SuperTech 5w-30 gas engine oil OKAY to use???

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
So my wife had her serpentine belt let go on her 2015 Passat TDI w/153k miles when she left for work. She said it sounded like heavy rain (belt strands flopping around) and had no power...she thinks. We flat bed it to a local dealer. They said there was "much metal in the oil pan" $13,632 for a new long block That was their diagnosis after charging us $1058 to look into it. I went in to see for myself. They brought out the oil pan and I saw NO metal (which would look like simmering particles in the oil). After thinking about it, we paid to have the car towed home. I immediately looked to see if they pulled the oil filter, they did not, I pulled it and there were NO metal pieces, none in the oil pan they never re-mounted to the car, when we asked for the car back they still wanted to charge us $1058 for diagnosis. All they did was pull the oil pan/pick up, and removed the timing belt covers, they said it was 7 hours labor, I said I could do that drunk, with an eye patch and one hand in 2 hours including jacking up the car. My wife talked to the manager after I had doubts about the "totaled" diagnosis and he said if I can drive it back in, he would refund all our money, including the charge to tow it back to our house.
Therefore, replaced the oil pan, serpentine belt, put in a new filter and used cheap Walmart 5w-30 SuperTech synthetic oil for gas engines because I had it on hand and if the engine was truly totaled why put in expensive oil??
Anyway, we got all our money back, plus towing fees. I have driven the car about 150 miles so far, drives just as good as it ever has, and I feel they were just trying to fool my wife into getting a new engine or buying a new car.

Should I change the oil back to a diesel specific oil? That's the question.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The engine needs the correct spec. It's about cam wear ect....
In a nut shell.
Order the oil you need in whatever brand you feel is your budget. Brand is basically moot compared to correct spec.
When you get it, just drain and fill and move on.
Your not going to hurt anything right now. I personally would not let it go further to just save a few bucks. The few hundred miles isnt a big deal. 10k .... maybe!
You are going into the barrel of monkeys here... hot topic of what oil to use....
Everyone will have an opinion. Oil is better than none. As long as it's not a long time.... eh....

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
My question about the oil is more to do with using a gasoline engine oil in the diesel, where it is not made for a modern diesel. Won't it hurt your particulate filter? Your catalytic converter?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You wouldn't want to run that oil for thousands of miles, mostly because it isn't DPF compatible. But it won't hurt anything being in there for a few hundred. Give it a good look for particles when you drain it out and replace with 507 spec oil. Sounds like a very shady dealership to me.

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
You wouldn't want to run that oil for thousands of miles, mostly because it isn't DPF compatible. But it won't hurt anything being in there for a few hundred. Give it a good look for particles when you drain it out and replace with 507 spec oil. Sounds like a very shady dealership to me.
Oh, they were much more shady than I made it sound here. They weren't gonna let us take the car back, they blamed me because I did the timing belt, when we picked up the car they just threw all of our stuff in there, they ripped our engine cover in half almost, they broke a sensor. It wasn't as pleasant as I made it sound. I'm just happy they apologized, gave all our money back including the tow charge back home. 2 hours after they said it was "catastrophic engine failure" a salesman called and offered me $500 for a trade-in on it.

I'll run the oil through a coffee filter and check the oil filter again, but to re-state they said there was "much metal in the oil pan and pick-up" and there was not any. It's funny afterwards. Remember to always question!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Dude, just count your blessings and change the oil.

In my neck of the woods the dealer (which I despise and avoid like the plague) now has oil at a reasonable price, something like not even $8/litre. Why keep running the engine with the wrong oil, just to save so little? Also, that oil could coke at the first DPF regen.

That incompetent dealership tried to say that your HPFP had a catastrophic event and that you had metal in your fuel, but couldn't even get their story straight to con you....good for you!

If you indeed had a High Pressure Fuel Pump problem, you start by looking at the pressure sensor, right on top of the HPFP:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Pedro is giving good advice. Change that oil to a 507 oil without further ado. I also get mine at the dealer. IDparts is another good source, I buy stuff from them too.
By the way, I thought my opinion of VW and its dealers had hit bottom, until this post came up. Only a dealer could transform a need for a new serpentine belt to a "catastrophic engine failure" and total a car. It just never ceases to amaze me that they pull this stuff.

Just a thought-if the car was covered by the dieselgate warranty, you might have got a brand new engine from VW, even though it did not need it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Or you could perminantly fix your emissions system and run better diesel rated oil...some still have smog checks. But I digress.

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
Or you could perminantly fix your emissions system and run better diesel rated oil...some still have smog checks. But I digress.
I don't know how to do that, no smog checks here in Michigan. Hmmmm
I switched the oil, I bought oil from idparts (Rowe), love that place, get all my stuff there. I just wasn't sure on how long I could run the non-DPF oil. I want everyone to know, the car is running beautifully, I did't find anything in the oil when I changed it out, nothing in the filter, she's back on the road getting great mileage. No, I will not go back to that dealer, ever! I'm so thankful to be here and to ask questions. I know gas engines but diesel engines are greek to me...lol. Thank you everyone!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You can run it as long as things start failing and more metal would start showing up in a used oil analysis. IMO don't bother worrying about how long you could have run it with the wrong oil, just be glad you have the right stuff in now.

Ive seen some great youtube videos of engines running at red line after pouring bb's and cement mix into the oil fill cap. Also saw a nice NB TDI suck in glitter pass the MAF and shoot out the exhaust.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I don't know how to do that, no smog checks here in Michigan. Hmmmm
I switched the oil, I bought oil from idparts (Rowe), love that place, get all my stuff there. I just wasn't sure on how long I could run the non-DPF oil. I want everyone to know, the car is running beautifully, I did't find anything in the oil when I changed it out, nothing in the filter, she's back on the road getting great mileage. No, I will not go back to that dealer, ever! I'm so thankful to be here and to ask questions. I know gas engines but diesel engines are greek to me...lol. Thank you everyone!
If your interested dm me and I can steer you on how the do it.