Swap Question Im sure its been discussed

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
So i just bought a very very nice 1977 240d. However it needs an engine. I have located an engine out of a 1981. Is this a direct swap or no? Wikipedia says the 81 had more horsepower but that doesnt mean it wont bolt up the same. So anyone have any Idea i have posted on pelican parts and am waiting for a response there as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Both are W123 cars, and the engine is mostly the same I think. I know the engine in my W115 240D was a little different.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Pretty sure all those W123s will accommodate both the OM616 (4 cylinder) and OM617 (5 cylinder) engines with the same mounts. I have a '83 240D I swapped a 300D turbo engine in with zero modification, not exactly the same thing but same chassis and engine types.

But if your 240D is a 4 speed, there is flywheel work to bolt that to a OM617 as it never came with a manual transmission.

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
There will be differences in the throttle linkage and glow plug relay systems in those two cars. Vacuum pumps are also different, but that should give you no trouble. No trouble with motor mounts or mounting location as long you retain the correct mounting arms with the relevent motor.

OM617 did come with 4 and 5 speed manuls, just not in the US market. OM617A (turboed) never came with a manual. :)

1981 is a way better motor than the 77's IMHO. The 77 motor is pretty much what came in OH's W115.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
It's all done. Glow plugs are just as good as factory. Glad I had an entire car as there were a ton of minor nuisance differences.