 does not. If you are dead set on getting rid of the PRND21, remember that you will need to VAGCOM the car to tell it that it has a 5-speed once the swap is complete. This will also blank out the PRND21, and leave just the horizontal display area.

If you need to get rid of that, then swap the faceplate in the clusters, or find a 98-99 cluster.

*EDIT* - 5500 rpm redline? is the tranny out of a 2.0 gas car? If so, the gear ratios in the tranny are completely wrong - your TDI will turn 3200 rpm at 55mph - no bueno.

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I replied to your post over on the org. These parts will all work fine, but as stated you do not need the cluster. When you recode the ECU to manual and remove the TCU, the PRND21 display will just go blank.

The only interference with the early style parts is the shift weight and the auto power steering line which cannot be removed like the late style can by installing the DG short shifter. Either replace it with a manual line, or you can slightly bend the automatic one to clear.

Early style shifters will bolt into later cars, and later style shifters will bolt into early cars as long as they are all A4 platform cars. You just have to be consistent, the shifter, cables, linkages/carrier, shift selector tower and selector base all go together. The transmission itself is the same otherwise. For example, my swap parts came from a 99 NB with the old style shifter. However I found all the parts I need to swap over to the new style shifter so I can install a DG SS.

Lots more info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151516

Good luck!

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Thank you. I knew about the sloppiness of an older shifter, from my friend with a 99 who is irritated and wants to swap shifters to a newer one.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Yay! Congrats Beej..

Looking forward to getting my hands on Electra to give her a proper transmission ;)

Guess I better start reading up and getting familiar with the process :)o

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
I'm so excited...will try to get her to you this week before Florida, but if not, John and I will bring her up as soon as we get back.

I need a driving lesson, LOL, ten years is a long time.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Should be just fine I think. The flywheel isn't the issue there, issues related to that are more in the pressure plate and clutch disc.

For not much more money...this is an option. It includes the necessary bolt kit and already has the better flywheel included.

I would still ask Aaron what he thinks, I don't want to speak for him since he will be doing the install.