Suzuki Samurai ALH swap

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 00 Golf, 02 Beetle
Hello. I thought I would put my latest project up for others to see. I'm putting a Volkswagen 1.9 turbo diesel in a 87 samurai. List of mods prior to engine swap are
YJ spring conversion
2 inch yj springs
Toyota axle up front
Rock assault Toyota rear axle
5.29 gears with a spool in the rear
Toyota power steering
OTR steering
4-1 gears in case
EOS t-case cradle
I was going to run the samurai trans with an acme adaptor but I don't think the 190mm clutch will handle the power and torque coming from the ALH. I found a 1984 Toyota Supra trans at the local junk yard and found it has a higher over drive than the same year truck trans and you can bolt a 22r bell housing right to it. When I looked at getting the adaptor from acme I noticed they don't use any dowel pins on either side and only 4 of the 5 bell housing bolts on the motor. Plus it costs 600 bucks. I figured I can do it better. So I did. Here's what the samurai looks like now and the adaptor. The adaptor use's all 5 bell housing bolts and the bottom 2 are dowel pins with threads in them to bolt from the engine toward the trans. I've been working on this for a while so I'll post up a bunch of pics as I can.

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Nice
Did you dial indicate the runout? I had to do this to my homebuilt adaptor,then
drilled the dowel pin holes with tranny in place.Got it to within .004.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
I should have said ,drilled with the bellhousing and a "slice" of an old tranny to indicate off of.
You could do it with the front case of the r154(?) you have.Might be a little
tricky too get the indicator in there,but you have to do it so your clutch will last
longer than a 1000m.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I should have said ,drilled with the bellhousing and a "slice" of an old tranny to indicate off of.
You could do it with the front case of the r154(?) you have.Might be a little
tricky too get the indicator in there,but you have to do it so your clutch will last
longer than a 1000m.
this^^ very critical as only about .005" off center will wear components and cause vibration

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Cool looking mounts. What vehicle are the rubber isolators from?

Are there any issues with mating the older Toyota truck t-case with the 2wd W58 trans?

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
The isolators are from a Toyota 22r truck. I'm trying to use as many off the shelf parts as possible.
The T case is a samurai case not a Toyota. I used a larger flange with the Toyota flange on the case then made a really short jack shaft out of a toyota cv shaft.
[/URL][/IMG]

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I am digging this. I have an ALH in thinking about using for a conversion so this is very inspiring! keep up the good work!

thedude78

TDI
Reading through this is making me wish I could start mine, very nice work!! If you feel like you need to get rid of the motor mounts and the adapter plate then I’ll take them off your hands! But on a serious note, very nice work and I’ll be following because I hope to get mine started soon.

Last edited:

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I think I'm going to need to hold on to the mounts. I might be able to make another set though. I think I would just use 1/4 plate instead of 3/8. 3/8s was over kill but it was what I had laying around. I need to check the plate run out before I go making any more adapters. I'll let you know if I make another one.

thedude78

TDI
Thanks. I think I'm going to need to hold on to the mounts. I might be able to make another set though. I think I would just use 1/4 plate instead of 3/8. 3/8s was over kill but it was what I had laying around. I need to check the plate run out before I go making any more adapters. I'll let you know if I make another one.
Sounds like a plan, keep up the good work and us updated!

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
The ALH water neck on the back of the head has three glow plugs I won't be needing and the hose is much larger than the Suzuki's 1/2 heater hose so time to make a new one.:D

Last edited:

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
I made the brackets to mount the VW coolant bottle and fuel filter then made a bracket to hold the braided stainless steel fuel lines. I tig welded the fuel line bracket together and it was the first thing I've actually tig welded.

Last edited:

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally have my clutch master cylinder mounted now. I used the inner hole for the fuse panel as the lower hole for the master cylinder. I'm going to relocate the fuse panel higher on the fire wall to give the master cylinder the room it needs. I made a backer plate for the master cylinder that way it won't try and damage the fire wall just pushing on two bolt heads.

Last edited:

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
I've run in to a snag and need some help from the Toyota experts. I was told the trans I have came from an 84 supra NA and that would make a W58. According to Advanced auto the supra and a pick up both use a 21 spline input shaft. Since I'm using a 22R flywheel I got the clutch kit that would match it. Now for the problem. It looks like my trans has a 29 spline input shaft. So what would i get a disc from that is 29 splines, will it work with a 22R flywheel and pressure plate, Or could I change the input shaft to a different one so it would be 21 spline?

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
Started building my down pipe over the weekend. I'm making it so the down pipe can be removed without unbolting the exhaust from the turbo in case I need more room to get the starter out.

Last edited:

OregonBricky

TDI
00, 02 jetta alh
To me it looks like you ran some bolts into the holes with some spacers, then welded them together with the braces. Did you just clamp the newly welded jig down and drill all the holes? Then tap? Looks great!
How thick is your adapter?

Asking as I am going to make my own when I get to that point. I like basic :D

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
Basically you are correct. I made the spacers on my lathe and made the holes a snug fit to the bolts to keep them lined up. The bottom two I put shoulders on to line them up in the dowel holes. The ring on the crank is also a snug fit. After I wielded it all together I made a slug to go where the crank shaft was and bolted it down to the plate. I drilled the holes one at a time and bolted the jig to the plate as I drilled each hole. I didn't put up a picture of it but I made a similar jig for the toyota bell housing. I didn't tap any of the holes because the plate is only 3/8 mild steel and I didn't want to worry about pulling the threads. Instead I made two slugs for the bottom two holes that are threaded and go to the bottom of the dowel pin holes in the block with bolts coming from the motor toward the transmission. To get the threads for the bell housing I got wheel studs and pressed them into the plate. Two of the studs I had to remove a few thousands from on the back then I recessed them into the plate 1/8 so they sit flush with the back of the plate. Hope this helps.

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
The radiator is and S&P rabbit radiator with twin fans. If you google S&P radiators it should pull up the site. They will make custom units too even one with an inter cooler made in to it but this one is just an off the shelf rabbit one with both hoses on the right. The steering box is off a 95 and back Toyota Four runner. I had to change the pitman arm because the Four Runner one has a ball joint made into it and I'm using FJ80 ball joints.