Surging under boost - did some searching - am I missing anything?

96tdiwagon

TDI
B4 TDI Wagon
So since I got my car, it has experienced some surging under boost.

The problem was made 'worse' (or simply amplified) when i bought my .216 injectors and then again when I installed my TDTuning Stage 2 tune.

I did some searching and found that a common culprit can be the fuel filter and the N75. My fuel filter looks ancient and i have a couple other small issues that make me think its time for repair, so i have ordered one. As well, i am about to order an N75 valve to go with it (on a side note - what other TDI's have this same N75?).

I've replaced all my vaccuum and boost lines, my air filter looks clean, the car has no cat... all of these i have read could also effect it.

I dont have a vagcom personally but a friend of mine does and i could take a look at some logging if need be - i'll be doing the fuel filter regardless and probably the N75.

Thanks guys

- Phil

96tdiwagon

TDI
B4 TDI Wagon
I inspected it and it seemed to be fine, although starting to get a tad soft. I can replace that pretty easily if its worth a shot but it seemed to be overall in good shape

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I had that sort of thing happen on my last car with the AGR, it's basically the ALH but with the wastegate turbo. Anyway I took the thing apart and cleaned the turbo, intake and egr and after that everything ran great. I'd check the wastegate isn't sticking a little bit as they do get sooted up and can get sticky, mine was.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Must be able to do it using the actuator or a big screwdriver, I had the turbo off anyway so it was easy but I'm sure it can be done in situ.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I've read that powerblaster and either the screwdriver or pump (to force the wastegate open) repeatedly helps. If it was driven softly, the wastegate can crud up.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I had this problem a few years ago. It was a combination of bad vacuum/boost lines and a failing N75. That eliminated 90% of the surge. So what cured the last 10? A new MAF sensor. All the A3/B4s are old enough now to have weak MAF sensors regardless of mileage so don't ignore it.

:)

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
Check to see that the little lines from the N75 aren't clogged with goo. I chased a limp and surge problem for months. I had the lines on the car spec'd on this site from Mcmaster carr for a couple of years. One day I took off both ends of the blue line and tried to blow through it. It was plugged with black goo. Cleaned out the goo (and since replaced the line again) and no problems.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Check to see that the little lines from the N75 aren't clogged with goo. I chased a limp and surge problem for months. I had the lines on the car spec'd on this site from Mcmaster carr for a couple of years. One day I took off both ends of the blue line and tried to blow through it. It was plugged with black goo. Cleaned out the goo (and since replaced the line again) and no problems.
Was your problem surging under boost also? My car started doing the same thing. Around around 25k she starts pulling then stopping, pulling then stopping.. It almost feels like im riding on a swing sorta all the way to red line.