Sunroof opening on it's own

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
On my 2003 Jetta Wagon, the sunroof will open (tilt open--not slide open) for no apparent reason. It tilts about 1/2 way open, not fully. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. I'll be driving along and notice the motor opening it and an increase in noise. Sometimes it'll close itself, sometime it won't. The switch is in the closed position while it's doing this.

I can exercise the switch and it will work (opens and closes fully). BUT, (I'm sure this is important, I just don't know how): I have to close the window by moving the turn switch ssslllooowwwlllyyy. If I just turn it to the closed position (quickly) the sun roof will start to tilt down, but hit the 1/2 way point and then open up again. If I go slowly, it'll fully close.

The window has never leaked and the drain is draining.

Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it? It seems to me to be a switch/sensor problem, but I haven't been able to dig up much information on the inner workings of the sunroof in these cars.

Thanks in advance for any info!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I just had my s/r cleaned out and reset by VW to clear up the same problem. There is a recall on this. Call your dealer. This should cost you nothing. Tell them that they need to reset your s/r, not just clean out the track.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I just had my s/r cleaned out and reset by VW to clear up the same problem. There is a recall on this. Call your dealer. This should cost you nothing. Tell them that they need to reset your s/r, not just clean out the track.
Does the recall include anything more than just dealing with the drain tubes? It covers something electrical/sensor?

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
My sunroof started doing this the other day and lasted about 10 minutes where it just had a mind of it's own. Havent had it happen again though.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Does the recall include anything more than just dealing with the drain tubes? It covers something electrical/sensor?
The recall has to do with the track being cleared out. The problem is that there can be an issue with the pinch sensor getting tripped. Tell them that you have a problem with the pinch sensor and they will reset it for you. Free. Of. Charge. :)