Suspention for Autocross

Spätzle Burner

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Ok, if you were going to do a suspension for autocross and could not use Shine springs, what would you use.

I think I am going to go with Bilstein HD's and a spring that is close to stock height. What would you do?

Ride quality is not too important to me.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Find someone that can custom wind springs, in order to mimic Shine's springs.

otherwise, stock front springs, with GLI 1.8T rear springs, with the Bilstein HD, or Koni Sports, to mimick the reverse rake of the Shine suspension

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Why not shine springs? If ride quality was not a concern maybe consider H&R race springs or a ground control type coil over set up on bilstein hd's, sports or koni adjustables.

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Spatzle: You obviously already know about geometry changes with lowering at the front, and of course, the rear matters not at all from that perspective. It depends on how many preparation points you can tolerate. At least in Canada, the Eibach setup with Bilsteiin SPs was a dealer installed option from VWC, and I have a variation on that theme (VR6 wagon springs to maintain front ride height) in my wife's street car. IMHO, a bit soft for DOT race tires, but would not be bad for genuine street tire class.

Two things you could consider: IF you want to lower the car, use the Audi TT front spindles to drop a bit but maintain correct geometry. Think seriously about replacing all of the rubber in suspension with something a bit stiffer (urethane or VW Motorsport rubber). If you are going for broke, do the darn coilovers with double adjustable dampers and start logging records of setup.

IMHO: pay great attention to camber (adjustment at front maybe camber plates if allowed, camber shims at rear), alignment in general but above all else dynamic camber from rim width contribution (hint: here is no such thing as cantilever slicks for solo). A G-tech pro may be your best friend for a year or two. I would be looking for the smallest diameter, widest and lightest wheel/tire setup you can run without getting clobbered by prep points.

A few years back when I still had some time to play (and before they outlawed karts in solo competition in Canada) we had a MkIV Jetta competitor (on Shine IIRC) who would drive their 1.8T car (chipped only) with whole family to an event, remove the child seats and put the race rubber from little trailer on the car, take a good shot at FTD unless the karts or F2000 cars were running (YES, he was often one of the top 3 door slammers in the REGION!!!), pack the whole family up, head to MacD's and drive 600kms home. The car has serious dual-use potential.

Last edited:

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Ok, if you were going to do a suspension for autocross and could not use Shine springs, what would you use.
Custom coil-overs from Ground Control. It's not something you'll find on their site. You'll have to call and talk to them.

One of the guys in my region ran a GTI in D-Street Prepared with GC coilovers with custom rates, no lowering F & R bars and 18" wheels running 285/30 Front and 245/40 V710 R-comps. Combined with engine HP increases, the car was crazy fast. So fast, in fact, it scared him so he sold it and bought a Miata R already prepped for E-Stock. I still kick myself for not buying the SP suspension off him for my car with thoughts towards prepping it for FSP.

This is one situation where the technical/suspension forum on the VWVortex is a good resource, although you'll need to spend a fair amount of time digging.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Yeah, I know pyce and others vacated, but "assumed" much of what they posted was still on the site... somewhere...