Swap manual trans from a 2006 to a 2010 DSG?

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Having issues with my DSG on my 2010. Possible mechatronic failure.

Looking for other options and possibly just doing a swap. I have a LQV DSG transmission. I don't see many 2010's for sale in my area but there are some good priced 2006's.

If I were to pick up a 2006 parts car would a manual transmission from a 2006 fit my 2010?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You know that's a different transmission, right? It is only a 5sp. The CR diesels got 6sp manuals. So it may "bolt up", but I am guessing something with the way the ECU expects the gear ratios to be will cause some sort of problem, perhaps something as simple as no cruise control function, but who knows.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea I figured it was a long shot but just wanted to confirm.

How do I find out what other code transmissions would be able to replace my LQV? Once the weather gets better I'm going to try check out some local self pick and pull yards to see if I can find anything that matches.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It would have to be one that was bolted to a CR 4cyl TDI. Have you considered just fixing the DSG? Even a new M-unit will be much less of a headache than doing a manual swap.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
A new M-unit is less hassle on the install but it's quite expensive. I need to replace my DMF as well so I will be removing the transmission anyways.

I would only do a manual swap if I found a cheap parts car. Otherwise I might just swap it with another DSG to avoid the headache.

I've been trying to diagnose the root cause on the M-unit failure. I replaced the N215 solenoid and triple checked the fluid level. I cleaned the ground under the battery tray as well. If I clear the code it will run fine until the it warms up again and then I'll get a 18222/P1814 - Pressure Control Valve 1 (N215): Open/Short to Ground error. Dealer says the oil leaking into the connector is causing the error. I think its maybe a bad ground or faulty wire.

This issue came up a couple of days after the dealer did the heater core under warranty and a DSG service.