suspension/injector questions

98bugtdi

I am wondering what kind of gas milage loss comes with 520cc injectors? 25mm or 28mm rear sway bar? I am looking to run 17*8 rims or 18*8 but don't know if they would fit. I am planning on running the bilstein pss9 package so the car will be lowered somewhat. thanks guys

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I am wondering what kind of gas milage loss comes with 520cc injectors? 25mm or 28mm rear sway bar? I am looking to run 17*8 rims or 18*8 but don't know if they would fit. I am planning on running the bilstein pss9 package so the car will be lowered somewhat. thanks guys
I never lost any gas mileage with any mods to the car. As a matter of fact, my gas mileage is infinite... figuring I have travelled 80,000 miles without using any gas. none. at all. ever.

But seriously, FUEL mileage was unchanged/slightly improved with my new injectors.

A sway bar won't affect your mileage at all, unless it is made from some material in the lower right-hand section of the periodic table.

Now, those 18x8's will completely trash your fuel economy, unless you can find a company that will make some out of beryllium for you. Can you say $$$$$$$!!!?

98bugtdi

i wasn't asking if the sway bar would change the gas milage; only the fuel injectors. But i was wondering what size sway bar to go with? More along the lines of 17*8 rims and i am looking for a light weight setup over the stock set.

DZLPOWR

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat wagon
The stock 16 inch wheel/tire setup runs about 42lbs combined. An average 17 inch wheel/tire setup weighs about 50lbs, so if you are able to stay close to the 42lb range you shouldn't see a change in your fuel mileage. With 17" Audi TT wheels my mileage dropped 5 miles per gallon.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I've had the PowerPlus 520 injectors for a couple of thousand miles now. My average has gone from about 43 to 39-40. (I did have the intake cleaned at the same time, so, perhaps my pre-new injector installation mileage could've been better). I'm satisfied nonetheless, since the power gain is substantial from the injectors alone. I'm sorry I cannot offer any advice about suspension/ wheel upgrades. I have no experience there.

clove911

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, blue
I'm assuming the vehicle is a A4 so if it is you can run any size tire you want. The wells are deep enough and you won't rub. I am lowered 60mm in front and 45mm in rear with schmidt 17"x9" on front and 17"x10" on rear. I run a 45 series tire on them with no rub. I also have a very stiff suspension so a soft suspension would definantly rub. I also have 520's with stage 3 RC chip and its awesome. Your gas mileage will change but its worth it if you like torque.

go_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Golf, 04 Jetta
i personaly like just a little oversteer. i only added a 1" (25mm) to the rear of my b4. the current trend in sway bars are 1" (25mm) front/ 1 1/8" (28mm) rear.

Suspension:sway bars, keep the following in mind when sizing your bars.

The ideal suspension on any vehicle should be designed to provide completely neutral handling during hard cornering. Most vehicles are factory-designed with understeer (push) to make the front end of the vehicle start sliding first under hard cornering. This approach is to help prevent the average driver from spinning off the road when decelerating in a corner. Stiffening your suspension one end at a time can induce severe "yaw" conditions. Over-stiffening the rear suspension can create excessive oversteer (tail-out). The opposite occurs when the front is overstiffened, creating understeer (push).

98bugtdi

Thanks for the answers guys!!! Wondering if ebach springs with bilstein three way adjustable shocks would be a good upgrade over bilstein's pss9 package or h&r's coil over package. Perforance difference big? Simply trying to save some money for other mods. thanks

BuzzMC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Everyone has a different answer re: suspension (or anything for that matter).

The best thing you can do is research a lot and make what seems like an informed decision after that. the forums over at vwvortex.com have a LOT of suspension information.

I decided on the Eibach Pro System plus.... It's only been on the car a couple days, but it has made a HUGE difference.

If you decided to go down that road, I would add if you're going to do the work yourself, you might consider just the Eibach pro system (no plus... plus adds f/r swaybards), and just buy the rear sway bar seperately, either an Eibach one, or a similar neuspeed deal... whatever.

The front swaybar removal/reinstallation was a headache and a half... that's the only reason I say this. The rear bar, and all the shocks/springs were a piece of cake... the front bar was a nightmare

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
Look mang.. It simple, some of the weenies around here like to bash on anyone wanting to hook up a nice set of wheels. Half of them run their stock 15" wheels and thats all well and good for these lads but you know what, if you wanna roll and look good then heck, loosing a MPG or two aint gonna hurt ya. Either way my 17" Miglias make little difference compared to the hit I take on my milage thanks to my heavy foot. Maybe they can make me a right leg out of "beryllium".. ?? Best bet is to go with a light wheel that you like, the Aristos off the GTI would look mint.

Bilstein PSS9 coils are the way to go with full adjustibility across the board, something I would have gone with if it weren't for the $$, I'm running on the FK Coils and love them.

To finish the rear sway is a great addition to improve the handling but I have heard nothing but dissapointment from people who have upgraded to an aftermarket front sway and more often then not they go back to the stock sway. At worst if you plan to drop enough to hit the sway bar then opting for longer endlinks could help. The front sway is a ***** job on the MKIV platform..

Now marvel at this TDI's 19" of wheel goodness..

/* goes off for another beer...
//* ponders if a beryllium beer mug would let you hold more beer...

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
I don't think you'll see any power improvement. Cat-backs haven't been shown to do much on the TDI, at least from reviews in here. Maybe a better downpipe...

98bugtdi

ya but they -ghl- are saying that thier downpipe doesn't fit on the factory exhaust system. Are you running a different exhaust? I'm only trying to do the downpipe to save money. thanks

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
From all I gather, GHL is still putting the downpipe together. Kennedy would be a better person to speak up about this, since he was/is the test man for the pipe.(last version they sent him unfortunately reduced to 2.25", which would work with a stock exhaust. But he has a GHL 2.5" muffler-less setup)

GHL may not be able to offer a version w/ a Cat. Don't know the story there.(from the thread a good while back, there was an issue of sourcing one that'd match up to a 2.5" downpipe.) Doin the Cat. delete is simple enough...not much point in gain vs. enviromental damage.

Such a thing as a 2.75" exhaust made? Aftermarket is stock size 2.25", then 2.5" and then 3". I am receiving a GHL exhaust in a day...2.5" 'J' pipe w/ a resonator + 27" straight extension from the 'J' pipe for a side exit.
I'll post pics.

Questions on suspension are out of place in this forum...surprised no one has thrown that comment in here yet
Bokou info in the non-engine upgrade section to sift through and on VWVortex...give it a try.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I don't think you'll see any power improvement. Cat-backs haven't been shown to do much on the TDI, at least from reviews in here. Maybe a better downpipe...
This is absolutely correct. The stock piping is 2.0" for the A3/B4 guys and 2.25" for the A4 guys. Replacing everything behind the cat still results in a 2.0/2.25" exhaust behind the turbo. What's needed is a turbo-back 2.5" or 3" system. This would almost certainly mean that the cat would be removed.

A long time ago someone in England dyno'd his A3 Golf TDI with stock, cat-back, no cat, and 2.5" straight-through. Removing the cat only netted 1HP. The cat-back did nothing. The 2.5" turbo-back netted 11HP.