Suspension Upgrade Collection List

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hello all,

I was looking through the forum and couldn't find a definitive list of items to upgrade the road handling/feel of our Sportwagens so I thought I would start a thread that we could eventually turn into a sticky.

What I would like to compile a list of is the other VAG parts that will fit our wagens and be a slight upgrade like the Audi Upper Strut Mounts for the front.

All help is appreciated and as information comes in I will update this top post.

Thank you!

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
A collection of OEM+, Lowering and Lifting Options would all be great information to compile.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone installed an electronically adjustable suspension oem or aftermarket?

Menso3

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Hi, I had purchased a new Sportwagen in 2012. Went to the Audi dealer and purchased the springs/shocks for a similar year Audi A3 TDI Sportback w/ sport suspension. I figured that it was the closest match to the VW. I also installed the Audi TT upper strut mounts. I purchased (but have yet to install) the A3 sport suspension/S3 front control arm bracket (rear mount).

My goal was to make the car handle better w/o dropping the ride height. While there’s a bunch of excellent high quality choices, most lower the car. I didn’t want threaded struts for the street. The factory engineers do a great job getting a balanced spring rate that works well in most situations and the correct shock valving. In this case the ride is firmer, you do feel the imperfections in the road, but it doesn’t beat you up and it's fun. It’s going to be similar to a GTI. I’ll do 650 miles a day and it’s not problem. I put 100k on this set-up and never had a single regret. A year ago, bought a 2014, and this was the first upgrade I did (I’ll put the control arm bushings on this car). This setup should work on 2009 – 2014 Sportwagens, do not know about other years.

With 15K miles (so the springs have settled), the measurements from the wheel centers to the edge of the fender – front - 14” & rear – 13 ¾”. VW has spacers that can be installed with the spring for height adjustment. Some of the related bolts are “stretch bolts”, don’t reuse those. And if you have very many miles on the car, it would be worth checking for worn components (ball joints, bushings, links, CV joints, etc). Lots of DIY’s online, job is not that difficult to do. Shop around for the parts, can be a big difference in markups. One dealer was going to charge me additional shipping because the gas shocks are “hazardous materials” so be aware of shipping costs when shopping.

These are Audi part numbers.
Ft springs – 1K0-411-105-DB R springs – 8P0-511-115-R
Ft Struts – 1T0-413-031-DB R shocks – 1K0-513-029-HQ
Rear mount for front control arm L – 1K0-199-231-K R – 1K0-199-232-K
The Audi TT upper strut mount is easy to find online.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Just replaced my rear 19 mm sway bar with a 21 mm from a B6 Passat as first step in a planned upgrade including front knuckles and a-arms. My initial response is just why didn't the car come this way from the factory? It seems to ride about the same although since I replaced my worn trailing arms at the same time I don't know what to attribute to the new (OEM) bushings vs the sway bar. Body roll seems almost gone and turn-in is quicker. I'll comment more after more time with the bar.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
For a driver who actually knows how to drive, FF cars always respond well to a larger rear bar. Liability is why they are setup the way they are from the factory. Lowest common denominator.

Good thing about a stiffer bar versus stiffer springs is.. Ride comfort does NOT change going over dips, humps, undulations, or speed bumps with a bigger bar. As long as your right and left are going over at the same time. Which they usually are. To get the same anti-roll benefit of a bigger bar with only stiffer springs your ride comfort would be affected.

Last edited: